PDA

View Full Version : valves

SRH
03-02-2005, 04:24 PM
ive got between 7-10 hrs on my yfz i was curious if anyon thinks im due to have my vavles shimmed up, also can i check the valve clearance with the cam shafts and everything togther and tell if i eneed to have them shimmed or do i have to mic (sp) the shims or w/e and find out that way? my freind had probaly over 50 hours on his and i dont think he had to shim his i was curious if anyone else had to yet

AshYFZ450
03-02-2005, 05:51 PM
To validate your warrenty, most companies require you to have it serviced after the first 10 or 20 hrs (I can't remember which it is now) and checking the valve clearence is part of the service. The service manual says it should be done after the first month and then every six months after that. You can check the valve clearance with the cams installed (valve cover removed of course). You measure the space between the cam and the valve with a thickness gage with the engine at (Top Dead Center) TDC on the compression stroke with the engine at room temp.
Intake .10-.15mm
Exhaust .20-.25

EDIT: Sorry for the extra zeros:eek2:

5valves
03-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by SRH
ive got between 7-10 hrs on my yfz i was curious if anyon thinks im due to have my vavles shimmed up, also can i check the valve clearance with the cam shafts and everything togther and tell if i eneed to have them shimmed or do i have to mic (sp) the shims or w/e and find out that way? my freind had probaly over 50 hours on his and i dont think he had to shim his i was curious if anyone else had to yet
You can check them, but with those few of hours I wouldnt worry

SRH
03-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by 5valves
You can check them, but with those few of hours I wouldnt worry

thanks guys, my warranty ran out months ago so im not worried about that , i just like to stay on top of things

daddio
03-03-2005, 07:05 AM
the CORRECT valve clearance at top dead center, on the compression stroke, is:

intake
.10 - .15 mm
(.0039 - .0059 in.)

Exhaust
.20 - .25 mm
(.0079 - .0098 in.)

PLEASE........... if your giving out specific data, double check your facts, typing AND spelling.

AshYFZ450
03-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by daddio
the CORRECT valve clearance at top dead center, on the compression stroke, is:

intake
.10 - .15 mm
(.0039 - .0059 in.)

Exhaust
.20 - .25 mm
(.0079 - .0098 in.)

PLEASE........... if your giving out specific data, double check your facts, typing AND spelling.

You don't have to jump down my throat. I was looking at the manual when I typed that, so I knew my "facts". I don't generally give out info without refering to the service manual first unless the question is a matter of opinion. My typing is horrible and my spelling is even worse but I'll be happy to make any corrections if they are pointed out to me. A PM would have been a nice way to bring my mistake to my attention. Anyways, thinks for the correction. I edited my previos post.:chinese:

daddio
03-03-2005, 12:26 PM
it's cool............

yfz439.0
03-03-2005, 02:41 PM
What kind of sealent do you use on the valve cover? I used some gasket maker/silcone on mine but i don't think i put enough on because there is black streaks coming down from the back of my motor by the carb i assume thats oil and i need to reseal the cover why i do that i think i'm going to check my valves and do the cam mod.

AshYFZ450
03-03-2005, 04:02 PM
I got lucky when I did the cam mod. I just cleaned both surfaces real good and put it back together. Its been 4 months now and over 120hrs and it hasn't leaked a drop.

The service manual says to apply Sealant (Quick Gasket) or Yamaha bond No.1215

ketchup
03-05-2005, 08:28 AM
I've never applied anything to my cam cover. Like previously stated, clean the surface and torque to spec. I've never had a leak, plus, if you're not careful with that liquid gasket it can find its way into your oil delivery system.