PDA

View Full Version : How To Get Into Flat Track Racing

300exr
03-02-2005, 01:20 PM
I am almost 16 yrs. old and I would like to get into Flat track racing. I have a 2001 300ex with a bunch of stuff already done to it. I had a bad experience with MX(broke both ankles @ same time @ rausch creek). I live in MD and am basically looking for tipps and info. THANKS

300exr
03-02-2005, 02:37 PM
I just stopped in at rausch creek and they are building a flat track supposedly. Also, If anyone could let me know of any tracks in the states around MD that would be helpful.

clarkymckrash
03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
since you already raced you should have most everything required(nerfs,tether riding gear....) just need a set of flattrack tires,lowering kit and maybe a swaybar to get started.dont be afraid to ask questions when you get there about setup.thers a couple of classes you could run 0-300cc air cooled(aka at most tracks as the blaster class) or open beginner

300exr
03-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Well I dont have nerfs or the tether kill, cuz when i wrecked I was on my YZ 125. But I can get some.

BlueZ440
03-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Get with Dirtmomma..She has a lil 300 that she races on FT

The only few thing I can tell you is:

THE RIGHT TIRES(AMERICAN RACERS)or HOOSIERS
NOT TO WIDE IN THE BACK UNLESS IS TT RACING.
NOT 2 LOW
SWAY BAR

wilkin250r
03-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by BlueZ440
NOT 2 LOW

Short of your fenders rubbing the tires, I'm not sure it's possible to be TOO low for flattrack racing.

BlueZ440
03-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Short of your fenders rubbing the tires, I'm not sure it's possible to be TOO low for flattrack racing.

When I said 2 LOW..I meant make sure the SWINGARM is not STR8 when you seat on it.. Make sure it has a little bit of angle.;)

But that's just my 2cents

cletusEX
03-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 300exr
I am almost 16 yrs. old and I would like to get into Flat track racing. I have a 2001 300ex with a bunch of stuff already done to it. I had a bad experience with MX(broke both ankles @ same time @ rausch creek). I live in MD and am basically looking for tipps and info. THANKS

I don't know how many FT tracks and races are around the MD area. I know Pappy at one time wanted to set a quad up for flat track/ TT and didn't because of lack of places to ride. Before you go spending money on a FT setup look into tracks in your area. Also if you don't want to do MX, there is always XC racing.

300exr
03-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Well, I thought about it, I only have one quad and settin it up for TT will just mean that I can only race, and not go riding with my friends. I think that Im gonna go to rausch creek and try out MX, if I like it maybe ill get into it, and Ill still be able to ride around.
Thanks for all your input.

superz400
03-04-2005, 07:45 AM
well i only race one quad and it is easy to set it up for xc, tt or drag racing it only takes a few minutes to change the tires and raise or lower it not a big deal during tt season leave it low you can still ride with your other tires.

pro6
03-04-2005, 09:04 AM
I race tt, flat track and go to the dunes its not a big deal to go back and forth. Just a hour or so of your time. Try ft and tt you will love it.

maggiesboy
03-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by superz400
well i only race one quad and it is easy to set it up for xc, tt or drag racing it only takes a few minutes to change the tires and raise or lower it not a big deal during tt season leave it low you can still ride with your other tires.

Dirtmomma and I ride alot of trails, and we race alot with the same machines. It takes 30-45 minutes to swap everything over. No biggie for us. It's cheaper than another machine!

maggiesboy
03-04-2005, 09:09 AM
A few minutes later...........30-45

BlueZ440
03-04-2005, 11:17 AM
NICE..MAGGIES..LOL

300exr
03-05-2005, 08:35 AM
Well, I probly sound like an idiot, but owell. Ive been debating what I want to try to race. It seems to me like TT racing is awesome, but I dont know of any tracks in the area, so if anybody has any info please help me out. And if anybody has some tires or lowering kit for sale that fits my 300 let me know please. Thanks for the help.

dirtmomma
03-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Hey 300exr it's always nice to see peeps wanting to get into flattrack & ESPECIALLY w/ a 300ex :D:D

