PDA

View Full Version : any pool sharks in here?

suck my pipe
02-26-2005, 10:09 PM
I've been getting into playing pool, its an awesome game! Just wondering if any one else plays? What kind of stick do you suggest? I got a $35.00 one from Walmart, it's decent but im going to save up for one of them $200-300 ones.

Cody_300ex
02-26-2005, 10:11 PM
I play pool on yahoo. :confused:

throwinitup
02-26-2005, 10:15 PM
i got a fullsize 9' table in my basement.... with a bar :devil:

suck my pipe
02-26-2005, 10:25 PM
awesome! I would def. have one if I had room some where to put it:(

02-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by throwinitup
i got a fullsize 9' table in my basement.... with a bar :devil:

i got that plus a shuffleboard table..

And i shoot at the house with a meucci and when im out i use a TIMMY SCRUGGS sneaky pete..

Both cues are 21 oz.

Jesse

Scott-300ex
02-27-2005, 11:14 AM
i got a table and play

i use 18 ounce

im pretty good

i hate when i have days where i can clear the table and days when i really suck

my dads friend was really good he played against the 2nd best in the world and beat him, lol

his daughter is like 25 5'4" tall and goes to halls and plays for money and the guys are like, "yeah, we'll take this little chick" she beats em and cleans up and comes home with 200-300 bucks a night

funny as hell

Str8Wicked 74
02-27-2005, 12:21 PM
me and my friends hustle at pool halls every now and then. we'll go there, suck, and ask people to play for some money. of course, when it comes to money, we put away the house cues and break out our personal ones. we play for $50 a game usually, but have played for a couple hundred. not a bad way to spend a saturday night.

trick450r
02-27-2005, 12:36 PM
my dads a nationally ranked pool player...hes got like a $300 two-piece stick....hes awsome...beats me every time!

Nausty
02-27-2005, 12:53 PM
I grew up playing pool since I before I could see over the table. My grandma owns a bar and we always went over there and i'd play pool. I got a mcdermit(spel?) Now I havn't been playing for quite some time besides a random game here and there.

My dad been in the process of restoring one for about 5 years.:confused:

NEPA250R
02-27-2005, 03:51 PM
check out the Super Billiards Expo in Valley Forge, PA. It takes place at the end of March. The amateur tournament has upwards to a 1000 entries with 1st place taking $5000. All the pros show up too with an Open Pro tournament.

02-27-2005, 03:53 PM
i got a burgundy minnesota fats stick for sale 80 shipped

02-27-2005, 03:56 PM
I also have a pool table in my basement along with a fullblown bar, but i never got into playing it

wvspeedfreak
02-27-2005, 04:54 PM
I shoot pool with a broom handle.

Plante400
02-27-2005, 08:16 PM
put the 3 bills into your bike!

suck my pipe
02-27-2005, 09:05 PM
theres more in life than just quads. nuttin wrong with putting some money into a nother hobby.

LTZ400rider
02-27-2005, 09:13 PM
yeah pool is awesome i got a table in my basement. only play when my friends r over, but i been playin more often cuz i pimped out my basement. got the 50 dollar fiberglass anti warp excaliber cue. i wouldnt drop 300 on a stick trust me. id get a 100 dollar one

bulkdriverlp
02-27-2005, 09:33 PM
i played on a league bout 5 years ago for 6yrs straight, used to be pretty good. could draw the length of the table in different directions and controll it. could do a bit of masse` could jump on a good day, but most of the time id screw it up. my signature shot was real thin cuts. used to have a kasson bar size in my house but had a baby so had to sell it. i always used mucci 19oz sticks.

Dale512
02-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Why waste $200-300 on a poolstick, when you would do just as good with the one you have? Seems like a waste......

insaneracin2003
02-28-2005, 08:07 AM
any real pool player would rather a good stick than just a house cue.i dont consider myself a pro player but i can handle my own at the table.i shoot with a custom 3 peice that cost about 1100.00 dollars.no,i didnt spend 1100.00 to buy it.i traded a 300.00 McDermitt and 2 bills for it.if you are a real player,you will no the difference........

