PDA

View Full Version : Planning For First Race....help!!!

05-06-2002, 12:44 PM
I have a 2002 400EX. I am planning on trying my first MX race and i would like to know how to set up my quad. i ordered a set of nerfs and will install them. I will also install a kill switch. without buying a pipe or anything expensive, can i do any more to help? I also have a 14 tooth sprocket but have not installed it yet. will this help for MX? I have not messed with the airbox or jetting...can i do anything in that area? I should say that I am not super serious about racing...dont expect to be good, just want the most out of my machine, and to have fun! Thanks guys!!!:devil

05-06-2002, 12:52 PM
Leave the 14 tooth sprocket off and don't race over your head just ride smart and stay out of faster riders way,,,and most important have fun..:D

Texan32
05-06-2002, 01:00 PM
You say its a MX track? If so, i would throw that 14 tooth on there. You really don't need speed as much as acceleration.

Without buying anything else, about the only thing you can do is maybe take the baffle off your muffler, and remove yur air box lid. But, if you do these two things, you will need to adjust your pilot screw out about 1/4 to 1/2 turns.

Other than that, just go have fun. Ride as hard as you want, just remeber. this is your first race. Let it be more of a learning experience!

I'm going to my only 2nd race in two weeks. My initial goal was to finish. Now, this race, i want to beat 1 guy. Start slow and work up. If you hit it too hard too quick, your gonna hurt something (be it you OR your machine).

Texan32
05-06-2002, 01:07 PM
I was thinking he might need it since he doesn't have any engine mods. But, i can see the point you making.

05-06-2002, 01:58 PM
not to sound ignorant but......how do i adjust the pilot screw??? and do i need to do this if i leave the exhaust plug in? i like it quiet so i can ride near the house.will adjusting it help starting...its a cold pig to start.

05-06-2002, 01:59 PM
also...i only have the goal of not being a DNF...i expect to get lapped a lot:p

05-06-2002, 02:09 PM
The 14 tooth just didn't blow my skirt up on a MX track,,too much bottom end,,but I also had 18 tires,,I had NO first gear,,it kinda depends on the size of the track..

Wedge,,I'd leave everything the way it is besides the nerfs and kill switch your gonna add....You don't wanna start messin with the carb,,cuz if ya get it out of whack it won't even be running to race.. If your not comfortable with the carb,,leave it alone,,trust me on this,,dialing in a carb sucks even for those of us that know how too,,,drink lots of water before you race..:D

400exRacerX
05-06-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Texan32
You say its a MX track? If so, i would throw that 14 tooth on there. You really don't need speed as much as acceleration.

Without buying anything else, about the only thing you can do is maybe take the baffle off your muffler, and remove yur air box lid. But, if you do these two things, you will need to adjust your pilot screw out about 1/4 to 1/2 turns.

Other than that, just go have fun. Ride as hard as you want, just remeber. this is your first race. Let it be more of a learning experience!

I'm going to my only 2nd race in two weeks. My initial goal was to finish. Now, this race, i want to beat 1 guy. Start slow and work up. If you hit it too hard too quick, your gonna hurt something (be it you OR your machine).

It all depends on the track, I ran a 14t sprocket with 18" tires andhad no first or second gear. And most of the mx tracks around here are 3rd-4th-5th gear tracks. So you do run for top speed.

Texan32
05-06-2002, 02:46 PM
If you don't want to take the baffle off, then i wouldn't take the air box lid off. And, you will not need to adjust anything. just leave everything as is.

The only reason i say he might want to use the 14tooth is cuz he is running stock tires. You two fellas were running 18's. With a 14th and 18's, that would be too much bottom end. But, since he has the 20's, it may help him out. Rico is right. Wedge, have you had a chance to look at the track? If you know its got pretty tight turns, then the 14 th may help.

I don't race enough to give expert advice. I'm just trying to make some friendly suggestions.

And yes, drink WATER. I screwed my first race cuz of gaterade!

airheadedduner
06-02-2002, 09:57 PM
Don't worry about sprokets and other junk, just bolt up what you need. Have fun, and try not to hang on to the bars to tight, you will get arm pump in a hurry and it is east to do your first time out. Ride at your own pace and whatch the other riders and learn. Don't be stupid like me and try to big off a jump. It has been 4 months and my wrist still hasn't healed:blah