PDA

View Full Version : Project250R just encountered a setback

250R-Dee
02-27-2005, 01:59 AM
The person who sold me the frame either didn't own this frame very long or is a BOLD FACE LIAR. As some of you know I am using an '86 frame/'89 swingarm setup. The person who wedled the lower mounts to the frame for the original owner must have been Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder because the crap is crooked. The previous owner said all bolts mounted correctly but you had the leave all bolts until everything was together. The first thing I notice a long time ago was that the Headstay bolt hole was missing the stay by about 5mm or more and then I noticed that I could not install the lower bolt if the rear bolt was installed (and vice versa). When I dug up the pics of the primered frame I noticed that the lower mounts seem to be at weird angles. It looks like I will be spending money on an after market frame from Ebay for an '88-'89 swingarm because my current farme is banged up anyway.

First pic is the primered shot.

250R-Dee
02-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Headstay shot:( ! This really doesn't matter since I plan to use a cool head without a stay but this showed me that something was amiss.

250R-Dee
02-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Lower center bolt shot:eek2: with the front and rear bolts mounted.

ZRider400
02-27-2005, 07:28 AM
wow thats horrible.

who ever made those mounts was a moron.

nacs400ex
02-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Just took a second and looked at those mounts again, damn those are way out of whack. Sorry to hear about that man. I guess its a good excuse to get a aftermarket frame :cool:

If you look where the swinger mounts, beside it on the outersides of the frame you can see where it used to be crack and now sloppy weld. Looks like that frame is toasted all together.

Be careful what type of frame you get though, because I have heard of some companies frames that, look just as bad as that!

JTRtrx250r
02-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by TRX250RJapan
Headstay shot:( ! This really doesn't matter since I plan to use a cool head without a stay but this showed me that something was amiss. is your head milled? mine is and thats exactly what it looks like, usually if the headstay wont bolt up smoothly...means the frame is bent

On the white frame...does the right aarm mount sit higher than the left? looks to be bent kind of like mine:( I cant effin stand punks rippin ppl off online:mad:

Good Luck man

250R-Dee
02-27-2005, 04:42 PM
The left side rear mount is the problem. It looks like it is bent. I think this poor excuse for beefy mounts is a result of amateur re-inforcement. The welder should have positioned the engine with the top and front mounts before "tack welding the lower center and lower rear mounts into place. I was thinking about slotting the lower center mount and adding an upper rear mount BUT the proper way to ensure the motor sits so the front sprocket is correctly aligned with the rear sprocket is remove the crappy beefy mounts and start all over. :mad:

I am watching a Warlock Racing and a Laeger frame on Ebay so hopefully I will be able to win one of them at a reasonable price.

oldsandman
02-27-2005, 04:56 PM
You're right remove the mounts and fab up some new ones would be your best bet.

250R-Dee
03-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Last night I removed all of the lower bolts except for the rear bolt and made the mounts work. The Sprockets line up perfectly and I now have all three of the lower mount bolts CONNECTED:macho . I will use this frame until I locate a LSR, Laeger or similar frame at a decent price. Looks like I might be riding soon.

trick250r
03-04-2005, 09:39 AM
good luck man

hrc85250r
03-05-2005, 09:16 PM
ill buy the frame from you if you want to ditch it...

krazykarl
03-23-2005, 04:10 PM
wow, those are some buger welds. who ever welded up your frame needs to go back to welding 101. even if the mount worked. i dont think it would of lasted very long. good luck man

pismoracer
03-23-2005, 05:52 PM
man was your welders nick name "ray ray" lol that sucks!

is the frame up for sale?

250R-Dee
03-23-2005, 05:55 PM
The previous user actually used this frame for a couple years:eek2:

I got everything to match up by installing the mount bolts in the following order:

stand the quad on the grab bar
(1) rear bolt with the nut looose
(2) bottom center bolt with the nut loose
(3) front bolt but start from the shifter side
(4) hand tighten the center bolt
(5) hand tighten the rear bolt
(6) hand tighten the front bolt
(7) tighten all bolts to spec in the previous pattern.

I checked the sprocket alignment and everything is straight!!

My Elka's should be here soon and the ASR A-arms (with flaking paint), '88 spindles with hubs, and the rear dogbone are about to be shipped to Pappy for powder coating. I cleaned up the Pipe with polish and steel wool so it looks BE UUU TEE FULL (beautiful) now.

Hopefully I will be kicking roost by the end of next month.

250R-Dee
03-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Oh yeah... I am still looking for an after market frame because I can not get an OEM frame shipped to this tropical ROCK without paying $300.

The headstay still does not matchup but that does not matter since I am planning to get a cool head without the stay mount tab.

beerock
03-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Oh yeah... I am still looking for an after market frame because I can not get an OEM frame shipped to this tropical ROCK without paying $300.

The headstay still does not matchup but that does not matter since I am planning to get a cool head without the stay mount tab.

NO

use the head stay, make the hole oval shape and mount the head stay. even if you get a cool head get it with the head stay mount.

