PDA

View Full Version : Couple Different issues/questions

SoUpX
02-28-2005, 09:06 AM
1) When i'm near the top of 4th gear, my front end shakes like a mofo, it feels like the wheels are going to shake off. It's only at high speeds though. I have my suspension set at the hardest setting because when it was normal it felt Roll-y. It did fine at high speeds. It pretty much sat most of winter i rode it about 4-5 times between november and now, but this weekend i went riding and at high speeds (even on flat rode) the front end feel like it's gonna shake off. I flipped it up and turned the wheels, they turn ok but i heard and felt some sort of drag. I'm going to replace my wheel bearings with 251083B All Balls Front Wheel Bearing Kit, Honda TRX400EX 02-05 from rockymountainatv.com

Should this fix my problem? this is my main concern right now....

2) I have 2 oil changes worth of mobil redcap, i liked it because it was widley approved of and cheap, what my next choice, i'm hoping to sit it out a while and wait until eveyone approves of something else, I hope the new mobil proves to be ok. Maybe a sturdier clutch will be able to handle it better then stock..... any suggestions right now though??

3) I have an 04, i bouth it used after a guy had it for a couple of months and traded it in for an auto due to carple tunnel syndrome. Had maybe 10 hours on it they said (THEY SAID) but it looked good so...... I have religiously changed oil, cleaned/oiled air filter, claened/lubed chain, adjusted chain, washed it everytime i rode it. I think my valves are ready for adjustment and i'm ready for more power. All my friends ride Z400's or KFX400s, w/ pipes and other mods. What kinda price am i looking at for a 416 kit? where can i buy it at? all i see is 440 kits, I dont have to much money but my first mods are definetley going to be a UNI filter and HMF full pipe. But i figured when i adjust the valves i could put a hotcam stage 1 in also, and i'd llike to do a 416 at the same time? (I think with this set up i should be competitive with them if not a step above) Any advice?

4) When i set my suspension to the hardest setting i was trying to find my sweet spot, i never got around to it after i changed it. Any advice? I'm 6'1 weigh 160-165lbs and do mostly trail, jumping, etc... whats a good setting with stock shocks? i eventually want to get the Fox Shox but for now any help???

Thanks for the re-info

Tommy 17
02-28-2005, 09:31 AM
#1 did u put slime or tire sealant in the tires? that will cause the wheels to be out of balance and to shake...

#2 can't answer that i'm lookin for a new oil 2 since i ran red cap also...

#3 130$ for a piston and 30$ for a bore job at most shops... if your goin with a 416 i'd just put in the hot cams stage 2... i run a TC MX cam and love it but its expensive at 205$ + a core charge that you get back if you send in your old cam... the best place to buy the 416 kit would be C&D racing...

#4 i was probably 145lbs when i had stock suspension and i could never find a SWEET spot... all of them seemed to be way off...

SoUpX
02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
#1 did u put slime or tire sealant in the tires? that will cause the wheels to be out of balance and to shake...

Actually i did, but in the back right tire....I got a flat and put slime in it... then when i was riding it went flat again so I plugged it with a friends kit and had to put more tire sealant in to inflate it... would that cause my front to shake? I mean, it's really bad, almost uncontrollable.....

(So its pretty safe to say, 416 can be had for under $200? I think i want a 10.8:1 piston just to be more reliable and be safe on pump gass (sound right?) you really think a stage 2 cam? I like my low end but i guess the 416 will supply plenty of that i guess.... (from what i understand)

Tommy 17
02-28-2005, 12:43 PM
take the slime out of the back tire and see if the shaking stops... it all collects in one part of the tire at high speeds and throws the balance out of wack...

yeah u can do a 416 under 200$ if you build it urself... the only thing u need is the piston and someone that can bore the cylinder out for u...

i run 10.8:1 on pump gas and its perfectly fine... and i've rode 416s with a hotcam stage 2 and never noticed a low end problem...

cletusEX
02-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Did you recently adjust your tie rods? Too much or too little toe in can affect high speed stability. I don't remember which one makes is twitchy at high speed. Check and see, you should be around 1/4" of toe in.

I had a 416 and it ran real good. It had a JE piston and a web cam 450/451 grind. The web cam is nice it is just expensive and you had to run hardened rockers.

SoUpX
02-28-2005, 10:03 PM
thanks for the good info. I'll take the slime out and see what happens. It'll probably be a little while for the 46 though cause i talked to C&D, i might and well get a port/polish and valve job while i'm open.. Does anyone have a write up?? if not I'm gonna send it off just to be safe, I really dont trust anyone around here for engine work....