PDA

View Full Version : 2005 GNC Round #2 - Lake Whitney - Live Coverage

Admin
02-25-2005, 07:10 PM
The 2nd Round of the GNC Series heads East to Whitney, TX just south west of Dallas. The Lake Whitney MX facility has everything a racer needs with over 150 RV hookups and plenty of parking. Also, they provide bathrooms and showers for men and women, which is an added bonus for those without motorhomes.

The track layout is flat along the river with some high speed section broken up by some 90 degree sweeping turns with a few doubles and tables tops, but as the track moves away from the river it goes up and down a hill in two sections that provide for some change in elevation.

The track soil is nothing like what the riders faced at Glen Helen with its sand. The soil at Lake Whitney is rich and contains river clay which allows it to pack up hard. Unfortunately, just like three weeks ago in California, the Texas area has received several inches of rain this week, and the track was extremely muddy today. The two hill sections of the track were closed and were being prepped, but it is uncertain if they will be part of the track this weekend, and if they are utilized at all, it may be just for the Pro and Pro Am Motos.

Practice today was scheduled to start at 10AM, but with the wet conditions and unofficially around 500 riders signing up for the event, practice didn’t start till 11AM. The skies remained overcast and the temps barely made it into the 50’s. as the riders headed out on to the track for practice, and the riders coming off the track were covered in mud, so many of the riders opted not to practice early in the day.

The word from the Misti M Hues is that the track is extremely rough with not one smooth section. It could be described as a washboard and the mud has turned it into a one line track, and with over an inch of rain forecasted for tomorrow throughout the day, it doesn’t sound like the track condition will improve much. The weather is looking better for Sunday with Sunday Skies and temps near 60.

Through out the weekend ATVriders.com will be bringing its members updated results from the Motos and Live “lap by lap” coverage from the Pro Motos on Sunday, so keep checking back for updates, and if you enjoy this coverage let us know.

mxdad
02-26-2005, 06:06 AM
Can you keep an eye on the 50cc quads and let us know how it goes? Lots of drama in that class in Cali. If you could post those results it would be great!!!

Admin
02-26-2005, 11:30 AM
It has been raining all morning and the track has turned into a mudbog with many riders tossing their goggles. The rain is expected to continue throughout the day, so it looks like a muddy day of racing. The Pro Class will have qualifiers with 21 Pro Riders signed up and almost 600 riders have signed up this weekend even with the bad weather, which is the third largest GNC signup ever.

Vet Div 1
1. James Black
2. Brian Gill
3. John Angle

Vet Div 2
1. Richard Slaton
2. Michael Fox
3. Jaise Ruiz

90 Prod Junior 8-11 Div 1
1. Kelsy cyer
2. Johnath dickey
3. Riley Holt

90 Prod Junior 8-11 Div 2
1. Aaron Beer
2. Cody Gibson
3. Colby J Brake

Pro Am Production 1
1. 21 Mark A Kendall
2. 49x Sage Baker
3. 714 Josh Williams
4. 215 Thomas hager
5. 52 Chad Wienmen
6. 311 Jesse Seaffer

1. 751 Trent Kandal
2. 90 Hunter Miller
3. 815 Bobby Ross
4. 101 Rocco Arno Jr
5. 79 ArClay Homes
6. Jared Fitch

1. 161 Jeremey Lawson
2. 30 Travis Spader
3. 207 David Frye
4. 7 Brandon Stout
5. 727 Cali Bownen
6. 5 Chad Lohr

50 cc Limited
The kids had a time with the track and were sliding down the hills and could barely even go around the track.

1. 192 Tyler Edmondson
2. 8 Todd Babber
3. 4 Austin Stevens

90cc Modified
1. 88 Joel Heterick
2. 41 Ethan Straney
3. 28 Jeffery Rasterelli

Women’s A
Heather Byrd and Angela Moore pulled away from everyone in the mud

1. Heather Byrd
2. Angela Moore
3. Shannon Frisen
4. Michell Reiser

Women’s B/C

1. Jamie Luburgh
2. Kristina Watson
3. Shade Warren
4. Leslie Ragon

70cc Modified
1. Jesse Skaverek
2. Lake Kuba
3. Brandon Boswell

Admin
02-26-2005, 02:14 PM
The track conditions continue to deteriorate and many riders are literally getting stuck on the track and the wants that don’t get stuck, the scorers are having difficulty determine which rider is which because of the amount on mud covering the vehicles. They have made it mandatory that all vehicles must have front and rear number plates and they still can’t read the numbers as the riders come through the finish line.

Now the 70cc Production class has been pulled off the line because the track has become almost impassable and atleast 7 classes including A, B, and C motos have been cancelled for today because of the horrible conditions, and tomorrow lineup will be randomly determined by a computer.

Production C will be lining up for only a two lap moto followed by a 10 minute plus 1 lap Pro Qualifier to narrow the Pro field down to 20 riders and the way things are looking, it may be more important to avoid getting stuck to advance.

