PDA

View Full Version : Bottom end work

williamjernigan
03-02-2005, 09:57 AM
I need to replace the left crankcase becuase it has a hole under the shifter shaft. I ordered a clymers manual and I have got a harmonic balancer puller to split the case apart. I have a flywheel puller on the way for my banshee but I don't have one for the 86 250r. Will the banshee one work. Also I have heard of people just using a impact wrench to take off the nut of the flywheel without the flywheel puller? Can I get a clutch holder tool from napa or somewhere or a strapwrench or something. Also I have never done a topend rebuild or bottom end work but I do know how the engine works and I am knowledgeble but I just have never had to do either. Do you think that I can do it.

zedicus00
03-02-2005, 10:14 AM
im a computer technician, i just rebuilt my clutch myself withought any sort of clutch holder or impact wrench, and i do all my own topend work, except for the actuall boring, i dont hav tools for that. only thing i would advise is read the manual b4 hand and TAKE YOUR TIME. yes yur banshee flywheel puller will work.

beak7707
03-02-2005, 12:27 PM
I dont know if a banshee puller will work or not, but one for a 250r is only a few bucks. You will have to have one to get your flywheel off. As for the clutch and what not a impact will remove all the nuts you need to get off. You will definalty want to take your time and get everything lined up. while its apart I would be sure to check all the gears and replace the bearings.

beerock
03-02-2005, 06:31 PM
no it wont work, you need a 250r motion pro flywheel puller, there 10 bux

LT250Racer609
03-02-2005, 08:23 PM
i just had my 86 cases slip less then a month ago cause i blew 2nd gear in the tranny...

we bought the manual cause we have never had to split the cases before and we bought the puller...you hafto use a 250R puller or else it wont work

Rich250RRacer
03-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by LT250Racer609
i just had my 86 cases slip less then a month ago cause i blew 2nd gear in the tranny...

we bought the manual cause we have never had to split the cases before and we bought the puller...you hafto use a 250R puller or else it wont work

Actually this puller is not exclusive to the 250R, it fits nearly all the CR models, many of the smaller Honda four-strokes and quite a few Yamaha, Kaw, and Suzuki products.

percyboot
03-05-2005, 06:14 PM
i just broke my case in the same place on the left side, and i am also in the same position. never done this before, have the manual and the knowledge to do it, just wondering what all i am going to need to do the job. if anyone could give me a list of special tools and parts needed that would be great. i know i am probably going to need to replace bearings while the bottom end is open( anyone know where to get good ones from) i know you guys are talking about the puller for the fly wheel ( where to get one of those) i asume i am going to need all new seals and just anything else i need please let me know. my friend is getting a R and i am trying to get my apart fixed and back together so we can ride. thanks also where is the best place to get the left side of case or both sides

percyboot
03-06-2005, 01:21 PM
bump

beerock
03-06-2005, 01:43 PM
the best bearings are the honda oem.

you can buy a 86 case with bearings and seals then buy the bearings and seals for the right side case. youll be good to go.
If your gonna go into the bottom end my suggestion is to get a new 88 year crank, they are the best year.
the flywheel puller and a torque wrench is needed You could buy the case splitter tool or press the crank out. Some say pressing the crank in isnt the best idea. I press it in, i feel the amount of pressing force isnt to high as long as when you press in the new crank you stop pressing it down when the crank stops moving in by watching the centerline on the case and line up the connecting rod center with the case half.

the right side case should come off with no puller though a few bangs with a rubber mallet on the front motor mount and a tap the rear by the kick starter, but make sure you have all the bolts out before you start banging harder and harder. the case puller is to get the crank off the left side case.Sometimes the main bearing comes out wit the crank.

WHen you put the motor back together teverything goes int he left side case first. press the crank in FIRST, then put in the tranny and shiftdrum and forks. the right case will SLIDE on with no force, no rubber hammer either, except for maybe the dowel pins.

after that, put all the case bolts in the left side.

put all the gears on the right side start with the crank gears etc.

im sure when you take it apart youll understand how to put it back in order.

i hope this helps. i pretty much tore apart and reassembled one in this post for u guys.

Rich250RRacer
03-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Use crank bearings from a CR250, Honda part number 91008-KAE-731. These are an 8 ball bearing instead of the 7 ball original 250R bearing. They are the same price, and offer a little less rolling resistance, so they are actually capable of higher RPM. There is no difference in reliabilty and since they're used in CR's they can take a beating.

percyboot
03-07-2005, 03:21 PM
thanks yall know anything else let me know also why is 88 crank better and are u talking about 88crank case thanks

SuperChris
03-07-2005, 03:40 PM
You should not need a manual, just a heat gun and rubber mallet. Heat around the outer bearing race and the case half will slide out. Have your crank checked out before buying a new one. If it's bad, rebuild it and save some cash. There are places on the internet that will take 200 bucks and your core and send a 4 mil stroker crank back if you can afford the portwork to match. Use the 8 ball setup. The flywheel puller WILL work. Run the big part of it into the flywheel as far as you can, tighten the bolt up untill you feel uncomfortable about stripping stuff and lightly tap the end of the puller with a ball peen hammer. Make sure you get the nut and washer off first. Use an impact for the clutch, flywheel, and crank nuts and you will not have to use any other tools to hold rotating assy's still. Once you are inside it's pretty self explanitory. Should you get parts mixed up, you can get an exploded view printed out from most bike shops for nothing. Do all this on a CLEAN table, wash everything like soap is going out of style. Good luck and don't be intimidated.