PDA

View Full Version : Project 400ex?...

drifterx
02-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Allright, this is an idea i've been toying with for quite some time. I thought i was just going to put a new suspension on my 300, and some motor work, but i figured out it isn't worth it. So i think i've decided to build up a 400ex, cause i'm pushing my 300 to its limits. But my question is this...

Do you guys think it would be better to buy a beater 400ex, and completely rebuild it, or buy the frame, and motor with the work done to it, and start from scratch? It would be nice to have all the quad together, so i could swap parts when i get them, for a much easier assembly. But, i thought it would be easier to pay for, if i get the frame and stuff first, so i could buy the parts as i go, and not have to save first for the whole quad. Plus i could get some used parts, to save money. What do you guys think?

nosliw
02-27-2005, 11:00 PM
i vote get a stock or near stock 400ex and start from there

YZ400EX
02-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Well I built a 300ex project and bought all kinds of parts from everywhere..After I am completely done I will only have maybe $1300 into it and it will be a 2002 model so You might wanna try to piece it together..It may be cheaper for you..I know it was for me..It is ALOT of time and work though..If you want to get to riding soon you probably would be better off buying a complete one..waiting for the "good deals" can take awhile..

DeerNuts
02-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
i vote get a stock or near stock 400ex and start from there

Word.

drifterx
02-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Well, i'll still have my 300. I'd like to keep it so my dad can ride with me. Plus, if i start from scratch, i'll always have something to ride. :macho

steveatv3
02-28-2005, 08:18 AM
My opinion is go with the beater because it will be alot easyer to work with then ordering all the little stuff seperate, and the stuff you dont use just put it on ebay and use it to build the quad the way you want

trict_out
02-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Think of all the money you could save by starting from scratch.Granted it would be more work and more time consuming. Lets face it though aftermarket products are very expensive and there are abunch of quality cheap used parts for sale via the web. Good luck.

drifterx
02-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Anyone else? Imput is appreciated!

If i'm going to build up the motor, i'd like to get a 426, and then stroke it to 440. My buddy told me that it would rev faster because its a smaller piston, yet it has the power of a 440.