More Results are in from earlier races:

90 Production Senior 12-15
1. Zachary Strong
2. Janen Dovich
3. Christy Laurine

265A Div 1
1. J Balsiger
2. Michael Brown
3. Kevin Kerrn
265A Div 2
1. Mike Willm
2. Mitch Reynolds
3. Cody Grant

265C Div 1
1. Jenson Roberts
2. Clay Lachowsky
3. Chris Calvert

1. Johnathon Boutwell
2. Jathan Mcallister
3. David Chambers

Pro Am Unlimited Div 1
The conditions were so bad in Div 1 that Skyler Stewart, Jerermy Lawson, and Hunter Miller couldn’t even finish the moto from getting stuck.
1. Chad Lohr
2. Aaron Ressig
3. Josh Williams
4. Mark Kendall
5. Rocco Arno Jr

Pro Am Unlimited Div 2

1. Josh Upperman
2. Jesse Sheaffer
3. Derick Fesmire
4. Tommy Tanllo
5. Jeffery Thomas

265 B Div 1
1. Ryan Sowers
2. Joshua Eversole
3. Brandon Tyler

265B Div 2
1. Nathan Canaan
2. Paul Niemiec
3. Kanyan Methrin

Youth Production 13-15 Div1

1. Coltin Moore
2. Dirk Davis
3. Shawn Wiebelt

Youth Production 13-15 Div2
1. Chris Maumay
2. Garrett Hellmic
3. Matt Bremer
4. Josh Juneau

Prod C Div 1
1. Travis Moore
2. Justin Jefferson
3. Jorge Ruiz

Prod C Div 2
1. Dan Teague
2. Gordon Hurn
3. Steven Towsend

Prod C Div 3
1. Cody Gayer
2. Dallas Albrecht
3. Josh Irwin

Prod B Div 1
1. Klye Hess
2. Chris Riley
3. Russell Shoemaker

Prod B Div 2
1. Ryan Sowers
2. Jerry Valentine
3. Josh Jarland

Pro Qualifier
1. Keith Little
2. Tavis Cain
3. Harold Goodman
4. Gilbert Attix
5. Jason Dunkelberger
6. Donald Lysinger
7. Greg Meeks
8. Jason Luburgh

Pat Brown, Giovanni Colon, and Joe Havisto were forced to go to an LCQ because they didn’t finish one lap in Pro Qualifier. In the LCQ, Pat Brown got only made it a few hundred feet into the race, so Giovanni Colon and Joe Havisto took the last two spots in the main.

Prod A
Div 1
1. Rob Arnold
2. Jacob Schroeder
3. Ben Horgan

Div 2
1. Matt Contris
2. Abraham Strany
3. Cody Miller

Admin
02-27-2005, 09:48 AM
They have been working on the track since 5AM this morning and the sun has finally come out. The track crew has been trying to remove the top layer of mud to reveal some drier ground below, which will hopefully provide better conditions than yesterday.

Many people have decided to leave already, and the races will be cut down to two or three laps to get them all completed. They are running behind this morning running the LCQ races to determine the final gate positions for the 2nd Moto.

Updates will continue throughout day.

Admin
02-27-2005, 12:19 PM
The Pro Race is about to begin as the Pros come in from the Parade lap. The Racer Production crew has been working hard on the track all day removing the top layer of dirt.

Admin
02-27-2005, 12:23 PM
The riders are covering the front of their machines with Duct tape to try to keep the mud from clogging their radiators.

Admin
02-27-2005, 12:29 PM
The track officials are adding a new section to the track and they need to prep the section before race will begin in a few minutes.

Admin
02-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Keith Little grabs the Holeshot with Jason Luburgh and Jeremiah Jones in chase.

Admin
02-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Keith Little continues to lead and begins to pull away from Luburgh and Jones. Jeremiah Jones makes the pass on Jason Luburgh to take over 2nd Place.

White Flag

12Keith Little
2 Jeremiah
8 Jason Luburgh
191 Dustin Wimmer
4 Tim Farr
30 Travis Spader
13 John Natalie Jr
55 Doug Gust

Admin
02-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Keith Little takes the Checkered Flag with Jeremiah Jones finishing in 2nd Place with Jason Luburgh in 3rd.

Admin
02-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Keith Little lead the entire race and pulled to around a 8 second lead over 2nd Place Jeremiah Jones. Jeremiah had Jason Luburgh battle him for the 2nd spot most of the race,and Jones was able make the pass with three laps to go and take over 2nd Place with Luburgh dropping back to 2nd Place. Around five seconds behind them was Dustin Wiimmer and Tim Farr battling for the 4th Place.

1. Keith Little
2. Jeremiah Jones
3. Jason Luburgh
4. Dustin Wimmer
5. Tim Farr
6. John Natalie Jr
7. Travis Spader
8. Doug Gust
9. Jason Dunkelberger
10. Kory Ellis
11. Tavis Cain
12. Harold Goodman
13. Joe Byrd
14. Gilbert Attix
15. Dustin Nelson
16. Joe Havisto
17. Greg Meeks
18. Giovani Colon
19. Matt White
20. Donald Lysinger DNF

Admin
02-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Moto #2

Keith Little grabs the Holeshot again with Kory Ellis in 2nd Place with him all over Keith, and Doug Gust is in third place. Followed by #8 Jason Luburgh , #13 John Natalie Jr, #4 Tim Farr, #75 Joe Havisto, and #19 Jason Dunkelberger

Jeremiah Jones wrecks on the start and his quad flips across the track causing a pileup which claimed Donald Lysinger, Travis Spader, Dustin Wimmer, and several other riders.

Admin
02-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Keith Little continues to lead with Kory Ellis right behind him.

Admin
02-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Joe Byrd seems to be experiencing Mechanical Problems, but he remains in the race.

1.Keith Little
2. Kory Ellis
3. Natalie Jr

Admin
02-27-2005, 03:25 PM
The top six riders all running within tires of each other.

