PDA

View Full Version : yfz battery removal

sand-racer
03-01-2005, 05:34 PM
I have now got the kickstarter kick and i am going to use it as the lone starting devise. Can some people tell me everything that they removed from their bike such as starter motor, gears, the gear behind the flywheel. I am also trying to see what people did when they removed the battery, did you place in a capacitor? Does anyone have pictures of a stripped down wiring harness or instructions of how to do it? Thank you very much any other information or tips would be apreciated also.

Thank you Wes

buildinitnow
03-02-2005, 02:02 PM
This may be horse crap, but i heard that you need to keep the battery in the yfz. just my .02

daddio
03-02-2005, 02:58 PM
The pro's still have thier battery in to run the fan, etc.

metalmellinium
03-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Hey are you mallorys cousin?? Well with your kicker you can take out the start clutch, all the gears that went to the starter pretty much, that thing will rev alot faster. I did put a capacitor in and took the batt out. I also took the fan out, not needed for me. I can get pictures of my harness stripped down too. You can send it to Dragon fire atv, he did mine.

daddio
03-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by metalmellinium
Hey are you mallorys cousin?? Well with your kicker you can take out the start clutch, all the gears that went to the starter pretty much, that thing will rev alot faster. I did put a capacitor in and took the batt out. I also took the fan out, not needed for me. I can get pictures of my harness stripped down too. You can send it to Dragon fire atv, he did mine.
my son is sort of "mallory's cousin". through a couple marriages.
anyway, we have a bike that has all the starter stuff removed, and it really isn't that much different. the ability to start the bike quickly, when you kill it during a race, is a bigger advantage than the quicker reving. This weekend, at least 3 races were lost because the leader (or fastest guy) killed their bike, and couldn't kick start it fast enough.

ks_yfz450_racer
03-11-2005, 08:57 PM
it u are lookin for a wiring harness for the yfz with no lights or battery, Nmotion(a shop out of witchita, ks) has one. Go to www.nmotiontechnology.com and check it out

Extremeracer167
03-13-2005, 08:11 PM
what would be the reasoning that you would want to remove the battery and starter. why not just keep it as a backup?

Its nice to have a push button start if you wreck and hurt yourself. it got me to the finish line at a race that i broke my hand. It really hurts trying to kick something over with a broken bone.....did that before too :p Its a stupid reason, but its always nice to have as many backups to fall back on when really needed. I will be getting a kickstarter kit for mine, to use as a backup. Cuase my charging system SUCKS.

ketchup
03-14-2005, 01:33 AM
It removes alot of rotational mass from your flywheel and drops weight on the bike. Unless you'r really serious or you're using it as a back up, not really a mod for you.

ketchup
03-14-2005, 03:42 AM
I just realized we never answered this question. You can remove starter and all the gears associated with it as well as the starter clutch. If you remove your battery completely, you will need either a capacitor or an NiMH battery to supply DC power to your CDI for your bike to start.