Anyway yes I run my 300 flattrack & it's a blast!! As for set up depending on what type of track you are running you may be able to get away w/ Turf tamers for the rears & holeshots/stockers up front to get going!! If it's a Class C track(no knobbies) then for an ECONOMICAL waay to get going w/ those tires is to use a Turf Saver, thats what we run on our blaster, we have grooved them also. Theses tires cost us about $25-35 each!! We run an indoor track or 2 also but we use tamers in there, can't get the blaster or the 300 to hook up w/ class C, I also have a set of 18x11x8 Duro's, I am not using them now as I can't get them too hook up either, except on the hard pack, I'm holding onto them for a little bit just in case we need them though to try on the blaster.
As for lowering kits, we have NONE that we bought our welder/fab guy made them for us, the rear is basic for the blaster, my 300 one is a little different, for the fronts he put another shock mount hold about 2" away from the stockers & now we just take a bolt out of the bottom of the shock slide the shock over & BAM your done & lowered approx 2"-3" :D:D
YES you can be too low in flattrack I never thought so BUT I did realize it this winter, I had mine SLAMMED to the ground, but it was handling for chit so we kept the front lowered & raised the rear up & WOW what a difference!! Alot of people run the rear a little higher than the front & it works!!
NOW for motor mods this is where you WILL need to do some work, I've put a High comp piston in mine along w/ a stage 3 WEB cam,hardened rockers,400ex carb THE BEST MOD YET!!, no airbox lid, K&N filter, & got some minor exhuast porting, I ran it stock for a season it was OK but what a difference the mods made & it didn't cost me that much!! OH & my welder also MADE me +3 a arms :) & I run rear spacers so it sits pretty even for width, when I run my MX radials on offset rims I'm at about 51" :eek:

If you know a welder/fabricator nerfs can also be made, but they have TUSK ones for $99 RMATV they look pretty darn fancy!! wishin I had a set mine are homeade, (we didn't make them)

Whew ok if I forgott anything LMK, here's a couple pics of mine set up for flattrack & trails takes me about an hour to do mine :) but ya know I'M A GIRL & YES I DO IT ALL MYSELF :D:D

If you have any ? LMK

dirtmomma
03-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Here's oneof it in MX/trail mode :D:D:D

dirtmomma
03-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Here's one of our Championship blaster & my lil ol 300 :) Chcek out the rear tires on the blaster those are the turf savers I was talking about!! I don't know if you can see on my a arms how the shock slides from side to side? I'll see if I can find a better pic if your interested :)

dirtmomma
03-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by maggiesboy
A few minutes later...........30-45

HEY I know that kid ;) this is the boy that won the Championship in 2004 on that ugly blaster^^^^^^^ & 4th overall on my 300 this year, missed 3rd by a couple points ARRGGGGGGG ;)

clarkymckrash
03-06-2005, 03:02 PM
most tracks on the east coast make it manditory to run flattrack tires,if you find a track go there and watch a few races,go in the pits and dont be afraid to ask questions,also see if someone is willing to let you borrow a set of tiresand/or has a used set for sale

300exr
03-07-2005, 04:21 PM
I definately wanna do TT, it looks like alot of fun, now I need to find some tracks and tires. By the way, i have a set of worn out holeshot mx fronts, would they allow those.

clarkymckrash
03-07-2005, 07:14 PM
you could probably get away with those for 1 or 2 races but you will need to get tires

300exr
03-08-2005, 03:13 PM
I sthere a website or someone that can sell me some tires and wheels for cheap, I guess that im looking for American Racing or Hoosier

EX_Junkie
03-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Unless u find some used ones. American racer hoosier and cheap don't go in the same sentence. I may be wrong but i think nacs racing.com the and i know legacy atv sells them.

I started tt racing last season. Ran the last 2 races of the season with a durablue lowering kit front and rear and some borrowed american racers on the rear with my holeshots on front. Looked funny as hell but it got me addicted and now i can't wait for the season to start back. Also check ebay for tires. I see some on there every now and then. Oh you will also have to run 10 inch wheels in the back with american racers and hoosiers. I may be wrong there but i couldn't ever find any 9 inch wheels.

300exr
03-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks, do you know of any tracks in Va or NC close to the VA border. I live in MD and need to find somewhere to go and practice.

300exr
03-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Anybody racin TT around PA,MD or VA????