12 Keith Little
53 Kory Ellis
13 John Natalie Jr
55 Doug Gust
8 Jason Luburgh
4 Tim Farr

Admin
02-27-2005, 03:26 PM
#107 Givona Colon's 450R is Smoking

Admin
02-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Keith Little remains in the lead and Natalie Jr just passed Ellis to take over 2nd Place with Gust in 4th. Luburgh is in 5th and Tim Farr is trying to make the pass

Admin
02-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Two of the leaders just wrecked :eek:

Admin
02-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Keith Little continues to lead with #55 Doug Gust taking over the 2nd spot followed by Luburgh, and Farr.

Kory Ellis and John Natalie Jr hooked up in the whoops and wrecked.

Admin
02-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Top finishers in the 2nd Moto came through the checkered flag all together with one really close race.

Jeremiah Jones made an incredible come back after getting hung up on the start to finish in 6th and beat out Tim Farr for the Podium.

Moto 2 Finishing Order
1. Keith Little
2. Doug Gust
3. Jason Luburgh
4. Tim Farr
5. Jason Dunkelberger
6. Jeremiah Jones
7. Joe Havisto
8. Matt White
9. Dustin Nelson
10. Joe Byrd
11. Kory Ellis
12. Giovanni Colon
13. Greg Meeks
14. Travis Spader
15. John Natalie Jr
16. Donald Lysinger
17. Dustin Wimmer
18. Gilbert Attix
19. Harold Goodman
20. Tavis Cain

Overall Finish
1. Keith Little
2. Jason Luburgh
3. Jeremiah Jones
4. Tim Farr
5. Doug Gust
6. Jason Dunkelberger
7. Kory Ellis
8. Travis Spader
9. John Natalie Jr
10. Dustin Wimmer
11. Joe Havisto
12. Joe Byrd
13. Dustin Nelson
14. Matt White
15. Giovanni Colon
16. Greg Meeks
17. Harold Goodman
18. Tavis Cain
19. Gilbert Attix
20. Donald Lysinger

Admin
02-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Keith Little's Description of the this weekend's racing action

“I won the qualifier yesterday in the mud, and today I got the 12th gate pick, but I was still able to pull the holeshot with my Curtis Sparks engine and I held a comfortable lead the entire moto and took the win."

"The 2nd Moto, I got down to the gate late and received the 3rd gate choice, and I once again was able to put my Lonestar Racing YFZ out front, but I wasn’t able to pull away. I was pressured the entire moto, and Doug Gust almost was able to get past me on the last lap when I was held up by a lapper and Doug was able to double the jump. I held the inside and was able to keep the lead and take the Checkered flag with Doug Gust right behind me."

Thanks Keith Little for taking time to share your story on back to back Moto Wins:macho

Admin
02-27-2005, 04:52 PM
I just spoke with Jeremiah Jones about the 1st and 2nd Motos

1st Moto
“I almost had the Holeshot in the 1st Moto, and I misshifted the quad and had to upshift real fast which lost all my momentum and dropped back to 2nd place coming out of the 1st turn, and I went wide on the 2nd turn and Jason Luburgh was able to get on my inside and take over the 2nd spot. I followed Luburgh forever and I finally got momentum to around him with three laps to go. I started catching back up to Keith Little, but I ran out of time and finished in 2nd Place.”

2nd Moto
“I flipped on the start of the 2nd moto and took everybody out and got back on my quad and just started charging, and I got all my momemtum going forward for me and I never let out of the throttle the entire moto. I was passing guys everywhere and I was able to get around them in spots that I didn’t think would be possible and it turned out pretty good for me as I caught all the way up to finish in 6th Place.”

Thanks for your Time Jeremiah Jones and congrats on your 3rd Overall Finish :D

Admin
02-27-2005, 05:48 PM
The Pro results remained unchanged.

Overall Results

Vet
1. Jorge Ruiz
2. Brian Gills
3. Michael Fox
4. Lane Coile
5. John Angel

90 Production 8-11
1. Cody Gibson
2. Colby Brake
3. Kelsey Dyer
4. Dallas Tapscott
5. Tlyer Webster

Pro Am Production
1. Mark Kendall
2. Josh Williams
3. Sage Baker
4. Cale Bownen
5. Rocco Arno Jr

50cc Limited 4-8
1. Tyler Edmondson
2. Todd Baber
3. Jeremy Ledonne
4. Austin Stevens
5. Jerrod Hancock

90cc Modified 8-15
1. Joel Hetrick
2. Jefferey R.
3. Ethan Strainy
4. Shane Fimkins
5. Brittany Dyer

Women’s A
1. Heather Byrd
2. Angela Moore
3. Michelle Reiser
4. Shannon Freezen
5. Alex
6. Jamie Rentz

Women’s B
1. Leslie Ragon
2. Christa Watson
3. Jamie Luburgh
4. Misty Hughes
5. Cindi Hart

70cc Modified
1. Lake K.
2. Lee R
3. Jesse S.
4. Brandon B
5. Klyer S.

90 Production Senior
1. Zachary S.
2. Max P.
3. Tracey Y.
4. Terrel E.
5. Janon D.

265A
1. Jack B
2. Mitch R.
3. Cody G.
4. Michael B.
5. Brad S.

70cc Production
1. Rhett T.
2. Todd B
3. David B.
4. Chase H.
5. Riley H.

Pro Am Unlimited
1. Josh W.
2. Bryan C.
3. Rocco A.
4. Mark K.
5. Jesse S.

265 B
1. Brandon T.
2. Ryan S.
3. Brandon R.
4. Joshua E.
5. Nathan C.

Youth Production 13-15
1. Garrett H.
2. Eddie E.
3. Matt B
4. Colten M.
5. Evan K.

