PDA

View Full Version : stock riiiiight

1fastprototype
02-24-2005, 09:05 PM
That sounds more like a stock class. It is a joke that it takes two pages to define a stock class. It should be simple get it from a dealer put gas in go race, thats a stock class. All these grey areas just leave openings for creative thinkers to try to push the limits of what can be gotten away with. In my opinion if you don't like it there are ten lines to choose from in the afternoon. Change anything you want and pick a line.:blah: :blah:

RobZ_450R
02-25-2005, 12:12 PM
I will have to agree with paco above. I feel the only things that should be changed are for safety.

wilkin250r
02-25-2005, 04:08 PM
You've got to allow some freedoms. You should allow riders to change tires for different track conditions, handlebars for different ergonomics, change to a twist if desired.

Let's face it, the stock skidplate isn't strong enough to handle the rigors of racing, so let them add skidplates. Also, since some front shock are rebuildable, while other's are not, it's really only fair to allow them to replace them with rebuildable front shocks.

400exmom
02-25-2005, 04:17 PM
jeff you trouble-maker! get back in yer garage ~ ill see you sunday~:D

bradley300
02-25-2005, 04:24 PM
i see what you mean about the skidplates . on the otherside tho, if stock skid plates had to be used and somebody (as an example) started losing a couple races beacuse of a tin foil skid plate that didnt protect the rocs from breaking thier chain, maybe suzuki would think about upgrading thier quads. i think that is part of the reason the factories would even be intersted in the stock class,R&D. i bet a stock class racer on a z400 could give suzuki way more feedback about how to improve thier quad than yokeley could on his quad that barely resembles a suzuki

Pappy
02-25-2005, 04:31 PM
other then safety ...stock should be stock. but then a stock quad will cost you a ton too keep stock in repairs:(

NEPA250R
02-25-2005, 04:41 PM
I too would have to say to leave the quads as stock as possible. I think it would cause the manufacturers to improve the machines more often. But it would also probably increase prices and hurt aftermarket companies too.

Luecker
02-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Out of all the things you can change, it doesn't give you any advantage over another rider.

Basically skids and tires are the most important parts for GNCC racing. Stock radials suck and are too prone to punctures. And all the factory skids (whether metal or plastic) will not last in a rocky GNC race.

The one thing I don't think should be allowed is TIRE BALLS and beadlock wheels.

400grl
02-25-2005, 08:24 PM
For WORCS, the stock classes are only allowed to change tires, put on a slip-on, and change to a twist if you want. I think that is great for a stock class - and those classes have a great turnout, too........I would have loved to have race it except I have bars and a steering stem........but still, for the normal person who doesn't have a ton of money to put into suspension mods and all that crap....the stock classes give us some hope of competing with quads built just like ours. It's no longer a money game, it's a rider skill game. And that's why it's fun! :)

1fastprototype
02-25-2005, 08:37 PM
If the quads were left totally stock it would come down to more than who is the fastest rider. It would be more of who can ride smoother to salvage the machine, and make it last for two hours without tearing up the stock components. Saying all changes are for saftey reasons is a bunch of crap. After all the law suits of the 80's do you think the manufactures are releasing un safe quads. No there just not building them for guys to crash thru rocks and trees at top speeds, this has not a thing to do with safety. I know alot of guys that ride every weekend and there quads keep right on going and they still have every original part on them. They know when to slow down or when to go around a section that looks like damage could be the result.

These things have nothing to do with safety, six ply tires, tireballs,skid plates,tierods,flex handle bars,beadlocks,peg extensions, you can keep saying that they are and maybe if you say it enough you will start believing it yourself. Until then its a bunch of crap.:blah: :blah: :blah:

markk
02-26-2005, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
other then safety ...stock should be stock. but then a stock quad will cost you a ton too keep stock in repairs:(

That is a very good point! But on the other hand like 1fastprototype, and bradley said stock should =stock! I think if the quad came with a thumb throttle use that, If u want rebuildable shocks! Then buy the quad with rebuildable shocks!

Now come on guys how many stock racers out there at still using the 400ex, and the old version of the z400?? U are all on YFZs, and Rs.

I think that stock class means everything except TIRES!
IMO everything i list should remain stock. Bumpers, stearing stems,rims, bars,clutch,throttle housings, (possible grips),tanks,plastics,MOTOR (HINT HINT),carb,filter,swinger/a-arms,SHOCKS,hubs,axle,carriers,

NOw i do feel its ok to chang chain and sprockets, And to take off undesired junk on the quad.

Mabey some of u think that is unfar, But look at the NAME of the class, and i wanta start throwing a few thousand dollars into a STOCK quad, then it isnt stock anylonger!

tprender
02-26-2005, 06:07 AM
I helped write some rules for the stock class in some other series. We had some big discussions on what is stoock and what can be changed. There is a big difference between stock on a bike compared to a quad. For example, on a bike if you change plastic you must use the same color as stock and it must be of the same shape. If you trim the fenders it is not legal in the stock class for bikes. On a quad, can you take the air box lid off or drill holes in the cover and still be stock. Some places it is legal and some not. The stock class for quads is a big can of worms and you just have to compromise on some items.

1fastprototype
02-26-2005, 09:02 AM
The only reason it is a can of worms is everyone is afraid to step in and put their foot down. It all starts with just allowing one little change which isn't bad until you keep adding up all the little changes and before long you take a step back and look at how far from where you actually started you have gone. Now look you no longer have a stock bike. But at this point how do you get back to where you started.

