PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to put on a new chain

400racer1412
02-28-2005, 07:38 PM
how hard is it to put on a new chain, cause i have out on a chain on a bike but never a quad. is it simaler, i have a 400ex

atvracr350
02-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Yea man changing a chain is something anybody can do with the proper tools. Well i take that back. Do you still have the stock chain on? If so this type of chain is a endless chain (doesn't have a master link) if this is the case you need to get a chain breaker. Or if you have access to a welder he can use his torch to cut the chain. That is what i did. But to put the new one on loosen the 4 allen wrench bolts and push the chain adjustment lever all the way forward. Then run your chain through the sprockets, snap the master link on and tighten the chain as needed. If i was going to recommend a chain i would recommend the D.I.D. x ring gold chain. It is excellent when it comes to the life of the chain and durability. Hope this wasn't confusing. Post more if you have questions.

JOEX
02-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Another option to remove the stock chain is to use a rotary tool (Dremel) and grind the pins off a link.

kargaaro
03-01-2005, 08:39 AM
I really wouldn't like a torch that close to my quad. Just grind the pins off a link. Easy and clean.

GoOn3
03-01-2005, 09:01 AM
replace your sprockets with your chain. Almost always do them as a set.
The only thing you have to be careful of is with your sparkling new chain, don't cut it too short!!! measure, then measure again.

LazeR
03-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by GoOn3
replace your sprockets with your chain. Almost always do them as a set.
The only thing you have to be careful of is with your sparkling new chain, don't cut it too short!!! measure, then measure again.

Yea it is a really good idea to change the sprockets along with the chain. I think that when you buy chains you can tell them that its for a 400ex and they will get you the stock length. so then you dont have to cut it. To get the chain off i would just get a chain breaker, they work wonders