Jay99400ex
02-28-2005, 08:16 AM
My Viking was over 300 bucks, I don't take it when i go to the bars unless I know i'm playing for money, just messing around a house cue is fine, but when you play league or gamble, you gotta have your own stick, something yer used to.

Dale512
02-28-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm sure its worth it if your in a league or your playing for some decent money, but unless thats what you do then I think its a waste to spend that kind of money on a stick.

Jay99400ex
02-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Well a pool stick IF taken care of properly will last a long time, one of my sticks is 12 years old and straight as can be, but for a player just starting out, I'd say pick up a $40-$60 player or cobra stick and go from there, same as quads, I know i wouldn't race a 185 ya know, but that's what i started with

wilkin250r
02-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Pool? That's that little game with all them colored balls, right? Never played before in my life.

Tommy 17
02-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Pool? That's that little game with all them colored balls, right? Never played before in my life.

then why do u have the 1st ball (7 ball) that you are supposed to hit in as ur avatar:p :confused: :blah:

i use to play all the time at home with friends before i came to college...

sharkinthepool
02-28-2005, 01:18 PM
I play every now and then. I have a Lucasi (350-400) and a Meucci (500). Definetaly go with the Meucci. The Lucasi is a stiffer stick. You can have them turned for better flex but the Meucci is pretty much factory tuned for the abuse of a hardcore everyday/everynight pool player. I also have a players cue that I only use for breaking, sort of a sneaky pete design.

wilkin250r
02-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
then why do u have the 1st ball (7 ball) that you are supposed to hit in as ur avatar:p :confused: :blah:

Oh, is THAT what my avatar is? Silly me. Like I said, I don't know much about the game.

But you want to play $100 a game? Sure, I'll play. It's all for fun, right? I hope you don't beat me too bad. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and sink a few. ;)

sharkinthepool
02-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Well I do not know??? That money is for other things, but what the hey. I saw you playing and you did not look that good.:D

zephead400ex
02-28-2005, 02:05 PM
I play a little pool, mainly at the bars, but I frequent those anyway:) I don't play for money, maybe a beer or two, but that's about as competitive as I get. I love playing. Once I get my own place, a pool table will be my first house toy!:D

Quad18star
02-28-2005, 02:34 PM
I used to play when I was younger . Used to have a snooker table which was 12 feet long by 7 wide I believe .( I can't remeber the exact size) . Each slate for the table was 2 inches thick and weighed about 300LBS . It had the small pockets and was finished in a dark cherry wood . It was a professional snooker table for competitions .... the banks didn't give off much of a bounce either . The table was worth well over $10 000 .

I swear if you played on that table , then went into a bar or pool haul with the coin tables , you could hussle anyone . I did it many times before . :blah: It was nice to go to a bar and not have to buy drinks .... slap a dollar in the table .... have hold of the table all night ( opponent pays the table fee ... if he wins he owes the table till he loses) ... then you start hussling ... $10 at a time . Played a few games with a couple hundred $$ at stake ... I didn't care .. it was money I won . :p I haven't played in a few years though ... I'd like to get back into it and try to remember all the rules of snooker.

400grl
02-28-2005, 03:44 PM
I used to play ALOT of pool - all through college and into my party days after....I worked at a pool hall, went to work early and stayed late practicing......I had a nice stick I inherited from one of the tournie guys......then I pawned it off.....then I bought another one.....it was a breakstick.....it looked just like a bar cue.....I loved it. I hated breaking out the blingin' stick - people would expect too much......much more fun with a boring, plain, NICE stick!! That way you could catch people off guard. I also played ALOT with bar sticks - bent ones, warped ones....crappy tipped ones...that gets you good pretty quick, too. Also, I had fun learning to play left handed........because you can switch hands if you need to for different shots instead of laying all over the table, etc..........I did pretty good - got alot of drinks and stuff....sometimes would play for money - mostly for fun.

I still have my stick - just no time to play anymore.....

And yeah....play on tournament sized tables as much as you can, because then you get into the bars, and the tables are SO easy!! LOL!!