These frames are meant for the head stay, IT IS NOT A ROLL design or a aftermarket frame that doesn not require the head stay. your frame will crack quicker if you dont use it trust me, that head stay strngthens the entire frame.

if you dont want to shape the head oval shaped then use a skinnier bolt and nut and tigten that up.

250R-Dee
03-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Nope ... No way in hell am I going to use a headstay with these wacky mounts. If I do use a headstay it will be one that I make from scratch.

Let me re-phrase my previous comment :

headstay will be connected to the frame but NOT the motor since I will be using a headstayless cool head.

beerock
03-24-2005, 05:54 AM
Nope ... No way in hell am I going to use a headstay with these wacky mounts. If I do use a headstay it will be one that I make from scratch.

Let me re-phrase my previous comment :

headstay will be connected to the frame but NOT the motor since I will be using a headstayless cool head.

NO you still need the head stay to bolt to the motor. unless you feel like cracking your frame quicker

250R-Dee
03-26-2005, 11:05 PM
BeeRock - I know many people who do NOT connect the headstay to motor and have not cracked a frame. CR500 powered '88 framed quad that has been trail ridden hard for years with no frame cracking.

Now, if a earthquake-like noncounter balanced CR500 does not crack a frame I am sure my little counterbalanced TRX250r will NOT crack the frame.

beerock
03-27-2005, 07:06 AM
There are many 250r afficiondos on this site that would agree with me. you can do what you want I'm just trying to help you maintain the life of your frame.

250R-Dee
03-27-2005, 07:15 AM
You might as well give-in because I think my opinion is better than your opinion. Plus it's my money and my quad.:D

beerock
03-27-2005, 07:21 AM
your right, it will also be YOUR FAULT when it cracks for not putting in the factory part honda supplied with the bike.
My opinion also thinks that whoever is riding that cr500 is not riding it hard or jumping it big, I could be wrong. I have seen 5 stock framed R's with cr500 mtoors, all cracked. they were all built right.

250R-Dee
03-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Giveup man -- :D :blah:

If you want me to run a frame with the headstay connected PLEASE find one, send it to me and then pay me to rin your setup.

It has been proven that Honda doesn't always build items correctly so get off of the stock Honda parts ramblings. Many people have run the head stayless cool heads with no problems. I will not be hitting 60ft doubles, I will not be doing freestyle tricks, but I will be riding the crap out of my quad on trails.

If the frame cracks, which it probably will since it is an abused POS, I weld it back together.

:D = I'm having fun with this topic

beerock
03-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Giveup man -- :D :blah:

If you want me to run a frame with the headstay connected PLEASE find one, send it to me and then pay me to rin your setup.

It has been proven that Honda doesn't always build items correctly so get off of the stock Honda parts ramblings. Many people have run the head stayless cool heads with no problems. I will not be hitting 60ft doubles, I will not be doing freestyle tricks, but I will be riding the crap out of my quad on trails.

If the frame cracks, which it probably will since it is an abused POS, I weld it back together.

:D = I'm having fun with this topic

oh yea im havin fun too!

Your right, theres alot of of oem parts not needed. but THAT head stay is a integral part of the frames rigidity. youll be welding alot more if you dont use that head stay.

I'm not giving up but im ending this right here.
the fact is you are WRONG, Your opinion is your opinion, but then again, You could also have an opinion of only using 3 bolts on each rim since the 4th one isnt needed:rolleyes:

that head stay is a integral part of the frame just by looking at a frame without a motor cant you see what a roll the head stay plays?

250R-Dee
03-27-2005, 04:12 PM
I would never run 3 bolts on a 4 bolt rim but I WILL run without the headstay connected to the motor.

beerock
03-27-2005, 06:09 PM
I would never run 3 bolts on a 4 bolt rim but I WILL run without the headstay connected to the motor.

its the same difference..........................:o

250R-Dee
03-27-2005, 06:36 PM
I call a truce because this is getting ridiculous:D

Oh yeah... my quad and my money:p

440exnacsracer
03-27-2005, 06:40 PM
it can also help to keep your frame from twisting up top, but seems like your not too worried:D hope it dont break

beerock
03-27-2005, 07:08 PM
I call a truce because this is getting ridiculous:D

Oh yeah... my quad and my money:p

yes it is rediculous.
your right, your quad your money, dont forget, your CRACKS and twisted frame.........;)

zedicus00
03-27-2005, 07:25 PM
u should run a headstay even if you dont connect it to the frame. the the quad and frame were designed with the engine to be an integral stiffening device.

yamablaster24
03-27-2005, 07:28 PM
ouch thats definately not good :eek2:

JTRtrx250r
03-27-2005, 11:32 PM
I do run the head stay, just not the bolt thru the head, my heads been milled and it cant be too much diffrent than the Coolheads w/o the top mount, altho if I could fit a bolt..I'd probably run it:blah:

I'd say it depends on what kind of rider and how hard you ride if you ask me...a flattracker dont have the same worries an mx'er does

250R-Dee
03-28-2005, 01:38 AM
Headstay will be in the frame but it will not be connected to the motor. If I ever find another frame I will most likely connect the headstay. This frame is CRAP so I do not care if it cracks.

Welder = REPAIRED CRACKS and I own a welder :D