PDA

View Full Version : Shock revalving

Jonesy
03-02-2005, 01:25 PM
I just bought a set of burgard +2+1 a-arms for my 300ex. I'm running the rec. series elka front shocks right now. Where is the cheapest place to have my shocks revalved for the longer arms? I have a set of heavier springs for the shocks. Will those have to be installed also or just a revalve?

Thanks
Jonesy

cdalejef
03-03-2005, 07:12 AM
They will also need heavier springs.

Jonesy
03-03-2005, 09:40 AM
I have set of heavier springs for the shocks, that brad gave me when i bought the bike. He said that you couldn't figure out just how heavy they were though. Is there anyway you can test them to see if they would be the correct spings? I would imagine that this would lower the cost some since i wouldn't be purchasing new springs.

thanks
Jonesy

bradley300
03-03-2005, 09:43 AM
the chances of those being the right springs are slim to none. when i put 400ex a-arms on my 300, the shocks were way too soft, so marty bgrabbed the first set of heavier srpings he couldget his hands on and said "try these". might as well put them on tho, if they work alright, you might save yourself some money

cdalejef
03-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Exactly, you'll just have to try them and see how they feel.

quadrcr161
03-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Jonesy
I have set of heavier springs for the shocks, that brad gave me when i bought the bike. He said that you couldn't figure out just how heavy they were though. Is there anyway you can test them to see if they would be the correct spings? I would imagine that this would lower the cost some since i wouldn't be purchasing new springs.

thanks
Jonesy

there is a way to find the weight of the springs. at a race shop i use to work at we used the formula to find the rate of the springs we had in stock for the cars. it has to deal with the thickness of the spring, the length and how many coils. ill look around online and see is i can find the formula. i havent looked at it since i left the shop.

Jonesy
03-03-2005, 12:02 PM
jeff anything special i need to do if i change the springs myself? I can do it, but don't want to mess anything up in the process.

If the springs feel fine, then i just need to have them revalved?

thanks for the help
JT Jones

cdalejef
03-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Nothing special except be careful. Try it and see how it feels and go from there.

03-05-2005, 07:40 AM
I'll tell you what spring rate you have if you give me these three measurements:

Wire Diameter

Inner Diameter of Coil

Exact number of coils (where the wires touch at the bottom of the spring = 0, count directly up from there to the top) Should be something like 7.4 or 8.75 ect.