PDA

View Full Version : How much plastic removal for a 02 400EX re-jet?

Jason69
05-06-2002, 12:24 PM
I just slapped on a Pro Circuit T-4 Slip on, and got the K&N ATV Power Kit. What is the process to get to the carb? Besides removing the seat, what other plastic do I need to remove? Do I also have to take the carb off? Or can I re-jet right on the 400?
By the way, this weekend at El Mirage (2,300 elevation) it ran great no back-fires, it hit 65.5 mph on my GPS with just the slip-on. I am 6' 250lbs & that was into the wind.

VegasEx'r
05-06-2002, 12:39 PM
You could get to the carb without removing any of the plastic, and you don't have to pull the carb off to change the jets (if you need to change the needle, you'll have to take it off). However, if you aren't familiar with the carb, you might want to take it off just to get a better feel for it. I think that if you were to remove the carb, you would need to take off all of the plastic & the tank.

To change the needle without removing the carb, turn off the fuel petcock, loosen the rings on the filter & intake side of the carb. Turn the carb so that you can see & get to the bottom of it. There is a drain plug there with a hex head on it (I want to say 10mm, but I can't remember for sure). Take that out & let the gas drain. Looking inside of the carb, you will see the main jet (the brass thing), it can me removed with a small socket. Put it back together, give the throttle a couple of pumps & fire her up.

bpimpdaddy21
05-06-2002, 01:25 PM
Hey Jason69, How do you like the T-4? I was planning on getting one of them for my 400ex, and would like to know what you think about it.

Wired
05-06-2002, 01:28 PM
the T-4 is what i have on mine and she ripps, although i never rode a stock 400, ive heard alot of good things about the T-4. oh and leo, i was familiar with the 400ex carb until lastnight and yeah you shouldve told me alot of the work on the 400ex carb can be done wile its still on the quad :blah

Jason69
05-06-2002, 03:49 PM
I really like it, especially because it is so light, 3lbs one of the lightest out there. Sounds great too! a little louder than I though, the Dirtweels pipe shoot out showed it at 95db, just out side my garage with my Radio Shack dB meter with just a little blip of the throttle it would hit 110 to 120. I never metered the stock one, but I hated the way it sounded stock. The T-4 suites me well because I am more concerned with the bottom end and the T-4 has a smaller end cap that also will boost the bottom end, it also has a quiet core insert but I think I'll pass on that for now. It was only the 400's third time out (first with the new slip-on) so it was the first time I've nailed it. Hard to tell the performance gains since before the slip-on because I was still breaking it in, but too me the front was coming off the ground a little easier. It looks great too, the red & yellow match well, and it doesn't stick out past the grab bar.:p

bpimpdaddy21
05-06-2002, 06:24 PM
cool, I appreciate your response, and I am going to go with th T-4!

honda400zx
05-06-2002, 06:46 PM
i love my t-4 but i hated the t-4 lable in it so i drilled out the rivits and i removed it it looks alot better:devil

05-06-2002, 08:50 PM
when i jetted my quad after i got the k&n power kit i took off the black side panels, the gas tank and the rear fenders with seat. then you can easily access the top of the carb to get to the needle and adjust your little E-clip. to change the main jet turn off your gas, get a 17mm wrench and unscrew the little cap thing. the move your choke lever up and take of the black line(i think its just a vent) and tuck it behind your frame. then you will need a 6mm(I think its 6mm) socket to unscrew your main jet. that's all there is to it. also once you have your k&n main jets in place at you are going to need is a small flat screw driver to change your jet. you will get it, its easy enough

05-06-2002, 09:33 PM
what size jet are you using with your t-4??