PDA

View Full Version : Honda article?

Got nads?
03-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Anybody read the article on Honda that is posted on AtvConnection.com. The sad part is that it is true.

Bush0102
03-01-2005, 07:07 PM
link?

n00b on a 400ex
03-01-2005, 09:07 PM
the one sayin honda is all outdated and $hit? ill go find it...

wheeltrax
03-01-2005, 09:09 PM
http://www.atving.com/atvconnection/Features/Editorial-ATV-Ketchup.cfm?cs_LoginTime=094813

Punk'd
03-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Honda has a big line of pretty much everything Cars.. motorcycles.. lawn mowers but Quads are also a big profit of alot of their money. They just need to put a little more effort in there work the 450r was a huge suscess i think. And im sure Honda has something in store for us and there will be more to come.

Bush0102
03-01-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm a big fan of honda, but it's sad that the article is pretty much true.

atcyalater
03-02-2005, 06:24 AM
That was tough article to read. It really hurt because it was true. I grew up on Hondas and I have owned many Honda three and four wheelers over the years. I can still remember when I get my new 1985 200X. Lately it seems like Honda just puts a half *** effort into their ATV lineup. Lets face it, they didn’t even do that great of a job with the TRX450R. In many ways it was a half *** effort too. The bike has many flaws. It can be made into a great bike but it takes a lot of money and work. It’s not like the YFZ. It’s almost flawless right from the factory. I remember in the 80’s when you just couldn’t believe they could make things better than Honda would release the new models and it would just blow your mind. 1990 was a real let down. At least I still have all the great memories. I have a suspicion that the good old days at Honda will never return.

beak7707
03-02-2005, 12:35 PM
I dont see any other company doing much more than Honda though. The 450r is competitive with the yfz easily. The yfz is better in some areas and the honda is better in some areas. Yeah honda could do more but they still have the best following of any manufacturer. Hell look at suzuki the z400 is the best thing they have ever made and I would still take my old 250r over one of them.

kamikaze_rzrbak
03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
you could write that same article for most company's:rolleyes:

quadrcr161
03-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by atcyalater
It’s not like the YFZ. It’s almost flawless right from the factory.

the yfz is far from flawless.

and agreed, you could write it about most companies. the big hit that the sport took in the late 80's and early 90's almost killed it, and killed the companies.

zephead400ex
03-02-2005, 01:04 PM
You can't compare apples and oranges, but I do believe the YFZ is a better machine in stock form, which is about all you can debate between any machine. Honda could have put more effort into the 450R and made it a much better machine...but they didn't, so we'll live with it.

kamikaze_rzrbak
03-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
You can't compare apples and oranges, but I do believe the YFZ is a better machine in stock form, which is about all you can debate between any machine. Honda could have put more effort into the 450R and made it a much better machine...but they didn't, so we'll live with it.
why do you think they didnt put everything they could have into the 450? do you think they are still afraid of the lawyers coming after them again?

quadrcr161
03-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by kamikaze_rzrbak
why do you think they didnt put everything they could have into the 450? do you think they are still afraid of the lawyers coming after them again?

exactly, it has to be detuned to protect the stupid. IMO quads like the yfz/450r shouldnt be in the woods and not just anyone should be able to walk up and get them. history repeats its self, if stupid people took over powered 250r's/quadzillas/banshee's in the woods, got hurt and sued what will stop them from doing it again? now days its more likely to happen because of all the crooked lawyers.

when people can sue Mcdonalds because they are fat, you can imagine how nervous these companies are releasing atv's of this nature, even knowing atv's are always being attacked and people just waiting for a reason to sue.

Jay99400ex
03-02-2005, 01:51 PM
I have to disagree, yes in ten years there were no sport quads, but name any others? the only one really was the banshee, and everyone and there brother raced 250r's, then when they came out with the 400ex it was the only thing out there, and it was so good that they never needed to update it, it is behind it's time now, but look how long it too for the others to come out woith a sport quad, then they kawi, suzuki, artic cat used the same damn quad, and they already had to redo stuff on them, the 400ex has been the same since it came out, they changed a bit this year to keep up but it still is the same old reliable machine:)