Oh....and no matter what anyone says - 9-ball is a game of SLOP!!! LOL!!! :)

insaneracin2003
02-28-2005, 03:46 PM
snooker is a blast,rules are fairley easy.pocket a red ball(cherry) then pocket a colored ball(point balls) each cherry is worth 1 point and the colored balls are worth 2,3,4,5,6,7 depending on the color ball you pocketed.you must pocket a cherry before you can pocket a colored ball.in series= cherry,color,cherry color and so on.each colored ball is then spotted on the table in it spot after making it..after all the cherries are pocketed then you must go in order of the colored balls,green,brown,yellow,blue,pink,black.the person with the highest score...wins
if you miss your object ball then you minus the points the ball is worth,if you scratch then you minus 4 points min.

insaneracin2003
02-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Oh....and no matter what anyone says - 9-ball is a game of SLOP!!! LOL!!!
oh really,i dont consider it slop.just change the rules at the beginning of the bet.call 9 or sumthin like that........works good for anyone

400grl
02-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Yeah.....the people I used to play always wanted to play 9-ball, and then they'd just bang the balls and hope something went in.....I only like 9 ball if you are playing someone who knows how to actually PLAY! ;) And yeah....I like to call the 9.....

Anyone ever play chalk-8 ball? That was fun game......teaches you good control......

wilkin250r
02-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
because you can switch hands if you need to for different shots instead of laying all over the table, etc

See, that's half the fun. If was playing you, I don't care about winning, I would PURPOSELY leave shots to make you lay over the table. :devil:

MOFO
02-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Here's the stick I have.... owned it for over 4 "hard" years of playing pool and it still looks and shoots like new! The only thing I've do to it is replace the tip - I prefer a nice soft elk master.

And anyone that says a $300 stick is not worth it... your not good enough to know the difference. Trust me!

Meucci FR-1 18oz

http://www.billiardscues.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=410

suck my pipe
02-28-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm going to get a Relic, or a Viking cue. I like the looks of them the best and they seam to be good sticks. Most pros play with a viking stick. Vikings are a little more exspencive but like they said before, I take GOOD care of my stuff and one good exspencive stick should last me a while. Not quite old enough for my own house yet, but i will definitly have a bar/pool room built on. I like a 21oz stick. let me know what you think about the weight and the brands.

Quad18star
03-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
snooker is a blast,rules are fairley easy.pocket a red ball(cherry) then pocket a colored ball(point balls) each cherry is worth 1 point and the colored balls are worth 2,3,4,5,6,7 depending on the color ball you pocketed.you must pocket a cherry before you can pocket a colored ball.in series= cherry,color,cherry color and so on.each colored ball is then spotted on the table in it spot after making it..after all the cherries are pocketed then you must go in order of the colored balls,green,brown,yellow,blue,pink,black.the person with the highest score...wins
if you miss your object ball then you minus the points the ball is worth,if you scratch then you minus 4 points min.

Ah the rules are starting to come back to me now ..... I'm gunna have to go out and play a game again some day soon . The girlfriend was asking to go play the other day .... I guess I'll have to try and hussle her . ;)

Quad18star
03-01-2005, 06:10 AM

Ah the rules are starting to come back to me now ..... I'm gunna have to go out and play a game again some day soon . The girlfriend was asking to go play the other day .... I guess I'll have to try and hussle her . ;)

knighttime
03-01-2005, 10:23 AM
i use a Viking with a predator 314 shaft with an elk master tip.

Billiards Cues
04-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Here's the stick I have.... owned it for over 4 "hard" years of playing pool and it still looks and shoots like new! The only thing I've do to it is replace the tip - I prefer a nice soft elk master.

And anyone that says a $300 stick is not worth it... your not good enough to know the difference. Trust me!

Meucci FR-1 18oz

http://www.billiardscues.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=410

Just wanted to let you know that I'm glad you like your cue. We have also added thousands more and lowered prices for registered members. Check out our new additions and prices that can't be beat.

Rack em'!
Shooter

http://www.billiardscues.com

insaneracin2003
04-03-2006, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MOFO
[B]Here's the stick I have.... owned it for over 4 "hard" years of playing pool and it still looks and shoots like new! The only thing I've do to it is replace the tip - I prefer a nice soft elk master.