Prod C
1. Travis M.
2. jorge R.
3. Justin J.
4. Gordon H.
5. Dan T.

Prod B
1. Russell S.
2. Ryan S.
3. Aaron M.
4. Hunter J.
5. Klye H.

Prod A
1. Dustin H.
2. Nate S.
3. Daryn C.
4. Rob A.
5. Mike W.

Open C
1. Jorel B.
2. James F.
3. Clinton M.
4. Dustin H.
5. Donald M.

Open B
1. Branden T.
2. Dexter T.
3. Charles M.
4. Lance S.
5. larry H.

Open A
1. Dane H.
2. Aaron R.
3. Angela M.
4. Richard C.
5. Wesley H.

4 stk C
1. Dennis C.
2. Steven T.
3. Ernie M.
4. Clay L.
5. Jenson R.

4stk B
1. Aaron M.
2. Thomas F.
3. Josh G.
4. Josh. M
5. Tom N.

4stk A
1. Cale D.
2. Jake B.
3. Rob A.
4. Jacob S.
5. Cody G.

Beginner Open
1. James M.
2. Paul M.
3. Clifford H.
4. Shane K.
5. Todd M.

16-24 Class
1. Darren C.
2. Jacob S.
3. Brandon R.
4. Michael B.
5. Abraham S.

25 Plus
1. Dane H.
2. Jorel B.
3. James B
4. Josh B.
5. Chad B.

Admin
02-27-2005, 06:38 PM
2nd Moto Race Report.

Keith Little grabbed the holeshot again in the 2nd Moto followed by Ellis, Gust, Natalie Jr, Luburgh, and Farr, and Jeremiah Jones wrecked off the start and atleast 6 riders got caught up in the wreck including Travis Spader, Dustin Wimmer, Donald Lysinger, and several other riders. Dustin Wimmer pulled over for his mechanic to work on his quad.

The top six ran together in a tight pack with John Natalie Jr working his way past both Gust and Ellis to take over the 2nd Spot behind Little half way through the race. Then, entering a rhythm Section, Little went in hot and bobbled, so both Natalie Jr and Ellis went to make the pass, but Natalie Jr got crossed and Ellis had no where to go except into the rear of Natlalie, which caused them to get tangled up. Doug Gust moved up to 2nd Place with Luburgh and Farr is chase as Ellis and Natalie tried to separate their machines.

Meanwhile, Jeremiah Jones started making his charge from the back and was passing rider after rider as he worked his way into the top 10. Ellis and Natalie finally broke free and Ellis was able to get going before Little came through, but Natalie ended up being lapped by Little before returning to the race.

Doug Gust started putting the pressure on Little and almost made the pass when Little got held up by a lapped rider which allowed Gust to clear the double, but Little was able to hold the inside line and maintain the lead. Jeremiah Jones made the pass on Joe Havisto and moved up to 6th Place behind Jason Dunkelberger which put him in the final podium spot.

Little went on the win his 1st GNC Motorcoss Overall and Jason Luburgh finished in 2nd place Overall for his 1st Podium finish. Jeremiah Jones impressive charge to the front caught everyone off guard even Jeremiah Jones. Tim Farr initially told he had third overall and went up on the Podium and Jones returned to his pits. A minute later, the mistake was realized and Jones was called to the podium to take the final podium spot.

Once it was time for the champagne celebration, the experienced Jeremiah Jones quickly popped his bottle of champagne, but Little and Luburgh were slow to get theirs open and Jones sprayed them down.

After a horrible day of racing on Saturday, the sun came out for Sunday and the racing action was incredible.

The complete race report with photos will be posted by Tuesday, and I hope you enjoyed the coverage.

MXRACER86
02-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Where are the pictures?????:huh

hardkoratvmxr
02-27-2005, 07:13 PM
^^ yea but harlen i love they way u find way to keep up with all the races

Admin
02-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by MXRACER86
Where are the pictures?????:huh

Some photos may be up tonight, but atleast by tomorrow.

MadSea862
02-27-2005, 07:52 PM
You do an excellent job...trust me..I've been using your material all day to help others keep up to speed on what was happening. Those of us who didn;t get to travel along this time appreciate it!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Z400central
02-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Ahhh man!!!! Common Natalie!!!!!!!:mad:

Thump_It
02-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Great job Harlen. You show great dedication to this site, which shows why it is growing everyday.

Jeff2269
02-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Im roottin for Natalie too, but he has a lot of work to do.

Quad18star
02-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Harlen ... do you have any news as to whether or not Jasmin Plante will be running the GNC series this season??

Cody_300ex
02-28-2005, 05:40 AM
GO Jason Luburgh!!!! Hell yeah! Looks lik Farr held his own too. Tough luck for natlie. :(

jrdcrf419
02-28-2005, 06:13 AM
hey y cant i get any pics!!!!!!!

balls2da-wall
02-28-2005, 07:14 AM
cause there arent any yet:p

Fibe Industries
02-28-2005, 09:01 AM
Jasmin has a deal with Honda Canada and will be concentrating for the number one plate up here this season!!

Great coverage of the races Harlen

Adam

TheMachine
02-28-2005, 09:18 AM
I'll post a few pics in a day or 2. They're all in the same spot though.

pitmomts
02-28-2005, 10:23 AM
You did a great job with the live coverage, Harlen, especially considering what you had to work with.

I can be longwinded when writing at times :o , so relax and enjoy or skim to the bottom.

