PDA

View Full Version : Riders needed ASAP for "Monster Truck Jam" in Oklahoma City

aviator4
02-24-2005, 09:45 PM
This is for anyone that is close to the OKlahoma City metro area or can be in the OKC metro by 5:00pm on Friday, February 25th 2005 (tomorrow)

I have been contacted by Clear Channel Communications to try to find 4-5 (or more) riders that would be willing to ride in a "demo" race during the "USHRA Monster Jam" happening at the Ford Center, here in Oklahoma City. you can get more information on the event at http://www.okfordcenter.com/

this will be an inside track, consisting of small jumps and whoops. I have been told that the largest just is a 6 foot double. This is a conditioned dirt track. You will be riding in front of thousands of fans on an inside, air conditioned (heated) track both Friday and Saturday night. You will be given an ALL ACCESS pass to the show, including getting up close with the monster trucks and their drivers. This is a "get out there and wow the crowd" demonstration, there are no points or money involved. You ride for the love of riding. (and lots of freebies, I've been told)

After the show, you will sign autographs on just about everything that a fan can carry (or wear on most cases) and take pictures with the fans. Generally, being treated as a celebrity.

This is an awesome opportunity for fledgling riders to ge their name out there and possibly for company riders to get a little "ad time"

This is NO JOKE. If you are interested in riding and can be here in the time frame stated, please contact me either via E-mail or phone at 405-715-3676 any time between now and then.

Thanks.

Victor Shortt

Honda4trax250x
02-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Is this one of those races that are set up?

JUSTINcredible
02-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Honda4trax250x
Is this one of those races that are set up?

pretty sure it is.

aviator4
02-24-2005, 10:32 PM
What do you mean "set up"?

I know that it's just a "demo" race - I am sure that there are going to be some capable riders out there, but it's just for fun.

JUSTINcredible
02-24-2005, 10:34 PM
set-up or not.. it still would be fun... to bad im a several hundred miles away.

Moto92
02-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Its quad wars
It means there is two teams and you are set up to lose. They have set up fights and anything stupid you can imagine. Kind of like wrestling on quads. Not a very good thing for our sport.

jcv400ex
02-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Yep quad wars are gay. "demo" nice name.......still lame.

Usually the people that see the quad wars, watch the sport quads run past their house on the road doing 70, then go to a monster truck show and what them fake race and fight.....whooohooo that's how I want to be portraited as a sport quad rider...:rolleyes:

aviator4
02-25-2005, 07:34 AM
I dunno, I haven't seen anything about it being a "staged" race or any "staged" fights or anything.

If we get out there and someone tells us "okay.. I want you to fake punch your buddy here and then..." The conversation can stop right there because I will be too busy packing my bike up to talk. I also have no problems just "walking away" from an event that is obviously staged.

jcv400ex
02-25-2005, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't even waste the time in going then. Seriously, that's how it is. The "hometown" team always wins. The captains of each team do a fake fight afterwards, it's real lame. They have a hard time getting people to ride in them. Everyone is competitive, don't like being told to let the other guy win.

This is one place you can race that old LT250r though if you got one! Every monster jam I've been too that had quad wars, featured an old LT. lol

cdalejef
02-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Thats how the ones I've been to are run, really bad image for our sport. :grr:

aviator4
02-25-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. I was kind of going into this blind. I had never heard of it before.

It's a real eye opener to hear some experienced racers tell me about how it works.

Maybe I need to re-think this.

400grl
02-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Well, I'm doing it here in Tuscon to help out a buddy of ours get some riders......the riders we have all know each other and we are all friends - we all know it's a joke and there won't be any problems with anyone not letting anyone win and all that crap! We are doing this next weekend - 3 nights in a row. I was really hesitant to help out, too - especially since I knew I'd get comments like "it's degrading to our sport" "how could you?"and all that.....but.....you know what? I'm helping a bud out......I'd rather have it be me out there than some yahoo. If they ask me to do anything I'm not comfortable with, then I will walk.......I am going to try to make a positive impression if I can. There are alot of little girls out there who I'd love to meet and encourage after the show........ ;)

And the bikini they want me to wear is actually pretty cute. :D

Just kidding.....:blah:

QuadJunkies
02-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
Well, I'm doing it here in Tuscon to help out a buddy of ours get some riders......the riders we have all know each other and we are all friends - we all know it's a joke and there won't be any problems with anyone not letting anyone win and all that crap! We are doing this next weekend - 3 nights in a row. I was really hesitant to help out, too - especially since I knew I'd get comments like "it's degrading to our sport" "how could you?"and all that.....but.....you know what? I'm helping a bud out......I'd rather have it be me out there than some yahoo. If they ask me to do anything I'm not comfortable with, then I will walk.......I am going to try to make a positive impression if I can. There are alot of little girls out there who I'd love to meet and encourage after the show........ ;)

