PDA

View Full Version : Stopped by the hobby store and came home with this

Guy400
02-24-2005, 08:00 PM
I was driving by the hobby store today on the way home from work so I stopped in to see what was shaking. Ten minutes later I came out with this:cool:

kamikaze_rzrbak
02-24-2005, 08:03 PM
how much$
and nice bling'n wheels

300ex13
02-24-2005, 08:04 PM
thats cool :cool: im into r/c's also...Evader ST

Sportrax10
02-24-2005, 08:05 PM
There fun toys untill they turn into money pits.. :eek2:

Guy400
02-24-2005, 08:06 PM
By the time I bought fuel, batteries, charger, etc. I walked out the door at $521. I haven't had an R/C car in about 15 years. In fact, my last R/C was a Tyco 9.6v Turbo Hopper when they were brand new:eek2:

Aceman
02-24-2005, 08:08 PM
My wife would poop if I just decided to do something like that!!:eek2: Looks like it would be fun though.:cool:

02-24-2005, 08:11 PM
i had a tmaxx but i sold it i loved that lil thing there fast *** he$$

Fender Bender
Sweet! I stopped racing about a year and a half ago, now I'm just saving and I'm going to build an RC10GT and race it and my T4 this summer.

muddy400EX
youll have fun with that. im been into em for about 2 years now. heres mine:) 2003 rc10gt with too many parts to list:) ive posted it before but oh well
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/dirtbiker/rc10gt.jpg

TM426
02-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Watch out!!!! I just bought a Tmaxx and after breaking it in, I smashed into a light pole. New bulkheads, shocks, arms, tie rods diff. collar and skidplate. I bought aluminum bulkheads, frame braces, skids, and diff. collar. I siezed the bearing for the autostart. They are super expensive but a blast. Once they hit second gear they are GONE.

TM426
02-24-2005, 08:20 PM
I wish I held out for the savage 4.6 thats coming out though.

Guy400
02-24-2005, 08:22 PM
This thing is pretty sweet, I can't wait to break it in! It's snowing outside right now and about 25 degrees:( This thing comes with a long travel shock kit but I haven't installed it yet.

muddy400EX
02-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
This thing is pretty sweet, I can't wait to break it in! It's snowing outside right now and about 25 degrees:( This thing comes with a long travel shock kit but I haven't installed it yet.

that is a sweet truck. from experience im gonna tell you to not even mess with it untill it warms up. i would wait untill its atleast 50 outside to break it in

300exrolla
02-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Traxxas makes some great products, youll have tons of fun with that Revo:D . I regret ever selling my old T-Maxx, it was a money pit !! but soooo much fun :devil:

300exrolla

TM426
02-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Its not bad to warm it up in the colder weather. Start the car in the garage or in the house (for a very short period of time or everyones eyes will water from the nitro:D ). These motors dont want to start cold. Just keep an eye on the temp. using a digital thermometer taking temps. from the glow plug. Keep it below 250 F. The colder weather is probably better because its harder to overheat. Try not to let it run out of gas too.

Big400EX
02-24-2005, 09:04 PM
I used to be in them, but then i ran out of money

Thats a sick truck, wait untill after 50 degrees out or do it in a heated place with a lot of ventilation.

JOEX
02-24-2005, 09:04 PM
I drive by a hobby store everyday, i'm too afraid to go inside:eek: :p If I did i'd have a few more hobbies I can't afford:ermm: :p

Just don't tell me how much fun it is:devil:

wheeltrax
02-24-2005, 09:19 PM
I hear all of ya, I have the stampede, only the electric version. I wanted a T-maxx but i didnt want to spend all of my money on one either. The stampede has been through hell and back, and its awesome to play around with. Only problem is its easy to break things on them. Tower hobbies delivered stuff frequently to my house weekly for a while. I havnt used it for a few months however.

honda_runner
02-24-2005, 09:26 PM
I got into the rc hobby about 2 years ago, now I got 3 cars and trucks. Nitro Tc3 which I have 1200 invested, then my Monster GT which i have like 300 invested in it, then my newest Micro M-18 which is not done yet, but yeah I invested too much money into this hobby. Beware, its addicting.

K_Fulk
02-24-2005, 10:03 PM
By the time I bought fuel, batteries, charger, etc. I walked out the door at $521. I haven't had an R/C car in about 15 years. In fact, my last R/C was a Tyco 9.6v Turbo Hopper when they were brand new:eek2:

I still have my turbo hopper, wonder if it still works?

My neoghbor was telling me how much the gas was for his rc :eek: . And i though batteries were expensive.

Rich250RRacer
02-24-2005, 10:22 PM

Check out the control arms with the linkage to the shocks. Imagine this set-up on a quad. Long travel with a low center of gravity.

exrider360
02-24-2005, 10:23 PM
always wanted to get into them but havent yett

MOFO
02-25-2005, 03:49 AM
This is the EXACT reason why I dont stop at hobby stores. I have to admit, getting one of those have crossed my mind many times...if I stopped at the store, I know I'd be in your same boat. :D

Guy400
02-25-2005, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I drive by a hobby store everyday, i'm too afraid to go inside:eek: :p If I did i'd have a few more hobbies I can't afford:ermm: :p

Just don't tell me how much fun it is:devil: Ok, I won't tell you...I'll post pics when it warms up:devil:

Originally posted by MOFO

This is the EXACT reason why I dont stop at hobby stores. I have to admit, getting one of those have crossed my mind many times...if I stopped at the store, I know I'd be in your same boat. :DThat's exactly why I don't stop at high-end electronics stores or ATV dealerships :D

Guy400
02-25-2005, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
I still have my turbo hopper, wonder if it still works?

