PDA

View Full Version : 400ex ticking noise?

FoxRacing81
02-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Yesterday, I went riding with my buddies. The quad was running okay, but I noticed a slight ticking noise. Sounded like a timing chain going bad. Only problem with that is, I just replaced the timing chain and tensioner not even 2 rides ago. Rebuilt the whole top end. It seemed like it was getting louder as the day went on, but I am not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Oh by the way, anyone have a stock clutch perch for sale? My MSR Raptor perch sucks and I have snapped 3 clutch cables so far within a matter of about 10 rides. The setup is horrible.

Crazy400EX
02-28-2005, 07:10 AM
valves arent spaced right?

Kilabanshee
02-28-2005, 07:14 AM
Sounds to me maybe your valve clearance is off or there is a problem with your cam. It is normal for an aftermarket cam to tick fairly loud but if you notice it getting louder then deffinatly check your valve clearance.

FoxRacing81
02-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Yeah the cam is a Hotcam Stage Two.
I will check valve clearences. But that was all adjusted less then 2 rides ago....so I don't know why they'd be going bad already.

My friend had something like this happened to him. He said it was the spring in the timing chain tensioner got jammed up or something. I don't know I'll let the guy who works on my stuff take a look at it, because my head gasket is leaking so it is going to need replaced anyway. I was just trying to get some ideas for him to check.

intruder
02-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Check the front timing chain guide it was worn on my son’s 400 when I replaced it the noise went away.

Jay99400ex
02-28-2005, 08:27 AM
First, when you replaced the timing tensioner did you back it off, and make that little T to keep it backed off till you got it tight? If not it was fully extended, and either it's stripped now or it has stretched your chain again, pull the tensioner out and push it real hard and see if it goes in. If it does it's stripped.
Last season I was busy working so I ad my cousin hone and rering my bike, well he didn't know about the tensioner, and I got it back, it ran fine for say and hour then it started ticking, kept getting louder and louder, sounds the same eh?

FoxRacing81
02-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Yea it does sound the same. I didn't do the work though. I let this one guy who did some work on my old 250r and he did some good work, so I figured I'd let him rebuild my 400ex. He has always been very helpful with anything I need done to my quad, but maybe he did make a mistake.

Jay99400ex
02-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Yeah sounds the same as me, my cousin is used to 2 strokes, i mean this guy can build any motor, it's just easy to forget it, when ya haven't done, I probably would have done it too if i didn't know about it.

FoxRacing81
02-28-2005, 08:52 AM
One reason why I think he may not have done it, is because he rebuilt my friends 440ex. I dont know, I'll have to let him look at it.
maybe your right and hopefully I'll only need a new tensioner, not a new chain again.

cals400ex
02-28-2005, 10:17 AM
the stage 2 valve specs are .005 intake and .006 exhaust. retract the timing tensioner and screw the two 8mm bolts in holding the tensioner in place. then quickly pull the screwdriver out of the tensioner. it will self adjust after you do this.

Zuber187
03-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Since you just previously changed the cam I would check the cam sproket bolts. I had them back out which also started making a ticking sound like the valves were loose. Come to find out that both bolts had backed out leting the cam walk back and forth. Make sure you use some locktite or something. Just a suggestion.

TCracin440ex
03-01-2005, 07:09 PM
cant believe nobody has said this yet....but the tappets...they tend to wear out...might want to replace them...they will make it tick fairly loud as well

duke416ex
03-02-2005, 07:42 AM
The front right valve is tricky to adjust and is usually the one that gets out of adjustment on mine. Just be sure when you center the motor to jerk it a little with the socket to make sure the rocker arm is totally lose

2001400exrider
03-03-2005, 02:21 PM
my ex also makes a ticking noise, and will somtimes get progressivly louder, i got the valves adjusted but it still ticks...i thought timing chain too, but someone else told me tappets too? wat are these tappets?

FoxRacing81
03-04-2005, 07:52 AM
I took mine to the mechanic last night and he had me fire it up.

It fired right up and the motor sounded beautiful when it was cold, then once it started to warm, it progressively got louder. He said it sounded like a loose valve but he was gonna check it out anyway because I needed a new heelicoil for my valve cover or something because it was leaking oil. The cam wasn't recently changed, the stage two was in there when I bought it, then the motor blew. Haven't changed the cam at all.