PDA

View Full Version : Cracked my case....

Thump_It
03-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Well I was out riding in the dunes, threw my chain and busted my case. When the chain came off it snapped my new case saver and bent the top bolt forward causing the case to crack and a little chuck to break off. I have the peice that broke off, I just don't know how I'm gonna get it fixed. Any suggestions????

Martin Blair
03-01-2005, 04:45 PM
buy a new left side half

Punk'd
03-01-2005, 04:58 PM
God man.. That sucks id cry so hard

Moto92
03-01-2005, 06:28 PM
What case saver did you have...that way I know not to buy one.

Thump_It
03-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Well I bought the Mod Quad case saver. It wasn't the case savers fault, the chain was pulled so hard it bent the top bolt forward that holds the case saver on. In doing so it broke off a chunk of case where the bolt screws in at. There is not oil leak whatsover, but I want to get it fixed up so that area doesn't become a problem.

benwa450r
03-01-2005, 06:45 PM
It's not as easy as buying a left case. You had better be a good mechanic and a machinist to make all of the special tools you will need to split cases. It is NOT easy. I have to change Both cases, crankshaft, rod, piston, and cylinder (which is on backorder). It is a Bit#* just to get the flywheel and clutch off much less getting the crank out and swapping over all of the bearings.... and all new seals too. Just be warned.... it's not easy. Good luck.

chad502ex
03-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by benwa450r
It's not as easy as buying a left case. You had better be a good mechanic and a machinist to make all of the special tools you will need to split cases. It is NOT easy. I have to change Both cases, crankshaft, rod, piston, and cylinder (which is on backorder). It is a Bit#* just to get the flywheel and clutch off much less getting the crank out and swapping over all of the bearings.... and all new seals too. Just be warned.... it's not easy. Good luck.

send it to me i've done it and have all the tools; plus i need a good backup motor! hehe

Varmit57
03-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Thump_It
I have the peice that broke off, I just don't know how I'm gonna get it fixed. Any suggestions???? I'd try JB Weld before I'd buy a new case side!

I rebuilt a few 250x case sides with it.

03-01-2005, 09:11 PM
JB weld overnight should do it...if that doesn't work then get new cases and bust out the wallet

Martin Blair
03-01-2005, 09:28 PM
other then new cases you could see if someone would weld it, but on something liek that i would look for a TIG outfit that does aluminum.

shamisc
03-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Yep. If it's not leaking oil, I would get someone to tig it. It'll prob be less than $50.

450 Racer R
03-02-2005, 01:54 PM
mine did the same thing. Just ripped off the threaded part on the case, the case itself isn't damaged. Glad to hear you had an aftermarket case saver. I still have the stock one and I thought that if I had an aftermarket one it would of never happened. But guess it doesn't matter. I'm just gonna weld mine on and retap the threads if I have to.

Thump_It
03-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Yeah I was talking to Johnny at JH Racing and he said the same thing happened to him. He just left it and got a longer bolt because there are threads way down in there. I'm probably going to JB weld it then get new case saver and longer bolt. We'll see.

Eddiesanders250
03-02-2005, 09:34 PM
same thing happened to me on my trx250R. i also busted a part off of my case. it was not good at all. i used some jb weld to put the peice back on the case and it worked great. It happened a year ago and still no problems.

br549
03-03-2005, 09:55 PM
benwa450r, I'm wondering why U have to replace the 2 cases, crank, rod, piston, & cylinder? A freind of mines 450r blew the motor this weekend while riding at Holley Beach. The bike is only 10 months old, & has hardly ben ridden. It locked up. & when we tore the eng. down it has a broken crank, rod, & cracked the 2 center cases? It had plenty of oil. Don't know what caused the eng. failure. Just would like to know what happen to urs. Thanks Phil

chris450R
03-03-2005, 11:31 PM
what about your warranty? has it already run out? because that would fall under warranty work, i would think? just a suggestion.

chris

450 Racer R
03-04-2005, 05:44 AM
if the chain was adjusted properly it wouldn't of came off and busted the bolt. That's a regular maintenence thing. I doubt the dealer would cover it. I knew it needed adjustment, it's just too many times saying "I'll get it next time"

benwa450r
03-05-2005, 07:46 AM
br549, I was up at Catahoula Recreation in Sicilly Island Feb. 19th weekend for the big sand event and I suspect the JE 13:1 piston broke where it holds the piston to the rod pin breaking piston, rod, cylinder, and pushed the rod through the cases at the seam where both meet. Probably tweaked the crankshaft too. Check out my thread on "13:1 piston owners beware". I have pics posted. Where are you out of?

sulnz450r
03-05-2005, 02:03 PM
I had the same thing happen on my 250 R 3-wheeler and I took it to a guy that could weld aluminum. He welded it back and I never had any problems with it after that and it didn't cost very much.

Thump_It
03-06-2005, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by 450 Racer R
if the chain was adjusted properly it wouldn't of came off and busted the bolt. That's a regular maintenence thing. I doubt the dealer would cover it. I knew it needed adjustment, it's just too many times saying "I'll get it next time"

Well, at the staging area (dunes) I tightened my chain and the housing bolts. Thanks for your advice though, it was much needed. :rolleyes:

450 Racer R
03-06-2005, 07:50 AM
how'd the chain come off? Mine was loose, that's why mine came off and busted the case saver bolt

jeepnrocks
03-06-2005, 08:42 AM
service honda has the side case for 200. that sucks sorry to hear about it..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/jeepnrocks/banner.jpg (http://www.****************.invisionzone.com/)