PDA

View Full Version : 250ex go faster

redexrider4290
02-26-2005, 12:53 PM
if i put a fmf megamax exhaust k&n air filter and jet kits on my 03 250ex how much power will it give it and wat would my top speed be around (miles per hour) and will i be able to keep up with my freinds stock 300ex or sportsman 600

2muchquad
02-26-2005, 02:30 PM
you could keep up to a stock 300ex,but dont plan on outrunning the 600cc utility.you'll gain more low and mid range torque than say top speed.since your bike is a shaft drive,i say a changein gearing is out the question.Try some taller tires if you seek more top speed,but with a small motor,those tires will be quite a load on it.good luck to ya'

wheeltrax
02-26-2005, 02:56 PM
im not sure about keeping up to the 300. I thought the 250ex was geared lower, and since its shaft drive you cant regear for your mods. Your mods will give it more low-mid, and would also help pull your quad a bit more on top, but its not going to be a whole lot more. Bigger rear tires would increase speed.

redexrider4290
02-26-2005, 02:59 PM
thanks but my freinds 300ex beats the 600 when we race across feilds so wouldn't i beat it to if i keep up with the 300:confused: and if i get taller tires do i have to get both front and rear or just rear or front and what size would be good to adds some speed but still have a good amount of acceleration

redexrider4290
02-26-2005, 03:12 PM
would 23 inch tires be alright how much difference would they make and if i put them on would the power be more like stock then whith the mods

so im not going to hit 60:(

Hon300ex
02-26-2005, 03:20 PM
bigger tires in the rear would make it go a little fast but i dont thinik u can outrun the 300 idk.

redexrider4290
02-26-2005, 04:32 PM
i dont really mind if i dont beat him i just want to keep up with him really close but beating him would be nice haha

i think i have a better chance beating my freind on his 600 though because the races we race are a lot who gets the holeshot ha listen to me talking like its a major mx race but we race on fields and we go fith gear full throttle but i dont hit that high of rpms so would it be better to jsut use the stock size tires because i think if i can pull ahead of the start i can hold it a little and i do a lot of jumping and i need the acceleration

redexrider4290
02-26-2005, 04:41 PM
does anyone know of any headers that could fit on the megamax or any full sistems that have the same charectoristics as the megamax like the sound tuning for pretty cheap

how much of a difference does a header make

redexrider4290
02-26-2005, 04:45 PM
does anyone know any way i can get my 250 to get 60 answers will be greatly appreciated

2muchquad
02-26-2005, 05:06 PM
if you want to hit 60mph,i would put it in the back of your buddys truck,make sure you use tie downs ,you dont want your 250ex falling out at 60mph...lol:D seriously without spending beaucoup money it would be hard to get that kind of performance from your scoot.there may be a cam and higher compression piston to be had but nothing to"drop in" and get you the performance your looking for

RideRed250ex
02-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Not trying to be mean or dis the quad, well cause I own one and I really like it besides its kinda slow. But if you are wanting a quad that will take you 60 MPH (W/O being in the back of a truck) then you bought the wrong quad. These quads are meant for begginers and people who ride casually for trails. They are not meant to be tuned up and able to make them go fast. If your kinda stuck with this bike Like I have been for the past 3 years, save up and Get a little engine work done. maybe like .40 over, port & polish, & carb work. Then you will get to still around 55 maybe alittle more, but you will get there fast. Otherwise try to sell it and buy something that will go 60 like the 300ex.

wheeltrax
02-27-2005, 11:04 AM
I have ran into that situation where i am expecting more out of a quad that wasnt built for it. It started off with a bayou 220, i wanted to stick money into that to make it go faster then i realized im trying to make something better that wasnt meant to be. So i sold that and bought a 250x. That was so much better, i stuck a bit of money into that, then i came to my conclusion i might as well sell that and buy a 400ex because there is more to work with. Now im not made of cash, and i understand that its not as easy to just say, im buying a new quad, or at least for me its not that easy. But in my opinion, i would save the money your going to put into it trying to make it something its never going to be, and put that money into a quad thats going to better meet your expectations. Im not trying to dis you or your quad either, but this is what was told to me when i watned to mod the bayou. IM glad i didnt :)

hondardr4life
02-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the megamax. Get an HMF full system. The megamax isn't worth the money, trust me. I believe that they make a big bore kit for the 250ex. I think powerroll makes it, do a search and you may find something. I also think there was someone on here with a 250ex who got his re-geared his, and he said it would do 60.

redexrider4290
02-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the answers but im stuck with this bike i wanted a new one a long time ago but i dont have the icome or money and my parents got me the only thing they could afford, and im grateful for them doing that, so there is no way i could get a 6 thousand doller quad

i would like a full system but i cant get a pipe that is loud because i have to keep my quad at my freind's house cuz i dont have a yard or any where to ride it and his parents said if i get a pipe that is loud i cant keep it there so im gona get the megamax because its adjustable i did see a supertrapp and i heard it was adjustable to
does anyone know whitch is better the megamax or supertrapp

BLAZE1
02-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
"someone on here with a 250ex who got his re-geared"

Aren't they shaft drive??

