PDA

View Full Version : Water pump weep hole

ATC350X 85
02-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Has anyone ever had anyone anti freeze come out of the weep hole in the water pump? I was putting on my skid plate yesterday and noticed 1 drop coming out, just curious.

wvspeedfreak
02-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Mine does it for a little bit right at start-up then it quits when it is warmed up:confused:

02-28-2005, 08:50 PM
if mine did that I would take it off and see if its a gasket or something...might just need to be taken off and put back on..thats fixes a few things for me

bobbo97f150
03-01-2005, 11:58 AM
It's probably your water pump seal. The weap hole is there to let you know it's leaking. It will eventually, if it's not already, start leaking fluid into your crank case. I'd pull the cover off and change the seal.

CdaleXtreme
03-01-2005, 01:12 PM
the hole is indeed there to to inform you of either a crank case seal leak or a water pump seal leak. If oil comes out, you have a crank case problem, if coolant comes out you have a water pump seal problem.

Just go grab a new seal and throw it in.

Isnt honda great!

400rider01
03-01-2005, 04:31 PM
what do you consider a waep hole?

bobbo97f150
03-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by 400rider01
what do you consider a waep hole?

The black rubber hose coming out of the water pump cover area on the right side of your motor is attached to the weep hole. It is for letting you know a problem is beginning to happen before it gets really bad.

RacinMason_690
03-01-2005, 08:26 PM
where is the weep hole located?

RacinMason_690
03-01-2005, 08:31 PM
nevermind, sorry

DirtDevilBT
03-02-2005, 01:34 AM
If you have ever had a water pump sieze on you or start going bad on your truck, there was probably water coming out of the hole in the bottom of the pump, same idea. It is to help get ride of the water coming in from around the seal instead of it flooding the bearing in side. My fathers truck had a really bad case of this where water was just pissing out of that hole, his water resivoir would go dry in a day, day 1/2.

This was excellerated because he would always top it off with water to the point that all there was was water. The pump needs anti-freeze because it lubricates the bearing and keeps it from rusting inside the water pump. PS- the inside of this pump was completely rusted. CHANGE THAT COOLANT!!

macsolocam
03-02-2005, 07:03 AM
I just bought a water pump seal....Why I am changing it is a different story...Honda is proud of that thing...$40.

ATC350X 85
03-02-2005, 09:54 PM
For those of you that have changed the mechanical water pump seal do I have to remove the right side crankcase cover? I says to in the manual, but it looks like I may be able to just change the seal and thats it. I dont have a bearing remover for the water pump bearing, plus all the other seals etc I would need to get. The seal is just behind the water pump outer cover/impeller. Someone please clarify, I dont want to have it all apart waiting for parts for 2 weeks, thanks in advance.

HP1
03-04-2005, 07:05 AM
I can't tell you if there is any way to change the mechanical seal without removing the right crankcase cover. But I would recommend that you check 2 things that could be the root cause of the seal trouble:

#1 would be radial runout "play" of the bearing.
#2 would be the water pump shaft's surface finish. Make sure there is not a groove worn in it where the seal rides on it.

Then replace those items as needed. The mechanical seal is the most expensive part...I'm sure you don't want a $10 bearing to ruin a $40 seal more than once. After all, when you change a water pump in your car it includes all the water pump parts not just the seal...

Hope this helps.