And the bikini they want me to wear is actually pretty cute. :D

Just kidding.....:blah: at least they dont have issues having a female ride at your event..I will NEVER particiapte in ANY Monster Jam event or take my kids to see the trucks if its ran by a certain Entertainmet Company(Ill remain quiet on that one ) It amazing what they want you to do for free at the events,two years ago our locals had a blast doing it.. Last year totally sucked and the company treated everyone like chit on the bottom of there shoe :grr: .. Hopefully your event will be clean ran show and all of you will have a good time playing the crowd ;)

400grl
02-25-2005, 10:45 AM
oooooo!!!! What happened Tina??? So far they don't mind having me out there........I don't have a girl's name, so maybe they just don't know yet! LOL!!! Maybe I should tuck up the hair!!

Yeah......this will be an experience.......I don't like being treated like crap....so.....my tolerance level will be VERY low.......we'll see what happens!! :macho

QuadJunkies
02-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
oooooo!!!! What happened Tina??? So far they don't mind having me out there........I don't have a girl's name, so maybe they just don't know yet! LOL!!! Maybe I should tuck up the hair!!

Yeah......this will be an experience.......I don't like being treated like crap....so.....my tolerance level will be VERY low.......we'll see what happens!! :macho Ill have to tell ya all about it in a PM sometime, but lets just say for the 1st time in my life a coordinator for the event made me feel ashamed to be girl or should I say... " not adequate by gender ".. for a wk end... Ill leave it at that ...:ermm:

400grl
02-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Yep - PM me - I'd like to hear that story! :macho

aviator4
02-26-2005, 11:59 AM
First off, I'd like to thank the guys that answered my request to come down and ride.

Steve Reedy - 400EX
D Holmes - Polaris Predator
Archy Henna - 250R
Shane Winters - Polaris Scrambler
Jeremy Lindsey - Z400
My Brother, Carl Shortt - DS650
My Best Friend, Darryl Cherry- 400EX

These guys went out of ther way to make it. Several of them bought riding gear JUST so they could ride this event.

I've made some great new friends and plan on having some good times with them in the future out on the sand and in the trails!

And I feel I need to apologize for those guys at the same time. Don't get me wrong, we had a good time. It was great being able to get to know them. From all indications it looked like that had a great time on the track! But the event was NOT what we were told it was going to be.

Steve - dang it, you gave me your exriders.com forum name and now I can't remember it.... PM me or gimme a call! I'm glad you got a chance to ride my quad on the track! When you're ready for some mods, let's hook up!

We had one gentleman flip his quad. He is fine, but his Polaris Predator handlebars and aftermarket clutck lever is toast. Steve, make sure D get's a hold of me. I'm gonna hook him up on the parts. FOC.

So all you forum memers, don't think we didn't have fun Friday night... but also don't think I went back on Saturday (I think only two guys went back - With some "tricks" up there sleeve.. I can't wait to hear what happened! I hope that have a great time and put the paid riders in there place.

Everyone is right, it's fixed. We were told EXACTLY who would "win" each race, in no uncertain terms. And the "pro" (read paid to be jerks) riders snubbed everyone. (Justin did thank me for bringing everyone together - thats it) - but the "home" team did win.. we weren't set up to loose.

We were also told that if we lead a full lap we would be "black flagged" and not be allowed to ride the rest of the night. - yes you heard that right. They didn't want anyone to lead and entire lap... they wanted lots of passing, and they want the quads all bunched up on the track, to the point that you can't help but "rub wheels"

We were told that afterwards there would be an "autograph signing" that we would all be at... turns out only the pro riders were allowed to go. We were told there would be a lot of "freebies involved" - the only freebies were the jersies they handed out to show the "good team" and the "bad team" - and not everyone gone one of them.

Essentially, I was lied to and I passed that info down the line, lying to my new friends. And for that I apologize.

Now, there were no "fights" or anything stupid... at least not on Friday. I will find out more about saturday once it's over.

It was fun to get involved in an event like this, it was great to meet the guys I met, but I'll never do it again and will probably boycott all USHRA events in the future.

Oh, and for those that didn't know.. EVERY monster truck event is fixed as well. - I heard that directly from the driver of "Grave Digger"

dunnonuttin
02-26-2005, 12:06 PM
if they need a freestyle bmx demo, i happily volunteer. i would like to actually jump my bike off a fmx ramp if i could get enough speed. my jumps arent big enough for me to actually do some serious stunting