PDA

View Full Version : Tearing apart engine

williamjernigan
03-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Need help tearing engine down. I have never broken down a engine but I have an 86 250r that has a hole in the left case so I have to break it loose and I know that I will have to pull some gears out and the crank to probrably. I have a clymers on the way to help me and I have a harmonic balancer puller to split the case. If any one can or will help me when I get started please. I want to learn how to work on the bottom end of and engine so I can start doing my own work.

papatrx
03-01-2005, 01:22 PM
This is to vague of a question for a simple answer. The clymers manual is very good and descriptive with good pictures, follow that and then when you have specific questions post them.

The main thing is to take your time during dissassembly and keep track of every part, make notes in your clymer manual next to the pictures.

Read Read Read then Read some more......

easystroke
03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
I just had to replace 3rd gear in my tranny and was basically doing the same thing you are doing. The left case(assuming you mean the flywheel side) is pretty easy to remove from the motor. The tools that I used were: flywheel puller, clutch holding tool(get one of these, they are worth every penny) and a steering wheel puller. The steering wheel puller was kinda small but I made it work. You have to connect the puller to the bolt holes that hold on the stator. Make sure it is straight. You will need some long bolts or all thread to do it too. You should not need to remove anything from the clutch side unless you want to inspect things. You don't even have to remove the crank unless you are going to replace bearings. If you have a digital camera, take pictures. I heated the inner race of the bearing to help it slide back on the crank. Hope this helps. I did all this and removed and reinstalled the motor from the quad in about 6 hours but it was my first time to tear into my honda lower end.

percyboot
03-05-2005, 06:42 PM
thanks for the info that helped me alot i have the same situation. if u find out anymore let us know. when i tear things down i will ask some questions too if thats kool.