As we were preparing to leave for our very first GNC, Harlen sent a message asking us, J and J Racing, to help with additional coverage of the event. He saw we had lots of great photos of various races on our website at jandjracing.com, and he somehow knew we’d worked for local newspapers and such. My mother, Judy Fedd, who is the J and J photographer (and an excellent one at that!), would take photos, as well as my sister, Sheryl Lawson, and whichever one of us was handed the other camera. I agreed to call Harlen with race results and any exciting news throughout the weekend, plus provide live lap by lap coverage of the pro races. Oookay. :eek2:

Harlen quickly realized that I am not a race announcer. :D I don’t even know most of the pros and can only recognize a couple of them in person. And I am not a sports reporter. I am just a mom, a pit mom and aunt.

In case you haven’t noticed, J and J Racing is “a family thing.” My 13-year-old son, Josh Juneau, ran the youth production and my 22-year-old nephew, Justin Lawson (no, it’s not Jeremy Lawson :) ) ran the 265B. As you can learn through the website, we are new to quad racing, really even to sport quads, but considering what it has brought us in the last year or so, it looks like we’re in it. Justin is the originator, so we can thank him, or kick him _ I haven’t decided yet which. It’s scary to see our boys out there, it makes us physically ill and mentally fried, and we’re about in dept up to our yahoo, but they love it. They really love it. And how often do you see a 22-year-old single man and 13-year-old teenage boy spending weekends with their family and enjoying it?! My husband, Gary Stevens, and my dad, Glen Fedd, are the mechanics and sponsors. Even my 83-year-old grandmother helps out! We’re in it together.

We joined the South Texas Quad Racing Association (www.rageatv.com) and found a group of people who are also families similar to ours. A family of families _ STQRA.

So here we are at our first national race. We’ve watched some of them through the way too limited TV and video coverage (we want to see more!), and read about them in the magazines and online, but we are certainly still new.

It was AWESOME to watch these people ride. Those pros and ProAMs_ all of them _ were AMAZINGLY FAST, unbelievable how they could control their quads. Heather Byrd was also awesome, all of those women!! Geez, they could ride! Every class out there, I think 29 races, was filled with incredible competition. Breath-taking! If you haven’t watched a live GNC race, you are certainly missing out!!!!!!!!

The STQRA took at least 30 riders and their families, plus several additional members who went to watch. That’s a lot of riders to cheer and pray for! We cried for those who didn’t make it to the main, and delighted in the victory of those who did so well competing in what was the first national race for many of them. It was an experience for all of us! Their results will be on our website sometime this week, if you want to check it out.

So, as Harlen said, it rain and rained. The track was a mess. They had prepped it, of course, but it was bad. The riders looked like those at the MAXXIS 6 Hour race a couple of weeks before _ no exaggeration. They had lots of trouble scoring. People were complaining. The rain continued, and everyone did their best to get through it. Transmitters, like those used at the 6-Hour, would have been the only way to score a race like this, and who was prepared for a mud race?!

We heard rumors that the race might be canceled, but GNCs don’t cancel. Before daylight Sunday, crews were out working on the track. They did a fantastic job and thankfully the rained ended.

For the pro coverage, Harlen had someone in the tower who would put him on speaker phone, allowing him to hear the announcer and give all of those who couldn’t make the trip to Texas live coverage. He told me to enjoy the race, but keep the phone in case he lost his connection. I was relieved. I couldn’t see a lot of the race, and what I could see I had a hard time keeping up with. I couldn’t hear the announcer, my radio was messing up, and, as I said, I don’t even know the pros. I recognize Natalie (an awesome rider and my son’s idol), because he rode on one of our local tracks, and Tim Farr and a couple of others, and I can place some of the number plates with names, but that’s about it.

Of course, during both motos, when the pro riders left the start Harlen called and said he’d lost his connection to the tower. Yikkes! I did my best, :( but I know he was frustrated _ especially with me screaming into the phone. It was hard to control the excitement! In the last moto, as a tight group of pros were crossing the finish line, my phone buzzed. I don’t know how long Harlen was disconnected, but when I looked down to connect it, they crossed the line. Who finished first? Second? Third? Oh, geez!

I am glad that’s over! We made it home safe, exhausted, broke, and a little wiser.

We will have some photos for you asap. We got more than 2,000 shots, so there should be some good ones. As I’m typing, I just got the photos on CDs, so I’ll post some as soon as I can look through ‘em and get ‘em ready. I know Harlen had another photographer out there, so you should be seeing some primo photo coverage of this event. _ Terri

QuadRacer041
02-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by pitmomts
You did a great job with the live coverage, Harlen, especially considering what you had to work with.

I can be longwinded when writing at times :o , so relax and enjoy or skim to the bottom.

As we were preparing to leave for our very first GNC, Harlen sent a message asking us, J and J Racing, to help with additional coverage of the event. He saw we had lots of great photos of various races on our website at jandjracing.com, and he somehow knew we’d worked for local newspapers and such. My mother, Judy Fedd, who is the J and J photographer (and an excellent one at that!), would take photos, as well as my sister, Sheryl Lawson, and whichever one of us was handed the other camera. I agreed to call Harlen with race results and any exciting news throughout the weekend, plus provide live lap by lap coverage of the pro races. Oookay. :eek2:

Harlen quickly realized that I am not a race announcer. :D I don’t even know most of the pros and can only recognize a couple of them in person. And I am not a sports reporter. I am just a mom, a pit mom and aunt.

