PDA

View Full Version : Small webcam on 300ex

rooster300ex
03-02-2005, 05:06 PM
I bought a small webcam for a machanic to put in my 300ex but i'm gonna use the stock rockerarms. i'm thinking it should be alright. what do yall think.

Z-Racer-5c
03-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Take some Modlers clay and put it in the recess for the valves on the piston. put the top end together and turn the motor over. then take it apart and check the clay for contact. cut the clay in half and measure the thickness of the clay. it should have about .030" of clearance. then you should be good.

rooster300ex
03-02-2005, 05:39 PM
i doubt the machanic knows that trick, but he should know to check the clearance, and when i bought it it says its a bolt in performance adder.

Aceman
03-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I highly doubt he is going to have piston-to-valve clearance problems with a stock piston and a mild webcam. If that cam isn't a drop in(billet) cam you should run hardened rockers and possibly different valve springs if they are recommended also.

drewdawg88t
03-02-2005, 07:25 PM
i had a 98 300ex,i put a web cam in it with stock rockers and it was fine. i had web cam,40 over wiseco,bigger intake valves and ported the head and she friggin ripped.

hondardr4life
03-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Did you buy stage 1 or 2? I am guessing stage 1 because you didn't do any spring work. Now if I had to do it all over again, I would put in a stage 3, but they do reccomend hardened rodkers with all level cams.

dork
03-05-2005, 03:29 PM
you're gambling using the stock rockers. the web cam is hardfaced and meant to be run with rockers of the same hardness. the stock honda rocker hardening is notoriously soft. i had rocker arms fail due to an oiling problem even with them hardfaced and it makes a mess inside the engine.

also if you clay the piston for valve clearance, there should be a minimum of .050" on the intake and .080" on the exhuast, not .030"

beak7707
03-05-2005, 05:42 PM
You will need to run hardened rockers with a web cam. The stock rockers wont hold up to a welded cam. Look on the flange that the timing sprocket mounts to, there should be some number on there, one is the date they made it and the other is the grind number. If its a 236 grind you might get away with stock components for a while, if its a 254 or higher you will need heavy duty springs and hardened rockers for sure.

rooster300ex
03-06-2005, 01:47 PM
damn i guess i should of went with the powroll cam. u could just bolt that sucker in,

Z-Racer-5c
03-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Sorry guys I still dont understand having a set of hard face rockers. The only thing that should have an effect on the rocker should be either the lift or the spring tension or both. If the rockers is not designed for a high lift cam with HD springs then I can understand. The rocker will fail under extended use. The surface at which the rocker and cam meet should have no contact at all. The oil film between them should protect the surface on both. I have a KFX-453 and it just has Tappets and no rockers. You guys may be right but I don't see the physical side of it. I would think when spending all the money and time on making a killer motor should bring you to the conclusion that good parts make a good motor. I am not totaly sure but I think all webb cams are new and not remanufactured like Hot cams. Don't get me wrong guys, I am not telling you that your wrong I just cant see the problem with the rockwell harness of the cam having anything to do with the wearing of the rocker. No oil is the destructive item in this picture.

Cody_300ex
03-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Z-Racer-5c
Sorry guys I still dont understand having a set of hard face rockers. The only thing that should have an effect on the rocker should be either the lift or the spring tension or both. If the rockers is not designed for a high lift cam with HD springs then I can understand. The rocker will fail under extended use. The surface at which the rocker and cam meet should have no contact at all. The oil film between them should protect the surface on both. I have a KFX-453 and it just has Tappets and no rockers. You guys may be right but I don't see the physical side of it. I would think when spending all the money and time on making a killer motor should bring you to the conclusion that good parts make a good motor. I am not totaly sure but I think all webb cams are new and not remanufactured like Hot cams. Don't get me wrong guys, I am not telling you that your wrong I just cant see the problem with the rockwell harness of the cam having anything to do with the wearing of the rocker. No oil is the destructive item in this picture.

You need hardened rockers beacause on a hardwelded cam the material that they weld on there is harder than the material on your stock rockers. Therefore causeing pre-mature were. But on a billet cam the material is soft so hardened rockers will destory it in about 1 minute of use.

beak7707
03-06-2005, 05:47 PM
exactly what Lil_300Ex_Kid said. You dont want a super hard metal rubbing against a soft metal upwards to 6000 rpm. Something is going to give in a hurry, and I have seen stock rockers that were ran on a web cam, its not pretty.