PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake Blockoff

07-27-2001, 03:10 PM
I've been wondering why people have a parking brake blockoff, What am I missing, how does it help?

MOFO
07-27-2001, 03:35 PM
well, I wouldnt say it helps that much. It mainly helps keep the rear brake caliper clean. You dont need it unless you pull off your emergency brake.

Eric

skemp
07-27-2001, 03:36 PM
Yep, it doesn't do much but keep dirt out of your caliper if you remove the entire parking brake assembly.

Pro400EXC
07-27-2001, 04:46 PM
They also look trick and save about 2 ounces.

07-27-2001, 10:21 PM
thanks, I don't race so i'll just leave it alone( for now) ;)

NVR2L8
07-27-2001, 11:47 PM
I removed my rear parking brake because I had to constantly re-adjust the POS so it would work. Also, I've heard that if the parking brake is adjusted a little too tight it can cause the rear pads to wear prematurely--I pulled mine off within the first month or so after buying mine, and a year and a half later I’m still on the stock pads. Lastly, if you remove the entire parking brake assembly you can also loose the hideous and gigantic clutch and brake contraption, and replace it with a much cleaner stock XR250 clutch perch/lever or one of many other aftermarket setups.

Stevo
07-29-2001, 05:20 PM
Yeh it takes off the big mess on the bars and saves a little weight. I like it mostly for making the rear brakes lasting a lot longer.

07-30-2001, 09:49 PM
My parking brake has siezed up twice. (the adjustment) I fixed it right this time. I blocked it off!!;)

monkeyboy
09-24-2004, 02:45 PM
juss shuv a rokk under da tirr

09-24-2004, 06:05 PM
i dont see the point in park brakes all you need is 1st gear and your set

svwildcats
09-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Most people get them because most of the time the parking brakes dont work after the first ride or two, I know mine never worked, and also because it saves some weight and allows you to use different kinds of perches. Hope this helps, I like mine and it does what its supposed to unlike the parking brake.

ny300exrider
09-25-2004, 06:55 AM
if you get a new clutch lever you need to remove the big parking brake assembly because aftermarket clutch levers do not have a place for it to go. they also wear down your break pads and never worked anyway.

400exrules
05-31-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
if you get a new clutch lever you need to remove the big parking brake assembly because aftermarket clutch levers do not have a place for it to go. they also wear down your break pads and never worked anyway.

when u get a parking brake block off, wut do u do....just unhook it and put on the plate by the rear brake caliper, or do u have to take all that junk off the handlebars too?

Striker49
05-31-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
when u get a parking brake block off, wut do u do....just unhook it and put on the plate by the rear brake caliper, or do u have to take all that junk off the handlebars too?

Orignially posted in 01 :huh

However, your statement is pretty much it. Removing the parking brake cable is very simple and shouldnt take more than 5 minutes to do. Just make sure the blockoff plate is turned the right way because some brands will not seal properly and leak if not bolted right-side up. :p