PDA

View Full Version : No Spark

bradje
03-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Hey guys (gals too)....the ole 400 is not sparking right now...I did have to jump it via a car battery 4 days ago...i let it warm up sufficiently and then took it only around the yard (Nova Scotia, quite cold) - the motor then just died, i pushed it back into the shop and figured i would take the carb off and check for the normal gook you get after winter...everything was actually really good, a little bit of ice in the float bowl but nothing to drastic...anyway, i cleaned the carb up, re-installed, and now i have no spark. I did remove the tail light wires as my buld was broken...any ideas???...I also would be very grateful is anyone could provide me with a wiring diagram for the 03 400ex.

Thanks
Brad:D

duke416ex
03-02-2005, 08:49 AM
check the fuse, try a new plug, if still no luck make sure you have good grounds and if you have a kill switch, make sure it isn't the prob.

SoUpX
03-02-2005, 09:13 AM
I had this problem this winter i went through 3 spark plugs. Everytime I rode it in the cold (20 or below). after i initially changed the plug, i started it and rode it around for about an hour, went back home and turned it off. 15min later i was going to put it away so i started it up and it just died, Could restart it at all, this happened 2 other times...any explanation???

bradje
03-02-2005, 09:53 AM
fues where?>

hart
03-02-2005, 10:03 AM
the fuses are located next to the solinoid by the battery there just regular car fuses!:)

bradje
03-02-2005, 10:06 AM
right on...i did check those last night...they are ok. I am going to pick up a plug tonight and try it for spark against the frame...i don't think the motor would do it as it is aluminum right?....i tried some other plugs in the cap and no spark either but they were all used and perhaps a bit big for the cap...anyone know how to check some things with a multimeter?

hart
03-02-2005, 10:25 AM
are all your connectons good like the wires from the stator to where they plug into the wiring harness you could also have a faulty coil. you could check that with the mulimeter.

bradje
03-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Hart, how would i check that? - man, does anyone have a wiring diagram, i would love to have one for future reference

hart
03-02-2005, 10:29 AM
imnot certin but i think you take the red wire and put it where your spar plug would go and the the back wire and ground it out. or u could just stick your finger on a wire and get ready for one hell of a shock.! i might beable to get u a wiring diagram tonight ill get my clymer manual back from my buddie and phot copy it to ya and email it whats ur email?

bradje
03-02-2005, 10:35 AM
brad.jenkins@sobeys.com

hart
03-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey this is kinda off topic but where so u ride in nova scotia , i live in halifax and our trails suck. i heared elemsdale had some good ones?

bradje
03-02-2005, 10:39 AM
I am from a place called Linacy about 5 miles east of NewGlasgow, we got some good trails around here...i also heard Elmsdale rocked...maybe someday!

duke416ex
03-02-2005, 11:44 AM
You can check the spark by puuting a screw driver in place of the plug and holding it close enough to the head to see a spark jump if you don't have a tester.

bradje
03-02-2005, 11:47 AM
thanks for the info....