AshYFZ450
03-02-2005, 02:13 PM
That article was sad but true. I remember getting my 400EX. It was supposed to be the S@#t. It's suspension was better than my buddies Banshees but it had no where near the power. Then came the Raptor and DS650s. They were bigger but faster too. Then the real heart breaker was when the Suzuki Z400 came out. It was another 400cc 4 stroke, but it just smoked my EX. I remember when the YFZ came out and it was said that Honda was close to releasing its new Performance quad aiming to compete with or better the YFZ. I waited for it. I was so excited, finally I would be able to put those Yamahas in there place. Then the reviews started. I was stuned that the 450R came out later, but was slower. Not only slower, but you had to kick start it too. I'm not a racer. I ride trails, desert, and dunes. I love riding in new places and new trails. I don't want to have to kick start it every time I stall it going up some new trail I've never riden or when I stop to enjoy the view on top of some mountain. If they weren't going to make it faster, they could have given it electric start and a reverse and it might have convinced me to stay red and settle for the slower ride. I went out a few weeks later and got my YFZ. After a 50 mile ride, I sometimes think about how the 450R would have been. The seat felt more comfortable and the suspension felt more plush, but in the end I had to go with the machine with the best overall performance.

beak7707
03-02-2005, 03:20 PM
The 450r is not slower, on top end stock to stock the 450r is faster. Why would you want electric start? you want to be with the yami guys and run with your headlights on all day and replace you entire electrical system? What did everybody race for 20 years 250's and banshees, how were all those started?? On a race quad you do not need electric start or reverse. Even when I do stall mine you press the hot start and kick it once and its running again. You could compare the two quads all day long saying one is better than the other. They both have there place and I felt the 450r was better for XC racing. Either way they are both way better quads than we have ever had before, and they are a step in the right direction.
It's not like yami is any damn different. Banshee still the same as the first one, blaster finanlly got brakes a couple years ago, other than that still the same, Warrior got some lame plastic update, other than that still the same. WOW all thier quads are the same from the 80's besides the yfz.

Fred55
03-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Actually the warrior got much more than just new plastic, it got new front and rear shocks, rear linkage, tires, exhaust, pegs, carbuerator, and a much more comfortable seating position. There is also a reason for not updating the Banshee and Blaster, they wont be around in another year, so why would Yamaha want to put all that money into R&D and retooling the factorys for only a few years unless they knew they would sell a ton of them, but with the Yfz and Raptor, they wont have enough sales to justify spending that money.

AshYFZ450
03-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
The 450r is not slower, on top end stock to stock the 450r is faster. Why would you want electric start? you want to be with the yami guys and run with your headlights on all day and replace you entire electrical system? What did everybody race for 20 years 250's and banshees, how were all those started?? On a race quad you do not need electric start or reverse. Even when I do stall mine you press the hot start and kick it once and its running again. You could compare the two quads all day long saying one is better than the other. They both have there place and I felt the 450r was better for XC racing. Either way they are both way better quads than we have ever had before, and they are a step in the right direction.
It's not like yami is any damn different. Banshee still the same as the first one, blaster finanlly got brakes a couple years ago, other than that still the same, Warrior got some lame plastic update, other than that still the same. WOW all thier quads are the same from the 80's besides the yfz.

Ok, maybe I misspoke when I said faster. The YFZ is faster out of the hole.

I do run with my lights on most of the time (just to be on the safe side since I also run trail tech HID's off the battery.) I have never had an electrical problem and it doesn't bother me to run my lights.

Yes, most of the race bikes are kick start (to save weight) but like I said, I am enthusiast, not a racer. I have stalled it out on mountain trails where I had to keep my weight forward and would not have enjoyed the thought of standing up to kick start the quad, no matter how easy it was to start. I have stalled it on dune rides where I was able to hit the botton and get it going quick enough to avoid getting rear ended. I like my magic botton.

It is true that the big four were all lacking in performance/sport ATV arena but with Suzukis z400 and the Yamaha YFZ, it just seems Honda could have given us a lot better product after all these years of waiting.

BuB400
03-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Blah blah Ive ridden every brand of dirt bike since the 80s. My 99 ex 400 is my first Honda and quad. One word. Reliability. I am a Honda buyer from now on.

AshYFZ450
03-02-2005, 05:18 PM
I still love to ride my (now my wifes 2001 400EX). I have the basic mods(K&N, Jetted, Full Yosh, amd rev kit) I have never had to do anything to it except adjust the valves, change the oil, and clean the air filter. Honda makes a very realible product. I just don't line up at the hill with a 450R, YFZ, or z400 for that matter, and expect to win, even if I get the hole shot. It's still fun to race other EXs though.

RideRedEX
03-03-2005, 12:12 AM
if the yfz is so much better than the honda then it would be like the 80' and 90's when everyone raced the 250r. i see as many 450r's at a race as i do yfz450's. And the people talking about how they compare as to not racing, you can have as much fun on any quad just riding around. racing is what these 2 quads were made for.

kwatts400
03-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Did anyone find any mistakes in that article?