PDA

View Full Version : Good QUIET Exhaust?

pork917
02-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Dont know much about ATV accessories and brands yet since I just bought my 05' 400ex but am hoping you guys can help me out.

Whats a good exhaust, hopefully slip-on that is a good silencer as well. Im not a crazy racer or anything, just like to ride around and have fun, but am hoping to be able to lower the exhaust a little.

What you all recommend? How much do they actually silence it? Any help is appreciated :)

UKRacer#17
02-28-2005, 02:42 AM
i know scorpion exhausts have just launched their atv pipes over there in the u.s, i run 1 and its about 96-98db which is pretty quiet, i ran a TC before which was way noisy and in my opinion the TC allowed ,me to open up slightly more but the scorpion is better at the bottom and mid range.:blah: :)
or for better power try the yoshimura pipes i run 1 on my yfz and its pretty fkin sweet! not sure they do 1 for 400ex?:confused:

rubiowner01
02-28-2005, 11:18 AM
I would suggest a White Brothers E-Series slip on. You can change the number of discs on it to change the volume level. It can be quite or loud, depending on how many discs are on. Here (http://www.atvriders.com/productreviews/wbpipe.html) is a review...

huffdaddy_400EX
02-28-2005, 12:35 PM
If I read your post right you are wanting an exhaust that has a lower dB then stock? Stock is about 88dB as is.

Not sure if that is even possible...without robbing some major power.

I'm running a Dr. D (Dubach Racing) slip-on that gives me some nice low and mid range punch. With the quite core insert I have been measured at Hollister Hill at 94dB.

kfxrider35
02-28-2005, 01:02 PM
when i went with my brother to a pipe shoot out the had the pulse charger which was really quiet but when you get down on it its still a little loud but not as loud as the others.

rollie
02-28-2005, 01:49 PM
i heard HMF with quiet cores are awsome...

my friend had a E-series and it was the loudest pipe around here...even with all the discs in? but he never changedd the packing so that was prob it

DO NOT get a FMF Q...i had one...terrible quality and i had to cut it

jsmith2232
02-28-2005, 06:45 PM
ive got an fmf powercore 4 , without the quiet core insert it sounds awesome but i use it when i go ice fishing and during deer season and with the insert it doesnt sound much different then stock. good luck

KFX
02-28-2005, 07:00 PM
I have a WB E2 system....It has a baffle/spark arrester setup. And it can be ran without for the track. :D

JOEX
02-28-2005, 10:55 PM
I don't think any aftermarket silencer will be quieter than stock.

As a general rule to get more HP you need more flow which equals more noise. A LTE dual exhaust system might be an option if you have some $$ to spend.

pork917
02-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I was under the impression you could get a better exhaust than stock, and have it be lower. Yea im an ATV newbie. After riding it all day today, its really not that loud, i wouldnt mind getting a performance one anyway. LOL im still confused everyone is recommending me different stuff :\ Are those Pro Circuit T4 whatever they are called ones i see all over the mags good?

MtBrian
03-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I don't think any aftermarket silencer will be quieter than stock.

As a general rule to get more HP you need more flow which equals more noise. A LTE dual exhaust system might be an option if you have some $$ to spend. JOEX: I've been searching on info about the Looney Tuned Exhuast systems and I seen another post that you were talking about the LTE. I've gotten so many mixed information about the LTE and wanted to get some real input about it. Do you own one and have had it and another pipe on your machine you can compare it with?
Thanks, Brian

JOEX
03-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by MtBrian
JOEX: I've been searching on info about the Looney Tuned Exhuast systems and I seen another post that you were talking about the LTE. I've gotten so many mixed information about the LTE and wanted to get some real input about it. Do you own one and have had it and another pipe on your machine you can compare it with?
Thanks, Brian
I don't own a one but Markynark does and is very fond of it. I belive he also sells them.

There are supposed to be some exhaust shoot-outs coming out soon and I think the LTE is in at least one of them.

nemesis
03-02-2005, 01:48 PM
I have the big gun quiet series. They have both quiet and race series. The quiet series isn't very loud at all.

400exrider707
03-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
i heard HMF with quiet cores are awsome...

my friend had a E-series and it was the loudest pipe around here...even with all the discs in? but he never changedd the packing so that was prob it

DO NOT get a FMF Q...i had one...terrible quality and i had to cut it

Yeah you will get more noise with all of the discs in by the way. Also a pro-circuit t4 is a good quality pipe at a decent price. If you want it quiet I would look into the pro circuit type 496. 96 Db's