View Full Version : easier way?

XCredrider
03-03-2005, 12:52 PM
i remember on rriders that some people were saying something about heating up your piston and cylinder up in the oven and that way you would not have to break it in. You could just bolt it on and go. I cant remember the specifics on this. Does anyone know about this?? Also some people were saying that you should run some typeof sandpaper or something through the cylinder and it would make your engine last longer in between rebuilds..anyone know anything about this?? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Kody

wilkin250r
03-03-2005, 01:03 PM
:huh :huh :huh

PART of the purpose of break-in and heat cycles is to get the piston and cylinder to expand together and seat together. But in order to do this, you need the piston moving inside the cylinder, so it gets seated in the ENTIRE cylinder, top, middle, and bottom, not just at one point.

The other part of the break-in is to seat the rings. This can ONLY be done if they are moving and scraping against the cylinder walls, filing off high spots. You don't get any filing action if the rings are sitting stationary at one spot in the cylinder.

JDiablo
03-03-2005, 01:12 PM
I wouldnt do that,i would do the way Wilkin said,the PROVEN way

XCredrider
03-03-2005, 01:23 PM
it was just something i read. I plan on doing it the normal way but i was just wondering what you guys had to say. What about the sandpaper in the cylinder. I think it was supposed to get rid some of the extra metal shavings or something..(i cant remember..its been a long time) what do you guys think about that???:confused:

pismoracer
03-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by XCredrider
i remember on rriders that some people were saying something about heating up your piston and cylinder up in the oven and that way you would not have to break it in. You could just bolt it on and go. I cant remember the specifics on this. Does anyone know about this?? Also some people were saying that you should run some typeof sandpaper or something through the cylinder and it would make your engine last longer in between rebuilds..anyone know anything about this?? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Kody

by sand paper they are probably refering to something like honing the cylinder to take off the glaze, and not boreing the cylinder. just replacing the rings, between rebuilds.

I would do it the old fashion way personally.
Thats how 90% of us have been doing it with out fail.

XCredrider
03-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Its not honing...I know what that is. It is some kind of paper or something that they spin through the cylinder. It is supposed to help the cylinder last longer.

JTRtrx250r
03-03-2005, 03:59 PM
releiving the exhaust bridge is the ONLY thing that hasn't been mentioned,

dude...just rebuild it like a normal person LOL;) :D

XCredrider
03-03-2005, 07:14 PM
idk...i have no idea.. i cant remember:ermm: oh well:rolleyes:

JTRtrx250r
03-03-2005, 07:36 PM
I do remember a thread about a coating you could bake onto the piston..., other than that ,...just not too sure what your getting at