PDA

View Full Version : hey guys!! need help with my Z. please

woodsZrider
03-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Hey, I race harescrambles and GNCC races and as you all know they are cold starts. My bike, a Z400, starts kinda slow, just turns over slow and takes longer than other bikes to start. Does anyone know how I can eliminate this problem. I would like to get off the starting line faster.
Thanks jd

Toadz400
03-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Make sure your battery is fully charged and all the connections are clean and on there good.

Are you running your quad up to operating temps before the cold starts?

woodsZrider
03-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Battery is charged and I'll check my connections.
Yes, I let my quad fully warm up befor the starts.

MXRACER86
03-03-2005, 06:09 PM
The starter could be going!

youngin
03-03-2005, 06:27 PM
The starter clutch assemblies on these bikes are notorious for messing up.. When mine went bad, it sounded like the timing was off when i tried to start it. It would turn over so slow and take for ever to start it seemed..

Toadz400
03-03-2005, 06:59 PM
I was just going to say your starter could be going out, same thing happened with my dad's truck when it started to fail.

Z-Racer-5c
03-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Could be the timing chain also. When it hits the end of the stock tensioner it will get hard to start. I have a KFX 453 with Keihin 41mm carb with all the goodies done to it. It starts like a top and does not need the choke. I have had no problems with the starter and I do not have the stock cams in the bike. Have fun at the Orange Crush this weekend. I would love to be there but I am leaving for TX on Sunday, so I will not be able to race. Looks like I wont be back in time to get to GA either but will make the rest of them. Here are the bikes Just before loading for Orange Crush GNCC.

mattonln
03-04-2005, 08:15 PM
try going up a couple sizes on your pilot jet, this will eliminate the need for a choke and make cold starting easier... the starter is probably going out too, my friends dad has a z and his starter went out after just 10 hours of riding!

ZSK
03-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Put your stock CDI back on.;)