In case you haven’t noticed, J and J Racing is “a family thing.” My 13-year-old son, Josh Juneau, ran the youth production and my 22-year-old nephew, Justin Lawson (no, it’s not Jeremy Lawson :) ) ran the 265B. As you can learn through the website, we are new to quad racing, really even to sport quads, but considering what it has brought us in the last year or so, it looks like we’re in it. Justin is the originator, so we can thank him, or kick him _ I haven’t decided yet which. It’s scary to see our boys out there, it makes us physically ill and mentally fried, and we’re about in dept up to our yahoo, but they love it. They really love it. And how often do you see a 22-year-old single man and 13-year-old teenage boy spending weekends with their family and enjoying it?! My husband, Gary Stevens, and my dad, Glen Fedd, are the mechanics and sponsors. Even my 83-year-old grandmother helps out! We’re in it together.

We joined the South Texas Quad Racing Association (www.rageatv.com) and found a group of people who are also families similar to ours. A family of families _ STQRA.

So here we are at our first national race. We’ve watched some of them through the way too limited TV and video coverage (we want to see more!), and read about them in the magazines and online, but we are certainly still new.

It was AWESOME to watch these people ride. Those pros and ProAMs_ all of them _ were AMAZINGLY FAST, unbelievable how they could control their quads. Heather Byrd was also awesome, all of those women!! Geez, they could ride! Every class out there, I think 29 races, was filled with incredible competition. Breath-taking! If you haven’t watched a live GNC race, you are certainly missing out!!!!!!!!

The STQRA took at least 30 riders and their families, plus several additional members who went to watch. That’s a lot of riders to cheer and pray for! We cried for those who didn’t make it to the main, and delighted in the victory of those who did so well competing in what was the first national race for many of them. It was an experience for all of us! Their results will be on our website sometime this week, if you want to check it out.

So, as Harlen said, it rain and rained. The track was a mess. They had prepped it, of course, but it was bad. The riders looked like those at the MAXXIS 6 Hour race a couple of weeks before _ no exaggeration. They had lots of trouble scoring. People were complaining. The rain continued, and everyone did their best to get through it. Transmitters, like those used at the 6-Hour, would have been the only way to score a race like this, and who was prepared for a mud race?!

We heard rumors that the race might be canceled, but GNCs don’t cancel. Before daylight Sunday, crews were out working on the track. They did a fantastic job and thankfully the rained ended.

For the pro coverage, Harlen had someone in the tower who would put him on speaker phone, allowing him to hear the announcer and give all of those who couldn’t make the trip to Texas live coverage. He told me to enjoy the race, but keep the phone in case he lost his connection. I was relieved. I couldn’t see a lot of the race, and what I could see I had a hard time keeping up with. I couldn’t hear the announcer, my radio was messing up, and, as I said, I don’t even know the pros. I recognize Natalie (an awesome rider and my son’s idol), because he rode on one of our local tracks, and Tim Farr and a couple of others, and I can place some of the number plates with names, but that’s about it.

Of course, during both motos, when the pro riders left the start Harlen called and said he’d lost his connection to the tower. Yikkes! I did my best, :( but I know he was frustrated _ especially with me screaming into the phone. It was hard to control the excitement! In the last moto, as a tight group of pros were crossing the finish line, my phone buzzed. I don’t know how long Harlen was disconnected, but when I looked down to connect it, they crossed the line. Who finished first? Second? Third? Oh, geez!

I am glad that’s over! We made it home safe, exhausted, broke, and a little wiser.

We will have some photos for you asap. We got more than 2,000 shots, so there should be some good ones. As I’m typing, I just got the photos on CDs, so I’ll post some as soon as I can look through ‘em and get ‘em ready. I know Harlen had another photographer out there, so you should be seeing some primo photo coverage of this event. _ Terri

thanks for sharing your story, its good to see families stick together like that. i hope when my daighter is older we are doing the same thing.
you should be proud of the coverage, there isnt a website around that has coverage better then atvriders.com.everyone comes HERE to get the most update coverage.
good job.

Quad18star
02-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Fibe Industries
Jasmin has a deal with Honda Canada and will be concentrating for the number one plate up here this season!!

Great coverage of the races Harlen

Adam

Thanks for the heads up with whats going on with Jasmin . Well I guess we know who's going to win the #1 plate up here this season . :p

Adam .... are you going to Cochrane this year?? If so I'll more than likely see you there . Might see you at a few other nationals or regional races .... I'll be watching ... not racing !!!

02-28-2005, 11:55 AM
That is awesome coverage, you really have the best coverage there is on the net. Congrats Keith Little!:devil:

Admin
02-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks Terri for all your help, and I couldn't have done it without you :D.

MXRACER86
02-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Hey Harlen I thought you said there was going to be pictures posted today?????:(

ProAmmxer428
02-28-2005, 12:50 PM
lets go with the photos

Freestylemxr
02-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by ProAmmxer428
lets go with the photos

settle down, he has done us great coverage and i'm sure it won't kill us to wait a day, expecially since he has traveled all the way to texas just to give us a race report. Cut the guy some slack

Craig02
02-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Yep, Harlen done a great job. Lap by lap updates, this is the only place where you will find that. Thanks Harlen, and please keep up the good work.

lobomx250r
02-28-2005, 01:10 PM
To get off topic for a second..... I heard from a track owner near where I live that there is no production class for 2005. He said that the ama got rid of it. I don't know if that goes for all tracks , or only ama sanctioned ones, but if anyone has heard anything about this let me know.
thanks

FourFiftyFour
02-28-2005, 01:12 PM
The weekend had a lot of ups and downs for me. I was keeping my cannondale in the J and J Racing pits, right behind the Team Suzuki rig.

