PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning your chain

huffdaddy_400EX
02-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Whats the best way to get the dirt and grim off you chain? Does anyone use a steel brush? Special solvents? Special procedures?

Grut
02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
I just use an old toothbrush and some good ol' kerosene. Make sure you ride it around to heat up the chain afterwards (just for a short time) then spray on chain lube. I actually spray a little on before riding it around then respray.

Have fun,

Grut

dirt_humper88
03-08-2005, 05:43 PM
i know a guy with a hopped up 250r and he has had the same chain for like 2 years and its still not stretched at all... he sprays degrease stuff on it and then wire brushes it after evry ride

skatrdude20
03-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Dip it in a bucket of used car oil....then clean it off...works for me eveyr time :devil:

nosliw
03-21-2005, 08:17 PM
my goodness if your chain has o-rings dont even think about using a steel brush. here's what i do....

-remove front and rear sprocket
-let chain dangle down
-put small tub of mineral spirits/wd40/kerosene (same stuff) under
-take a section at a time and work the links while they are submerged, you can use a toothbrush if you need it
-put it all back together
-lube

yfz450rider29
03-22-2005, 11:48 AM
After every time i ride... i just power wash the quad and wd40 the chain...it dosn't get all greesed like the lubes...i race motocross so after every race i just wash and lube it....still looks new.

huffdaddy_400EX
03-27-2005, 10:16 AM
when you power wash do you use just water or do you add soap to the mix.

I have been using just water but the washer I have can also take soap (has a compartment to add liquid soap).

Could the soap get injected into area that it shouldn't be :confused:

Woodsrider
04-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Remove the chain, put it in a bucket, and cover it in kerosene. Swirl it around a bit then scrub the chain with a nylon bristle scrub brush, wipe it with a rag and reinstall it. warm the chain the usual way and lube it with your perfered lube. I use chainsaw bar oil.

ohski
04-10-2005, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by yfz450rider29
After every time i ride... i just power wash the quad and wd40 the chain...it dosn't get all greesed like the lubes...i race motocross so after every race i just wash and lube it....still looks new.

No MX here but that is what I do... :macho

Wade

Knarf0486
05-04-2005, 10:39 PM
i use carb spray and scrub it with an old tooth brush and a dirty rag. my chain looks brand new everytime i clean it.

nosliw
05-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Knarf0486
i use carb spray and scrub it with an old tooth brush and a dirty rag. my chain looks brand new everytime i clean it.

have you ever lubed your chain?

Knarf0486
05-05-2005, 05:56 AM
ya i always lube it, before and after a ride. silkolene chain lube

Knarf0486
05-13-2005, 11:58 PM
i was just talking to one of my buddies tonight and he said on his motorcycle he boils his chain in 30 weight motor oil and this will get all the dirt and grime out and this will have your chain looking brand new again. even with an o-ring chain. anybody ever heard of this method. wondering if i should try it out. he said it says to do it in the manual for his 04 r6.

Woodsrider
05-14-2005, 10:00 AM
i was just talking to one of my buddies tonight and he said on his motorcycle he boils his chain in 30 weight motor oil and this will get all the dirt and grime out and this will have your chain looking brand new again. even with an o-ring chain. anybody ever heard of this method. wondering if i should try it out. he said it says to do it in the manual for his 04 r6.

Seems lika a lot of work and waste of time to me. 30 wt is going to have to get pretty hot (350+)to "boil" and its going to smoke like a ******. So unless your doing it outside with a propane cooker it doesnt seem like a very good idea. What do you think all that heat would do to the o-rings in the chain?:eek2:

chucked
05-15-2005, 08:12 AM

wtf, I doubt that!

Knarf0486
05-15-2005, 09:50 AM
just sayin what i heard, and i asked him about the o-rings and he said its meant for o-ring chains. i dont plan on trying it out so watever, jw if anybody ever heard of it cause i was baffled when he told me.

tater_kamik
06-01-2005, 04:32 AM
i agree, kerosene to clean with an toothbrush (just not an steel brush) and follow with some good lube

eagertorace
06-16-2005, 09:00 PM
wd-40 after the wash, then take a rag and wipe it down, looks new again. lube it if desired. klotz is my choice.

Sleeper
06-18-2005, 12:13 AM
I put a block under the skid plate, put it in first or second and take a steel wire brush to it. You have to be carefull! I have been using an expensive chain lube, but I am going to switch to 80-90 gear lube and see how it goes.

I know your not supposed to do this but I can clean my chain very quick and that means I clean it often. If I was using a tooth brush I would clean it half as much.

Sleeper

HeyWatchThis
06-22-2005, 12:00 PM

I heard if you use canola oil instead of 30wt they taste better.

Knarf0486
06-24-2005, 04:27 PM
was that supposed to be funny. lol. ya i know it sounds dumb as hell, but its just wat he said to me.