PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a K&N Powerlid?

huffdaddy_400EX
02-24-2005, 11:37 PM
I am currently running with the airbox lid off on my 400EX but I keep getting dirt and sand in the airbox. Has anyone tried the K&N Powerlid? If so, what are your opinions? Does it work? Or what?

SHARPMACHINE
02-25-2005, 05:09 AM
Do a search on modified lid and you should find lnfo. I think that you might save some $$ by looking at all of the options.

just my .002

Tortured Z
02-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah I'm running the K&N Powerlid, it works OK but if I had to do it again I would go with EHS Racing (http://www.ehsracing.com/) Lid. It's alot less restrictive and easier to clean.

huffdaddy_400EX
02-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Less restrictive is good, but does it still filter out the bad stuff?

Tortured Z
02-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Yep!!

NacsMXer
02-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by huffdaddy_400EX
Less restrictive is good, but does it still filter out the bad stuff?

The EHS racing lid is nice because it uses a modded stock airbox lid with an Outerwears airbox cover incorporated into it. This translates into a perfect seal that keeps out the large particles as well as water.

I run the same Outerwears airbox cover but with my aluminum airbox so there are some gaps here and there where water could potentially get into the airbox. I would go for the EHS lid if I still had a stock airbox but I don't want to put the battery back on the subframe.

whiteflash
02-25-2005, 06:21 PM
ive got one too, alot cheaper than the powerlid...works great

mountaineer
02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
This is the one I have on my yfz. www.ehs-racing.com. I ran with my lid off and hated it. It's a pain in the butt to clean the filter and box after every ride. The ehs lid works excellent. When you receive it you just throw it on and run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

kilabeez0
02-26-2005, 07:40 PM
is it worth saving the $18 bux or so putting it together yourself? Looks REALLY easy. anyone do it themself?

whiteflash
02-27-2005, 06:04 PM
i just got the kit....

cuzron
02-27-2005, 07:13 PM
It's only cheaper to get the kit if you do it right the first time. If you screw up you will be in deeper than if you just bought the assembled one. Also, if you sell your quad you can put the stocker back on and either keep your lid for your next quad, or sell it for what it's worth. I have one on my R and I can tell you, It is waterproof. Great product.

kilabeez0
02-27-2005, 07:17 PM
It's only cheaper to get the kit if you do it right the first time. If you screw up you will be in deeper than if you just bought the assembled one. Also, if you sell your quad you can put the stocker back on and either keep your lid for your next quad, or sell it for what it's worth. I have one on my R and I can tell you, It is waterproof. Great product.

I just finished assembling my 8 month old sons new bureau set up for the past 3 hours. More wood and hardware than imaginable. On that note, do you mean screwing up drilling 8 holes???:o :o

cuzron
02-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah, or cutting the lid wrong and having to scrap it and buy a new one, or maybe jamming something threw the outerware lid and tearing it. You know, $#*^ like that. It does happen, that's why they sell replacement filters.

BLAZE1
02-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Some people might want the stock lid for some reason??

I know some of the trails I go on I put my lid on(lots of water), most of the time it is off though.

ballisticpb
02-28-2005, 02:44 PM
does the outerwares efect airflow enough to have to change jetting??

mountaineer
02-28-2005, 03:30 PM
It flows just like running no lid!:D

Out_Sider
02-28-2005, 04:46 PM
has anyone ever thought of running the k&n lid, with no filter? this thought has crossed my mind quite often

SHARPMACHINE
03-01-2005, 04:58 AM
DUDE THAT IS CRAZZZZZY!

Do not think of it, if it does not restrict air flow at all, how fine do you think it filters the air?? It is a pre filter and only meant to be a pre filter.

huffdaddy_400EX
03-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Update:

I went with an EHS racing lid and it works great. I was out over the weekend and got really muddy. After I got back home I took the seat off to better wash it down and there was a huge glob of mud on the outwear on the top of the EHS cover. :eek:

If I was still running without a lid that would have gotten sucked inside and clogged my filter. :eek2:

Moral of the story...if you ride in the mud...use a lid!!