1fastprototype
02-26-2005, 09:06 AM
When a question comes up about the stock class I think the it is easy to respond to. Just say did the quad come from the factory like that? Well no but,,,, There is no but its that simple, the way it came from the factory. Six simple words not 2 pages of grey area.

indygncc
02-26-2005, 04:00 PM
WOW Id like to know who got faster when they bolted on skid plates and bumpers? If so Id like to know what kind of skids and bumper you run! There are no performance enhancing products allowed in stock, only questionable item is tireballs because you can go faster and not worry about flats which would make a difference.

Chef
02-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by indygncc
WOW Id like to know who got faster when they bolted on skid plates and bumpers? If so Id like to know what kind of skids and bumper you run! There are no performance enhancing products allowed in stock, only questionable item is tireballs because you can go faster and not worry about flats which would make a difference.

Nobody ever could go faster when they put on skidplates? What about all the things you have to worry about not hitting with the stock skids? You can hold it WFO as fast as you can go over anything you want with the right skids, with the stock skids...not a chance. Most stock skids are like tinfoil now...some even plastic.

Zhvonte
02-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I think only three things can be changed:

1) throttle (twist as an option)
2) sprockets
3) tires

-- Twist throttle should be allowed

-- Sprocket should be allowed to compensate for different tire size.

-- Selection of tires are important as 18's are good for mx, and 22's are good for gncc/desert however rims stays stock.

Anything else, they can stuff that stock class in their shorts.....

markk
02-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Zhvonte
I think only three things can be changed:

1) throttle (twist as an option)
2) sprockets
3) tires

-- Twist throttle should be allowed

-- Sprocket should be allowed to compensate for different tire size.

-- Selection of tires are important as 18's are good for mx, and 22's are good for gncc/desert however rims stays stock.

Anything else, they can stuff that stock class in their shorts.....

I agree with this guy right here 100%!!!!!!!!

Luecker
02-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Part of the problem is that not everybody comes to the race with a BRAND NEW machine off the showroom floor.

Lets say you have a 400EX that you bought in 2000 and set it up for trail riding with skid plates, hand guards, tires and wheels and a larger gas tank. His stock shocks don't perform like new any more so he bought some Works without Rezzies as a replacement. He crashed a few times and cracked his fenders all up and bent his handlebars so he replaced those as well.

Now your telling me he can't race the stock class?

His machine isn't any faster since he bought it. (actually might be a little slower with all the added weight)

400grl
02-27-2005, 03:40 PM
I would have to say no, he shouldn't be able to ride the stock class - he's no longer stock. Especially with suspension.....even if it's WORKS. Stock class is for STOCK machines.....there are plenty of other classes to choose from if you have mods that put you out of the stock class category. ;)

GE4x4
02-27-2005, 04:33 PM
What I think that really shows how on-stock these stock quads are becoming is look at there lap times and overalls compared to the Pros and Pro-am times. I know you can't compare AM time to PM times, but 7 out of the first 10 were in the stock class, then you compare there times and those 7 would of been in the top 25 in the PM times. Stock quads doing just as good or better then the Pro's, Pro-AM, A, B, classes. The winner of the stock class had the 4th fastest time in both races.

1fastprototype
02-27-2005, 04:55 PM
afternoon had a whole sectionadded to the length of the coarse and by the way was a very nastey uphill section so no comparison.

markk
02-27-2005, 08:33 PM
I think that that guy shouldnt be able to run stock class! And if he is fast enuf to compete in stock class then he could pick a class like say 2st-4st C 16-21, U can run an unlimited #of mods on your machine and the comp isnt all that hard! Or mabey first year race.

Or if he is competive in stock class, than i would say he should be running either a, or pro am!

tprender
02-28-2005, 05:56 AM
As I said before the stock class is a big can of worms. Some of the things that the GNCC let in is because they are a title sponser of the series.
If some od you would go back an read what you are saying it doesn't make sense for the stock class. Like I said before is it OK to drill holes in the airbox or remove the lid? What about putting barkbusters on the bars? The list goes on. Can you change jetting? What about stickers, we all know that the more stickers that you have the faster it will make you.
Some of the riders at the Nationals should not be in the stock class. They are true P-A or A riders.

markk
02-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by tprender

Some of the riders at the Nationals should not be in the stock class. They are true P-A or A riders. [/B]

Thats true, id say a handful of them came from a/pro am to stock class, But the have a right to be there just like you or I! The stock class is suposed to be about the machine as much as the rider! Like in most of there classes it about 80% rider, and 20%bike. ON a stock quad u have your limits! STOCK LIMITS!

Bark buster, Hand guard arent really that important! Tons of riders run without them! There are thing and things the we can all argu about in the class, I just think that RP, need to look around at what other series are allowing, and everything AMA should be the same thing!j ( but that would be too simple)

GNCCracr
02-28-2005, 09:49 PM
LMAO Man Jeff , you really opened a can of worms with this one!! That was some interesting reading. See you in Florida Pal.

wilkin250r
03-01-2005, 12:14 PM
The stock class is about the performance and capability of the machine. A bumper does not make your quad any faster. An aftermarket skidplate is less prone to damage, but it does not make you accelerate faster, give you more horsepower, or improve the bottoming-resistance of your shocks.

I'll admit, I've never raced the stock class, but all I hear is a bunch of whining. C'mon now, if some noob came on this site claiming his quad is the fastest thing on 4 wheels, all because he added a bumper, skidplate, and tires, we would all LAUGH at him. Simple accessories like grips and seat covers won't make your quad any faster.

Bumpers, skidplates, handlebars, these things really aren't PERFORMANCE modifications. With or without them, your quad is just as fast as the next guy's. Seriously, if you lose a race, don't blame it on your footpegs. The motor and suspension are basically stock, what else do you need?

Fred55
03-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Thats true about not making the quad faster, but it sure can make the rider go faster and for longer if hes more confortable and has confidence that his machine can take the beating, i.e. skid plates.