In practice on Friday, the track was so rough it was a bit intimidating b/c I have never been on a track that beat me up like that. My quad ran strong, but I did not feel to confident.

Saturday morning's practice went a lot better, I felt more at home on the track and was a lot smoother out there. I was feeling a lot better about racing after the saturday morning practice. When we were waiting in the pits, it started raining quite a bit.... the track got sloppier and sloppier. I have not ever had to ride or race on muddy tracks, b/c locally the tracks will just cancel the race or practice, so I was definitely in for a learning experience. When we took off from the gates, I slid a little sideways (Kenda Klaws dont like the mud..lol) and then lost a lot of traction and got a full blast of muddy roost. I then took both hands off the quad in the middle of the straight away and took off my goggles (no tear offs or anything) and then pinned it trying to catch up with everyone. I ended up in 8th out of 17 the first moto. Everytime I would try to pass or pick up speed, my helmet visor would go down in front of my eyes and I had to lift the helmet up either by holding my head way back or shrugging my shoulders a lot. It was pretty much, who got good traction and who didnt get stuck..lol

Sunday's moto started out great, I was in 4th place in the holeshot, and was right behind the top 3 riders, I felt like I was going to run strong. Then all of a sudden the quad lurched and died :confused: it would not start for over a minute straight... I had no idea what went on. Finally the quad started back up and I finished another lap feeling completely frustrated bc of the bad luck I had gotten and wondering what made my quad do that. I came to find out that I was hit from the back and it creased my silencer shut and made the engine die out. What are the odds of that? oh well its racing... I will get pics of the silencer when I get back home.

TheMachine
02-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
The weekend had a lot of ups and downs for me. I was keeping my cannondale in the J and J Racing pits, right behind the Team Suzuki rig.

In practice on Friday, the track was so rough it was a bit intimidating b/c I have never been on a track that beat me up like that. My quad ran strong, but I did not feel to confident.

Saturday morning's practice went a lot better, I felt more at home on the track and was a lot smoother out there. I was feeling a lot better about racing after the saturday morning practice. When we were waiting in the pits, it started raining quite a bit.... the track got sloppier and sloppier. I have not ever had to ride or race on muddy tracks, b/c locally the tracks will just cancel the race or practice, so I was definitely in for a learning experience. When we took off from the gates, I slid a little sideways (Kenda Klaws dont like the mud..lol) and then lost a lot of traction and got a full blast of muddy roost. I then took both hands off the quad in the middle of the straight away and took off my goggles (no tear offs or anything) and then pinned it trying to catch up with everyone. I ended up in 8th out of 17 the first moto. Everytime I would try to pass or pick up speed, my helmet visor would go down in front of my eyes and I had to lift the helmet up either by holding my head way back or shrugging my shoulders a lot. It was pretty much, who got good traction and who didnt get stuck..lol

Sunday's moto started out great, I was in 4th place in the holeshot, and was right behind the top 3 riders, I felt like I was going to run strong. Then all of a sudden the quad lurched and died :confused: it would not start for over a minute straight... I had no idea what went on. Finally the quad started back up and I finished another lap feeling completely frustrated bc of the bad luck I had gotten and wondering what made my quad do that. I came to find out that I was hit from the back and it creased my silencer shut and made the engine die out. What are the odds of that? oh well its racing... I will get pics of the silencer when I get back home.
I saw you there. Sometimes things just dont go right, but you still did good.

quadchick3
02-28-2005, 03:17 PM
With the exception from saturdays mud fest, i had a blast this weekend. Saturday was intense like everyone said, i had the same helmet problems as kara did, kept falling down with all the mud. Sunday was awesome, i would have done better but 2nd lap on the finish line double i went off the edge when going for a pass, came down and hit the fence, costed me 2 positions. :( I ended up with a 9th for the weekend, cant complain. We had 18 girls show up which was awesome!

Other than that we had a great time, track wasnt as 'awesome' as most people were saying, really wish they wouldnt have cut out the part that only the pros ran, and wish it would have been a little wider for some passing.. But hats off to Racer Productions for pulling it together saturday night and getting us great racing on sunday.

MadSea862
02-28-2005, 03:28 PM
To get off topic for a second..... I heard from a track owner near where I live that there is no production class for 2005. He said that the ama got rid of it. I don't know if that goes for all tracks , or only ama sanctioned ones, but if anyone has heard anything about this let me know.

ATVA announces additional new rules for ATV racing for 2005
January 5, 2005 – If you're an ATV racer, or even if you are a fan, there are some rule changes you need to know about for 2005.

There is a change in the Youth Production class: riders won't be able to downsize an engine to compete in this class. For example, you can’t take a Honda 250cc two-stroke and downsize it to 200cc and then race in this class. This "no downsizing" rule only applies to this class.

To allow the 90 Production class to continue to grow, it has been split into two separate classes: Senior, age 12 to 15; and Junior, age 8 to 11.

There are no 90cc production ATVs made with a clutch. They're all full automatics or auto clutch. 90 Senior and Junior will be AUTO classes only.

Another change that will apply to 90 Production and 90 Modified is that four-stroke engines will be allowed a maximum of 125cc, while two-stroke engines will stay at 90cc.

Last year the series offered Pro Am 265 and Pro Am Open. But because of low rider turnout for both classes, the two classes have been combined into one new class: Pro Am Unlimited.

In the past, ATVs with two-stroke engines displacing less than 266cc and four-strokes displacing 451cc weren't allowed to compete in the Pro Am Open class. They are now legal in the Pro Am Open class for 2005. As in years past, single-cylinder motorcycle engines and aftermarket frames are allowed.

