PDA

View Full Version : ESR TRX 5 vs TRX 11

ESR350r
02-27-2005, 06:45 PM
I know some guys have posted on this but i was not able to find them on the forums. I just ordered a TRX 5 center mount pipe form ESR. I was contemplating getting the TRX 11 but i saw were it was only good for dragging and hill climbing. Do any of you have the TRX 11 and what do you think about it. And the same question for anyone with a TRX 5. I hillcimb, run a couple drags, and run some cross country races. I still want to be able to able to cruise around on my quad. Also with the center mount pipe has anyone made a custom air box so they can run it wet conditions, and how did you do it?

brokenbones
02-27-2005, 07:07 PM
i own both pipes with my esr 330 i run the 5 most of the time the 11is all topend and great for hill shooting and dragging
in the sand hill shooting thru the trees the pipe has no bottom so its pretty useless but if its wide open and your on the pipe with no trees its awesome

just my two cents

ESR350r
02-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Hey bones,

did you get the center mount??? if so what do you do when it is wet with the exposed airfiler?

edz250r
02-27-2005, 08:53 PM
I have the esr trx 5 pipe. I think it gives excellent top end as well as good low end too. You're not going to get much low end out of the 11 in woods, etc.

zedicus00
02-28-2005, 08:00 AM
i like my trx-ll. there is no low end power but my shortrod engine is setup for topend anyways. makes dodging trees at WOT a blast.

ESR350r
02-28-2005, 10:14 AM
alright, so i see that the 5 is the way to go for me. Now what about the center mount? Do any of you guys have it and did you make your own air box or how do you deal with wet conditions?

zedicus00
02-28-2005, 10:22 AM
run a water resistant outerwears and a filter eliminator. or maybe fab up a box out of sheet aluminum? i dont think there is anyway u will b able to turn the stock airbox into sumthing usuable.

ESR350r
02-28-2005, 10:47 AM
I know there is no way to run the stock box. I have an outerware filter cover but i did not think that they were water resistant. I was thinking i would somehow create a metal airbox that was the rigth size. I am trying to find out what others with a center mount pipe have done , and if they made an air box how they did it and what it looks like. let me know what you think.

racer113
02-28-2005, 10:59 AM
stay out of the mud and rain is what I do

ESR350r
02-28-2005, 11:23 AM
I usually do not go out and play ride in the mud of rain, but when there is a race and it is wet i am not going to pass it up. I love to race and ride too much for that.

zedicus00
02-28-2005, 11:39 AM
not all outerwears r water resistant. u hav to buy the silicon fiber outerwears, its like 5$ more then the standard one and actully is pretty good at repelling water.

wilkin250r
02-28-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't know if I would trust an open filter, even with an outerwear, to run in wet conditions. A puddle here and there is probably fine, but I certainly wouldn't go plowing through standing water six inches deep.

You have to be careful with airboxes and size. I don't know the specifics, but I've heard many people having problems with aftermarket airboxes that are too small. The throttle response goes to $#!% because the internal volume of the airbox is too small.

ESR350r
02-28-2005, 02:46 PM
If i were going to make my own i would just take some metal and create a box that is the right size and then cut vents/louvers in the to allow air in while keeping water/mud out. I think that it would not be resricting air but just create some added protection from the elements. I know some water may still splash or get in but i would hope the outerware would cover that. This is all easy to say but doing it well is the hard part. I did not know if anyone had messed with this had come up with some other way to handle this problem.

grabberblue
03-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Go to the airbox eliminator thread on this forum ,the link to atvsource has i pic the pretty much sums up that situation.
In my humble opinion the center mount isnt really good for any thing but dunes/flattrack

ESR350r
03-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey grabber,

will you go in to more details on your feelings on this pipe. I put mine on over the weekend. I really like the set up. The center mount pipe realy helps the heat issue. I have a filter cover on mine now, and i have seen other guys running exposed filters that have not run into problems. thanks

grabberblue
03-07-2005, 09:04 AM
I didnt mean to offend you . I dont run a air box myself,but i have to treat every puddle like a landmine. With the silencer in the picture is there any interference with the brake caliper on jumps. I saw you run cross country and i didnt think you would want to be vulnerable to water. Even if you dont ingest enuf water to kill the engine the water/mud from the rear tires can cake up a open filter and choke it badly. Again i didnt mean to offend anybody.

ESR350r
03-07-2005, 09:25 AM
No offense taken, i just wanted some more info on what you thought about it. I know what you mean with treating mud puddles like landmines. With or with out an air box i do just because water on my electrical system causes problems. I am thinking i will probly try to make up some kind of a shield to keep some of the plash of mud and water off my filter. with the center mount kit for the pipe i think everything is up higher then the stock silencer location so there is no problems with hitting anything on jumps i believe but i have not tested that out yet....

ZillaRider02
03-07-2005, 04:56 PM
I've been running my ESR TRX-5 center mount for a while now with no clearance problems. I like the idea of the open air filter for the performance aspect, but I grew out of the mud a long time ago.......Sand only for me.

grabberblue
03-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I used the rubber apron that covers the battery on a 400 ex and zip tied it to the subframe, If that dosent sheild enuff i will go with piece of a truck inner tube to make a tunnel for the filter .

erik
01-25-2006, 02:23 PM
hey i am running into the same exact problem..after race 1 of the WORCS series my 250R choked becuase of too much mud/water. I was thinking about fabricating my own aribox my thought for a design was almost like a coffee can thing to go around my K&N

i dont know anyone ever try to make one yet?

Cr85rRida
01-25-2006, 06:01 PM
omg lmao holy crap how far did you have to go to find this one!

ESR350r
01-25-2006, 06:12 PM
I ended up cutting an old atv tire innertube and wrapping it around the frame and air filter. I ran a GNCC race and a hare scramble with that set up and it was wet and muddy at both races and i never had any problems. I took it easy in deep water crossings but puddles and mud were nothing and the air filter was clean afterwards.

HiperEX
01-25-2006, 07:09 PM
can you run a center mount pipe with the trx6?

Tom TRX250R
01-25-2006, 08:05 PM
ESR doesn't make the TRX 6 pipe in center mount.

erik
01-26-2006, 07:38 AM
can anyone post a pic of thier custom "airbox" or innertubey thing?