PDA

View Full Version : blaster build up part two!

bradley300
03-01-2005, 07:48 AM
TEXAS GNCC HERE WE COME! By Bradley300, pictures courtesy of www.atvriders.com and www.********.com

STAGE 2:SKID PLATES AND GRAB BAR:
Now that the GNCC season has started, this article will also include a small track description and a little bit of sport class play by play. This would be my first race with the new 4+1 offset wheels, and LRD RFX exhaust system. Other than that, the Blaster is just as it was last year. As of now it has extended a-arms, swing arm, Elka shocks and an oversize gas tank.

Thanks to the first article, your stock Blaster is already coming along pretty nice. Good grips, a kill switch and a good set of wheels and tires. Next up is a good set of skid plates. The PRM products I have had have always held up remarkably, so I chose them for this quad also. I purchased the PRM Z-Plate swing arm skid. The skid is a Here I am lined up and ready in Texas quarter inch thick and there are minimal welds. Most of the shaping was done by bending the metal for one solid, strong skid. The under belly skid is also a PRM unit and was very easy to mount. Also it has a hole in it that makes oil changes a breeze. Also from PRM, I got a desert grab bar. This bar is way longer than the stocker, and with the extra leverage, it makes it seem like the feathery Blaster is even lighter. This grab bar is also three time wider than the stocker, which is great. There is now plenty of room for two people to grab on and lift. This is great if you’re stuck and tired late in a race.

here I am at the starting line in Texas, sport class always starts on the last line of the afternoon race, so everybody stop by and say hello

bradley300
03-01-2005, 07:53 AM
TEXAS GNCC
Well the first race of the season is here and its time to race! Weather was pretty good, not to cold, not really that warm either, a slight drizzle of rain came down to help with the dust but cleared up soon.

I lined up fourth from the left out of seven; I was almost in a dead straight line with the post at the first turn. In my class was a 250x, ATVriders.com member Big Bad Beny on his 300ex and 3 warriors. The track was 11 miles and there was a great deal of wide open sections and lots of rocky hill climbs thrown in. This was defiantly a rough track, but also fast.

The flag dropped and I was last off the line, thanks to missing a shift into second gear. In the first turn I worked my way down the fifth place and in the second turn I passed another warrior and was in third place with Big Bad Beny in the lead and a warrior between us. For the first mile we were all neck and together until Beny got up a hill that the warrior has some trouble on. So as Beny pulled away the race turned into a battle of the Yamahas.

Thanks to walking the course the day before, I knew we were headed straight for a long sandy straight that I had anticipated to be fairly whooped out from the morning race, so this was where I would try to make my pass. I ended up being right and the section had become fairly whooped up. We took the first few whoops together until I got to a wider part of the track and I pulled to right and leaned back. Thanks to the aftermarket suspension, I barely felt the whoops, and the faster I went, the better the quad felt.

I quickly made the pass and even got a good gap between us and started to concentrate on reeling in Big Bad Beny. I was pushing harder than normal and I could tell I was already getting tired from not riding at all over the winter.
The machine was working great though. The exhaust had helped the power in almost every rpm with the exception of the very low end. Seat of the pants says this is quite a bit faster than the stocker also. The wheels were a night and day difference over the stockers also, the twitchy steering had gone from minimal with the stock offset to almost non existent with the narrower offset. I couldn’t tell any negative affects of being 2 inches narrower either.

These small parts made a big change in the quad and helped me catch up to Beny at a hill right in front of the first checkpoint. At about the time I thought I had lost him for good, I went around a sharp left hand turn and saw Beny sitting on a hillside. Apparently he had taken an alternate line and was stuck with a few other riders. I shot up the hill and was off like a rocket. I knew that as long as Beny was stuck I had it easy, so I pushed as hard as I could hoping to get a good lead between us before he had the chance to make up any ground. This was my first time ever leading a national and man I was excited! I finished the lap almost two minutes ahead of Beny. I kept pushing and was starting to feel really good.

A few miles in the pro’s started to pass me. Ballance and Borich came first, and I always try to stay with whoever passes me as long as I can in hopes of learning something, but that just isn’t possible with these guys; man they are fast! I came to a down hill and was flying, even up-shifting on my way down and as I started up the other side, my engine stalled and after trying to re-start it with no luck, I rolled to the bottom as Yokeley passed by. And that was the end of my day.

I assume it was a fouled spark plug due to a not-so-premium pre mix ratio, but the motor was also getting low on compression so it might have just decided to give up. The motor is now at Synder Motorsports outside of Cleveland, Ohio. Shawn at SMS has been building Blasters for years and has done very impressive dyno sheets to prove he knows what he is doing. He will be rebuilding my motor and should have it ready so I can race in Florida. After the Florida race, expect another full race report as well as a review on SMS’s new motor.

heres a pic showing a small portion of the track, this was a very smooth section compared to alot of the other stuff

hardkoratvmxr
03-01-2005, 08:13 PM
nice job once again

czrider263
03-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Just thought i would post my blaster project.