That would be awesome if you could have a tapedered shaft like smaller in the front and larger in the back like sprokets, but I don't think you can!
Anyway, good luck w/ your quad and just start saving for the quad you really want!

hondardr4life
02-28-2005, 12:03 PM
He said he took it to a shop an dhad them do something with the gears.:confused: :confused:

BLAZE1
02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I see!
I was a little confused:D

atvracr350
02-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Look man if anybody knows how tight money can get i do. I cut grass for 2 years not spending hardly anything to upgrade to a 400ex from a crapped out 3 wheeler so seriously if i was you i would save the money, sell your fourwheeler and get what you can and buy a used 400. You don't have to buy a 6000 dollar quad. Im not telling you to buy mine because i already have someone buying it but i have a 400ex im selling with the mods listed below for 3800. So believe me if you put your mind to it you can get a fast fourwheeler for not that much work on your part. Just my 2 cents.

Rootar
03-01-2005, 07:53 AM
yea man you can get a great used 300 or 400 for $2300-$2800 range i picked my 400 up for 2700 then added all the stuff thats n my sig but yea man you can do it trust me i was in your exact shoes except i traded my 250 for my brothers recon then sold it during hunting season for like 2500 then only had to pay 200 to get my 400 but yea you can do it just keep and eye in the paper for 400s and 300s go and check them out and if you find a good one get it

frosti108
03-01-2005, 11:58 AM
that would be cool if you could change out the rear like a car.

my friends camaro had 3.23s in the rear and got it changed to 3.73s for less top speed and more power

redexrider4290
03-01-2005, 05:18 PM
thanks you guys for the info i called the guy at the shop today and he said it would be like 300 bucks for him to boar out my 250 and i dont think i want to put that kinda money in it i would like a 400 but i want somethin wit hreverse and a 300 would be cool but 2 of my freinds i ride with already have one so idk i have to talk to my parents about sellin my bike since they got it for me and it is in my stepdads name but he did get it for me for a gift

well i had a suzuki 230 my dad got me but he was selling drugs and he went to prison then come to find out he never paid for my four wheeler and he gave it to me and my little sister as a shared christmas present well i quess my parents felt bad and my step dad got me my 250 and i am greatful for him doing that and i feel like im smacking them in the face when i say i want to sell it and get a faster one cuz they did get me all they could afford i offer to pay for my new quad but i dont have the money and they want me to save up to get a car so idk have to do some thinking

exrider7510
03-04-2005, 10:45 PM
man thats cool u got a 250 i had an 01 with a white bros e series slip on dyon jet stge 2 and k'n filter and some 22in bandit tires. It did about 56 flat out on a road next to a motorcycle. I just got rid of taht for a kfx. Some advice save ur money and sell that thing and put it towards a used 400ex if ur looking for 60... good luck

redexrider4290
03-05-2005, 06:04 PM
my step brother drove me to the cycle shop today because he was lookin into buying a four wheeler and he doesn't knw to much about them he said he was looking a t a z400 with some skid plates and a little bit of acceseries and the place was sellin it for about 7000 so me and him went to this othe rplac eand we looked at a yfz 450r and 04 400ex and 05 400ex he said he like the yfz and the 450r because he likes going fast but i told him that if he rides with me and my freinds he doesnt need that kind of bike and it really isn't made for the riding we do so he looked at the 04 400 but i told him something with reverse would be nice and he agrred so he thinks he wants the 05 400ex but he still has to do some talking to his parents because he lives in the city and he'd have to haul it places to ride

well anyway today when we were looking at those bikes i really thought about trying to get a used 400ex but my parents always say they are against it because they say usually they are rode reall hard and have been through a lot so i was wandering is ther ayway to tell if the engine is still good on a used 400 like if it still has some years left in it to run good

300ex13
03-05-2005, 08:56 PM
if u are worried about top speed...dont be...IMO u would want like 20's on it and beat them in the trails where it would give u an advantage over your buddies (especially the 600)

redexrider4290
03-14-2005, 04:51 PM
thanks but i dont want any smaller tires i dont need more speed in the trails i already beat all of my freinds in the trails as it is

and i havn't got the exhaust yet but me and my freind with the 300 raced and he beat me 2wice but i was right with him the hole time and the 3rd time i bea him bet i thing it was because something is wrong with his back axle and swingarm