PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Raptor Problems!!

nicker71
02-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Just bought my firtst yamaha ever ( allways had hondas) it is a used 02 raptor. When I got it home I noticed that one of the carbs would constatly leak fluid out of one of the carbs. I thought that it might need to be cleaned, so I cleaned it a it was fine for a while, and now it is doing it again. Should I get a rebuild kit for it. I think the float is sticking??

also when ever I really get on it and it about 80-90% on the gas it makes a cuting out noise or backfire noise. Not sure what is wrong with it, maybe wrong jetting?? it has full aftermarket exhust and a aftermarket air filter.

I dont know what to do, has anyone ever had these problems??

Also thinking about lowering it with the lowering kits on ebay, has anyone ever used these before and are they anygood??
how much supension travel do you loose? if any. It just sits up to high.

thanks

nicker71
02-27-2005, 09:42 AM
one other thing I want to lower it and maybe put extended a arms on it. I was thinking buy the lowering kit for the back and maybe a arms for the front with stock shocks. ANd if the back just add extensions on the stock axle or a aftermarket on.
What do you raptor owners recomend??

RideRed250ex
02-27-2005, 10:37 AM
I've heard that there are some really bad raptor carbs out there. A lot of them break. Most people buy an aftermarket one to fix the problem. I wouldn't recomend using wheel spacers on your bike, it can only cause problems in the long run. They put more leverage on everything...ball joints, bump steer, bent axle. The cutting out is prolly due to the carb messing up. If you keep the same shocks and get a lowering kit it won't reduce your travel it will ride a little different, but I don't see any problem putting a lowering kit on it.

wheeltrax
02-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Most lowering kits dont recommend jumping however, so if you like to jump then i wouldnt get a lowering kit either.

khen
02-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Make sure that the carb float bowl drain screw on the carb is snug. A buddy of mine had the same problem with one of his carbs leaking and that is what it was. My buddy also had a problem with the engine cutting out and backfiring like you're discribing. It turned out that the K&N air filter was over oiled and clogged. He had just cleaned it, but he didn't use the K&N filter cleaning chemical, the Raptor didn't like that at all. We found the Raptor to be very picky on jetting as well.. He ended out going with 1 size bigger jets on both carbs when he opened his airbox and drilled out his stock exhaust.

RAPTORAZ
02-27-2005, 07:22 PM
1) Pull off seat
2) Take front fenders loose at the rear
3) Take off grill
4) Use long extension with a 10mm socket to remove the front gas tank mounting bolts
5) Remove rear tank bolt
6) Sneak tank out the back while leaving the front fenders attached
7) Remove airbox
8) Remove carbs
9) Remove carb bowls(put on new seals)
10) Put in 27.5 pilot jets, 180/185 main jets, check float levels, and put pilot screws at 2 turns out

Put back together in reverse order. Fuel leak and jetting(assuming your not using an airbox lid) problems are now fixed.:D