PDA

View Full Version : Help did i bend the sterring collum or the handle bars or what????

New-400ex_guy
05-05-2002, 02:21 AM
well i let the girlfriend take the bike out for the first time in the dunes ( since it really is her bike :) ), and what do you know she rolls it on top of herself. she is alright but the handle bars look bent too me and when i took off the cover the whole thing looks bent.

when you look at them the throttle side looks lower than the other side. i dont know if this is normal since i never really looked at them straight on. do i have to take them off to fix them???.
would the warranty cover this, the bike is less than 1 month old.

thanks guys.

dawzie
05-05-2002, 03:49 AM
The steering stem looks bent to me. Take the bars off and set them on a table and measure the heights, comparing both sides. But it looks like you might have to spend some $$$ on a stem AND new bars.

Sparkles
05-05-2002, 05:46 AM
i found that the stock bars bent easy...

05-05-2002, 06:22 AM
Yea it looks like ur gonna have to spend some serious money on this fix. It does look like you bent the handel bars and the steering stem. That sucks

Leo
05-05-2002, 06:29 AM
steering stem looks slightly bent to me :(

grab a new one (under $100 I believe) then have the old one straightend at a machine shop for a spare..

if the stems bent, the bars probably are to :(

somehow I don't think Honda's warranty covers crash damage ;)

Leo

exriderdude
05-05-2002, 09:13 AM
dont get another set of stock handlebars, it will just happen again, get some renthals or something:D

-=Skot=-
05-05-2002, 09:28 PM
the 400 stems are crap, yours is bent, prolly the bars too, honda's warranty covered my buddy's but he had to fight and kick up a big fuss to get a new one, but he did get it. the things are like rubber:mad:

mental1
05-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Got my anti-vibe PRP from KandK ATV for about 250 even got a nice LSR clamp. But if I had to do again I'ld go with a LSR or Houser stem.Never will I replace stock with stock.

Ex'r Marlin
05-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Looking at the picture, you definetly bent your steering stem.

Looks to me the handle bars are in ok condition. It is true that the stock handle bars tend to bend fairly easy though. If you (or she) is going to do light riding on it, I would leave the stock handle bars on until they get to the point where you need to replace them with an aftermarket handle bar.

Like Leo said, you can have the stock stem straightend.

Good luck!

Cool to hear that your girlfriend rides!!
:cool:

breaks-alot
05-08-2002, 02:43 PM
Man u got ****ed over. The new Honda price books came in and last years stem cost $50 cheaper............. FOR THE SAME STEERING STEM! Yea the stem is bent down and to the right. If you like to argue then get a dirtwheels show that some of the Honda stores still have the stems for like $43 and u MIGHT be able to get a new stem for $50 like I did once. If you got the money get an aftermarket like an anti-vibe or if u like your bars higher get an extended one. Also a thought for everyone else who hate weak handle bars just think if u buy like twinwall or fat bars or something and u have a stock stem............. what’s going to bend? I don't know about you guys but I would rather have my handle bars bend then my stem especially if I have to fix my bike for the next moto its only 4 bolts and your bars can be changed in about 5 min (including the controls) If your bars are bent (can't tell until u take them off) then go out and get a cheep set of steel ones for like $25 that have a cross bar pad. They look better, they are a little stronger and u can easily buy another set w/out draining out your wallet.

Hope I helped,
Ben Gunter #16