PDA

View Full Version : got a couple of simple questions

nosliw
02-27-2005, 05:05 PM
1. stacked my tires on my seat, took them off a day or so later, left black marks which even though got washed and scrubbed repeatedly, not to mention my *** rubbing it ever time i ride, have not come out. any secrets out there?

2. why is it that the crankcase fumes are recirculated into the air boot? that's for emissions (for cars anyways), so if i get rid of that white plastic thing, plug the hole in the airboot, and just let the fumes fumigate out into the open air do you think it would help my oil stay cleaner longer?

thanks for any help

rYan01400EX
02-27-2005, 06:53 PM
In reply to question #1, does your quad sit out in the sun? If so, maybe the seat has faded and where the tires set it didn't fade. Umm, something like Spray Power or Castrol Super Clean with a little water may do the job. Don't hold me to it though.

Question #2 : No clue man.. Sorry.

nosliw
02-27-2005, 07:40 PM
no it didnt get direct sun when the tires were on it. it's not just an area that didnt get sunbleached.

its like the rubber came off the tire and stuck to the seat. it's not raised, it's all smooth along with the rest of the seat.

here's a pic i took 30 seconds ago-

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/9057/dsc001169bq.jpg

rYan01400EX
02-27-2005, 07:42 PM
I'd still give the Spray Power other powerful cleaner a shot. That's crazy though, never seen something like that.

nosliw
02-27-2005, 07:44 PM
alright i'll give that stuff a shot tomorrow.

can anyone answer my second question?

rYan01400EX
02-27-2005, 07:45 PM
You don't mean Air Box do you?

nosliw
02-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by rYan01400EX
You don't mean Air Box do you?

what???

rYan01400EX
02-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Im not new to this, and air boot isn't a term in my book yet. Have never heard it. Sorry.

nosliw
02-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Im not new to this, and air boot isn't a term in my book yet. Have never heard it. Sorry.

airboot goes from the filter (inside the airbox) to the carb. it has a small hole on the side of it that the crankcase fumes are ventilated, the vacuum of the engine draws them in there.

my question is, if i remove that and plug the hole, will fact that my oil will be cleaner be worth not having that vacuum pull fumes out of the crankcase?

rYan01400EX
02-27-2005, 08:12 PM
From my small motor knowledge, I would leave it there, letting it continue to rid of the fumes. I'm not sure what the fumes would do inside the crankcase but I would be as safe as possible and leave it there. How dirty is your oil?

If they fumigated in the air, and won't hurt your oil, then go for it. If your oil is so dirty, drain the motor and oil tank free of oil all together and put all new oil into it. Sorry I can't be of much help.

nosliw
02-27-2005, 08:15 PM
From my small motor knowledge, I would leave it there, letting it continue to rid of the fumes. I'm not sure what the fumes would do inside the crankcase but I would be as safe as possible and leave it there. How dirty is your oil?

just changed it today. as dirty as all the other times i've changed it. average looking oil with only 8-10 hours of riding in it. i probably should leave it there. i hate pcv though, i get rid of that and egr in all my cars... :mad:

rYan01400EX
02-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Yea..

chucked
03-03-2005, 06:53 PM
it is there to let the crank case breath, and so only clean air will get into it, if you leave it in the open you will be letting everything nice in the air into it.

blue416ex
03-03-2005, 07:58 PM
if you really think that this is the cause of the "dirty oil problem" then go to Wal-Mart and go in to the automotive dept or any local automotive store ( pep boys , autozone, etc.) and get a small clamp on filter and a hse adapter that will adapt a hose from the crank case vent to the size of the clamp on filter then just run the hose with the filter on it somewhere safe where the LEAST amount of dirt/mud/dust will get to REMEMBER to oil the filter ;)

hope i helped your problem:devil:

chucked
03-03-2005, 08:02 PM
When you say your oil is dirty, its not, when it turns black that means it has "broken down" heat causes it to break down.

JOEX
03-03-2005, 08:11 PM
The same thing happened to a friends seat, nothing took the marks off. He fixed it by getting a new seat cover:p

nosliw
03-03-2005, 08:39 PM
i change it before it's gets black. dirty oil isnt the problem, it doesnt turn bad quicker than any other 400ex out there, i was just wondering if removing it would help. i guess not. question answered.

yea that stuff didnt work. scuff is still there. i guess i'll have to live with it :rolleyes: