PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar Axle Check?

CdaleXtreme
03-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Just wanted to make a thread about Lonestar axles for the 450R.

I own one and know they are thicker and seem to be a little beefier than the previous years.

I want to know if anyone has managed to bend or break a Lonestar Axle for their 450R.

As for me I am at half a season with some hard hits and no bends yet.

catch22blaster
03-01-2005, 01:25 PM
i love lonestar axles i have them on the blaster and 450r :)

Thump_It
03-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Mine's taken a pretty decent amount of abuse and has held up just fine. I see it holding up for a long time, it's very stout.

400rider01
03-01-2005, 04:28 PM
i have a lonestar and i dont like it at all it has bent twice already and the chrome coating on the spacers is peeling off

R3Concepts
03-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Ive already snapped one, right at the c-clip groove. Dan told me that the first few they made the groove was machined too deep, so he replaced it on site. New ones holding up fine. If your bending these axles you 1. Dont know how to jump correctly. or 2. Are way off on tire pressure.

CdaleXtreme
03-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Breaking axles seems to be a regular occurence for some, and a very rare occasion for others. But yet the two will be competitive on the track both going relatively the same speed and doing the same jumps.

So it has to come down to riding style, suspension, and bike setup. I tend to be a smoother rider and do jumps I know I can do, (I dont case jumps very much) which seems to be the major culprit in axle breaking, not to mention landing sideways while casing jumps!

I have bent a lonestar before, but that was by overshooting a 60 foot table by 20 feet. In that case I am glad it bent, and nothing else.

-----

New question for everyone: What Situations has your axle bent? Let us know.

speedfreaksguy
03-02-2005, 09:25 AM
I have owned and sold alot of Lonestar axles over the years and have only see a couple bend. Lonestars warranty is great, and those axles were promptly replaced. I do however have a complaint. There chrome is junk. My 450R axle is already pitted and has some rust. I have noticed the same problem on a few YFZ and 400EX axles I installed less than a year ago. I can't say how well they were taken care of on other peoples bikes, but I am a fanatic about keeping mine clean, but it still rusted. I have a 400 in the shop now with a 4 year old RPM axle and the chrome looks brand new.....

03-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by CdaleXtreme
Breaking axles seems to be a regular occurence for some, and a very rare occasion for others. But yet the two will be competitive on the track both going relatively the same speed and doing the same jumps.

So it has to come down to riding style, suspension, and bike setup. I tend to be a smoother rider and do jumps I know I can do, (I dont case jumps very much) which seems to be the major culprit in axle breaking, not to mention landing sideways while casing jumps!

maybe these guys are trying to be too fancy? you know, rocking the bike in the air and then landing on one wheel.

sampleez
03-16-2005, 10:23 AM
i know it's not on an r, but i bent my lsr in my yfz. i did overshoot an 80 foot double tho, so i'm just glad it didn't break. hopefully i'll get it bad by this weekend. if you wanna see the jump, here's a link to a vid of me hittin it. note, the landing of the jump has been redone since then because a few people complained about it. it was alot steeper and shorter, which is why i overshot it.

click on the one that says big double

http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=24314