Meanwhile, for the last three years the 200cc two-stroke/300cc four-stroke Amateur Production class (age 16 and older) has struggled to field enough entries to justify offering the class. The class won't be offered for 2005.

In another rule change, the definition of Production ATVs has been clarified. Under the rule about stock frames, the AMA Congress has added the following: "Only bolt-on components allowed." The rule that referred to “suspension geometry” has changed a little for clarity also. It now reads: "ATV OEM frames in the stock and production classes may have material added for strength. These changes shall not affect frame geometry." The word suspension has been deleted.

One small change for the Pro class that could be a big influence on keeping ATV racing around for a long time into the future is a 102-decibel sound limit. Pro entries will have to pass the stationary sound test procedures approved by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE J1287), also generically referred to as the 20-inch test since the sound measurement is taken 20 inches from the end of the pipe. This could mean sound limits for others classes in the future.

Another area covered by the new rules is how to handle new racers who want to give “Nationals” a try. At selected events the promoters have the option of offering a Beginners Open class. Not wanting to leave anyone behind, a Consolation Open class has been established for riders who don't qualify for Sunday's final motos.

Trophies will be awarded in the Beginners and Consolation classes but no National Championship points will be granted.

416exmx
02-28-2005, 04:09 PM
I am still washing the mud off my quad. I was one of the last races on saturday and it was NASTY. I thought the track was pretty nice on sunday though. Friday it was a little dry and started to get real rough.

quadchick3
02-28-2005, 04:15 PM
anyone know the website with the pictures they were taking there?? I saw a ton of photographers out there.

I know mxphotography was there, but none of their pics are posted yet.

lobomx250r
02-28-2005, 04:55 PM
thanks for clearin that up for me

www.trickquadfab.com

mountaineer
02-28-2005, 05:07 PM
hey ironman natalie how do you like your honda 450r. You look super fast just like on your yfz:D :D

MXRACER86
02-28-2005, 05:29 PM
I am John Natalie's #1 Fan!!! I will be going to the Florida race and will be rooting for him!!!!!!!:macho :macho

MXRACER86
02-28-2005, 05:36 PM
I wonder if he is ok after that crash he had?????:ermm:

Admin
02-28-2005, 06:59 PM
I wonder if he is ok after that crash he had?????:ermm:

I just spoke with John and he is fine, but disappointed about the outcome of the race. He understands that it is all part of racing and will be heading home to PA for a few days before heading back to Florida by the weekend to begin training for Round #3.

TheMachine
02-28-2005, 07:52 PM
I am John Natalie's #1 Fan!!! I will be going to the Florida race and will be rooting for him!!!!!!!:macho :macho
But you come in a close second to me.:D I'm also a very big Natalie fan. I got his autograph on the back of my Honda shirt and almost squealed like a little girl. :p All the pros were very nice guys. Some of them didn't do so good after moto 1 but still took the time sign some autographs. I thought that was awesome.:macho

MXRACER86
02-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Does Natalie and/or all the other pro's have a autograph session or do you just go up to them???

JandJRacingKFX
02-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by quadchick3
anyone know the website with the pictures they were taking there?? I saw a ton of photographers out there.

I know mxphotography was there, but none of their pics are posted yet.

www.jandjracing.com will have pics up soon. You about killed me with that dead EX at the gate. I think i push-started 3 other quads besides yours at the gate that day. lol I wish i had some good story to tell about whitney but after catching a rut wrong and flipping in practice I was out for the weekend. Tore the bike aprt tonight and realized it wasnt a twisted frame....just a bent spindle and still need to straighten up my stem. Maybe I'll give those guys hell in macon if i can get out there...

quadchick3
03-01-2005, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by JandJRacingKFX
www.jandjracing.com will have pics up soon. You about killed me with that dead EX at the gate. I think i push-started 3 other quads besides yours at the gate that day. lol I wish i had some good story to tell about whitney but after catching a rut wrong and flipping in practice I was out for the weekend. Tore the bike aprt tonight and realized it wasnt a twisted frame....just a bent spindle and still need to straighten up my stem. Maybe I'll give those guys hell in macon if i can get out there...

I about killed you?! did you see me flipping out when you guys were trying to bump start it? I thought everything was over. You saved my weekend! Hopefully it wont happen again. Thanks!

FourFiftyFour
03-01-2005, 06:29 AM
heres a pic of my poor silencer :(

FourFiftyFour
03-01-2005, 06:30 AM
one more

BlueZ440
03-01-2005, 06:36 AM
That's funny chit...I had the same thing happen to me out at Glen Helen...Maybe it was the same person..LMAO:grr:

FourFiftyFour
03-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by BlueZ440
That's funny chit...I had the same thing happen to me out at Glen Helen...Maybe it was the same person..LMAO:grr:

did it make your motor die on you? mine wouldnt start at all for over a minute.

jcv400ex
03-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Ahhh! You crushed my pipe Kara! :D Good job girl, you gotta get to some more nationals.

BlueZ440
03-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
did it make your motor die on you? mine wouldnt start at all for over a minute.

No My bike didn't Die..I didn't feel it at all. My friend told me after the race to look at my pipe...I guess the guy that did it..Eat CH*T...:D LMAO

I'll post pictures tonite

JandJRacingKFX
03-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by quadchick3
I about killed you?! did you see me flipping out when you guys were trying to bump start it? I thought everything was over. You saved my weekend! Hopefully it wont happen again. Thanks!
I dont know about saving your weekend cuz all i did is push, anybody would have jumped to help. Still just wish i could have rode lol