I can vouch for that,i have a Mcdermott which costs about 250.00 range and a custom cue from a local guy which costs upwards around 1100.00. The custom cue has a narrow butt which breaks down to a jump stick.
Like MOFO says,anyone that says a 300.00 doller cue is not worth it,I will be still shooting with my custom cue and my McDermott LOOONNGGG after you have gone through 3-5 cues,plus you cant match the ballance.

insaneracin2003
04-03-2006, 11:34 AM
another good strategy game and cue ball control game is 1-pocket.i hated it at first but once you learn strategies,it is a blast.

FoxRacingAdam
04-03-2006, 12:10 PM
i used to shoot pool in a youth leage. me and my team ended up going to the nationals in soix city Iowa and took 23rd place out of a couple hundred teams.

my game is "ball in hand" not sure if its very popular bar game, but thats what we had to play in pool league instead of the traditional Straight Eight.

i will normaly go to a bar and watch people play pool untill they feel cocky, and then i normaly jump up on the table and ask if they wanna throw a few bucks in, lose a couple times so they feel Really cocky, then throw down a little more cash and start raking it in.

can usualy make some nice cash going to hotels that have pool tables.

MOFO
04-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by FoxRacingAdam

i will normaly go to a bar and watch people play pool untill they feel cocky, and then i normaly jump up on the table and ask if they wanna throw a few bucks in, lose a couple times so they feel Really cocky, then throw down a little more cash and start raking it in.

I can spot you guys a mile away when playing. I'm not sure what it is, but I can usually tell when a guy is playing the tables.

You can tell how the guy holds the stick, takes a shot, how he is playing the game (stragedy)...etc. Its hard to make yourself look like a true beginner without holding onto some of your style. If you have been playing for a LONG time, you'll know what I mean. Sometimes being able to throw a game properly can be as difficult as actually winning the game.

With that said...I never play for money... I think I have played 2-3 times in my life for cash (non tournament) so you'll never get any $$$ out of me... just a good 'ol arse whoppin. :D ;)

BTW, the "ball in hand" 8 ball game you talk about sounds alot like the rules that are used for some tournaments around here. It really changes the game if you are not prepared to play like that. Major changes in stragedy and game play.

insaneracin2003
04-03-2006, 01:01 PM
"Ball in Hand" is played in BCA rules. Yeah stragedy is changed a bit with ball in hand,in most pool halls around here,9-ball or 1 pocket are the choice for gambling. So you dont see much 8-ball with ball in hand unless you are playing in a league.
And Yes,just like MOFO,I can spot a hustle coming.always laying back like a lion waiting to grab the 1st meal of the day...lol....i have lost my fare share of money being hustled,but in turn,i have made my money back ust as fast.....

Billiards Cues
04-03-2006, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MOFO
[B]Here's the stick I have.... owned it for over 4 "hard" years of playing pool and it still looks and shoots like new! The only thing I've do to it is replace the tip - I prefer a nice soft elk master.

I can vouch for that,i have a Mcdermott which costs about 250.00 range and a custom cue from a local guy which costs upwards around 1100.00. The custom cue has a narrow butt which breaks down to a jump stick.
Like MOFO says,anyone that says a 300.00 doller cue is not worth it,I will be still shooting with my custom cue and my McDermott LOOONNGGG after you have gone through 3-5 cues,plus you cant match the ballance.

Basically a good cue is worth about $100.00 (if hardwood is used). The inlays and material used increase the price. McDermott is the 'only' manufacturer in the world that offers a 'lifetime' guarantee. This includes warpage. I do agree that you have to be careful about buying a Kmart or local sporting store cue.. they are mostly imports made of softwoods and will warp, crack, bend, dent and basically be useful for checking tires and a nightstick within a year.

(I've only had to edit this three times.. this keyboard cant spell or type worth a damn!)

wilkin250r
04-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Billiards Cues:

We have very strict rules about advertising on this site, even if your products do not conflict with our current site sponsers.

This message board is a place for fellowship and sharing information, usually related to ATVs, but other topics are allowed.

However, this is NOT a place to offer free advertising. If we allowed that, then we would have companies flocking to our site to offer their services, products, and generally flooding the board with posts and advertisements. Our original intent of sharing information would be lost amid the chaos.

As such, I would ask you to edit your posts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very please to have you here to share information about different woods and construction techniques used in premium cues. However, please understand that we cannot allow you to advertise.