My neoghbor was telling me how much the gas was for his rc :eek: . And i though batteries were expensive. My 20% nitro was $21/gallon.

HondaRancherES
02-25-2005, 05:44 AM
You'll enjoy it. We have a T-Maxx, Stadium Maxx, and a Tower Hobbies ST-15. Our 20% Traxxas nitro is 21 a gallon too.

MY450R
02-25-2005, 06:23 AM
yeah im into it to
i got ya all beat though.i have probably 20 cars-trucks
all nitro and i have prolly 4 electrics
i have both tmaxxes 2.5 and the older.15
savage ,exterminator,x-factor,eb4s2,hyper7,etc etc
i have so many i cant even remember them all!
yeah i spent a fortune on them prolly in the tune of 15,000 with tools ,parts etc.
it gets to be very expensive
also like half of them are still brand new and have never been taken out of their boxes yet(except to decal)
idk why i bought them all because i never use them anymore!

catch22blaster
02-25-2005, 07:15 AM
cool cars :D :)

YLW400
02-25-2005, 07:37 AM
I did the same thing Guy...about 2 months ago... I got a RC-10GT, I wish I would of gotten a T-Maxx, or a Revo. The RC is just a little low sitting for me, not enough clearance..

300ex13
02-25-2005, 01:20 PM

Just don't tell me how much fun it is:devil:

they are sooo much fun.... sorry to tell ya but they are and if u break something it aint bad to fix 'um

zephead400ex
02-25-2005, 01:29 PM
I guess I don't quite understand what you do with these things?....just drive them around?...or are there like races with other cars/trucks?

I'm not bashing, just curious.

PHAT400
02-25-2005, 01:36 PM
It's addictive..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/deno346/mason063.jpg
And

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/deno346/mason192.jpg

dunnonuttin
02-25-2005, 03:48 PM
i will trade someone for my "new" truck i just picked up from greensboro 4 seasons mall hobby shop. comes with 15 minute charger, one battery, controller, the body shown here. and you cant resist those pimpin rims:D

honda_runner
02-25-2005, 05:10 PM
always wanted to get into them but havent yett

you should be glad, hehe

Stunt Crew<-_->
02-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Those things are fun as hell but they are wayyyy to much of a money pit if u ask me ..... probally end up gettin banned sometime or another just because those treehugin hippies think they polute the air too much. ne wayz my bro has one and there awsome to have but if your rich go for it, if not dont do it

whats the cheapest you can get them ?

Jay99400ex
02-25-2005, 05:27 PM
You must have stopped at aerotech :D

Guy400
02-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Jay99400ex
You must have stopped at aerotech :D Yep! They're only about 10 minutes from me. I've gone in there for years with a buddy of mine who flies R/C jets but never bought anything. It finally got to me yesterday:D

JForestZ34
02-25-2005, 06:01 PM
I've got this truck about 6 months ago. I wonder if the new Savage 4.6 motor will fit. It should everything else is the same.

Also if you want to make it easier to start the engine when it's cold outside warm it up with a hairdryer. As for breaking it in when it's that cold out, I wouldn't do it. Not that it can't be done but it just that the motors brand new they are alittle tempermental. Like the other guys said I would wait until it get to about 50 out. Also invest in a failsafe unit.

James

chris400
02-25-2005, 06:04 PM
that's a nice revo, along with the other trucks shown

i have a modded s-maxx

02-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by MY450R
yeah im into it to
i got ya all beat though.i have probably 20 cars-trucks
all nitro and i have prolly 4 electrics
i have both tmaxxes 2.5 and the older.15
savage ,exterminator,x-factor,eb4s2,hyper7,etc etc
i have so many i cant even remember them all!
yeah i spent a fortune on them prolly in the tune of 15,000 with tools ,parts etc.
it gets to be very expensive
also like half of them are still brand new and have never been taken out of their boxes yet(except to decal)
idk why i bought them all because i never use them anymore!

Wanna sell one ?

JOEX
02-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Ok, I won't tell you...I'll post pics when it warms up:devil:

Originally posted by 300ex13
they are sooo much fun.... sorry to tell ya but they are and if u break something it aint bad to fix 'um
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
So, how much does a 'starter' truck run?:scary:

02-25-2005, 06:53 PM
its got an LT setup?

Guy400
02-25-2005, 07:30 PM
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
So, how much does a 'starter' truck run?:scary: I don't know what kind of prices you can get for a 'starter' gas powered truck. I guess it depends on what kind of features you're looking for.

Originally posted by Atkins450
its got an LT setup?Yeah, it's got different suspension rocker arms and different springs on the shocks that will increase travel 30mm. It's primarily for rock climbing for better articulation but the spring rates are softer so it won't handle high-speed as well and you can't jump it as high.

dunnonuttin
02-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by chris400
that's a nice revo, along with the other trucks shown

i have a modded s-maxx i wish mine was as nice as all these. i feel so left out because mine is a battery powered motor and the motor is fried.

dunnonuttin
02-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Yep! They're only about 10 minutes from me. I've gone in there for years with a buddy of mine who flies R/C jets but never bought anything. It finally got to me yesterday:D whatever you do, DONT buy an rc airplane. that is the hardest thing to do. i have a firebird xl and i have crashed it into my house so many times(thank god its brick). you will spend so much freakin money on those, you could buy 12 gas trucks with all the money you spend. im thinkin of sellin it to buy a gas truck myself

Matt37
02-25-2005, 07:52 PM
whatever you do, DONT buy an rc airplane.

Agreed, I have an rc truck,boat, and airplane. And the truck is by far the easiest to operate all of them involve work but the boat was just a nightmare every time i rode it would get stuck in the middle of the lake and stale and i would have to swim forever to go get it and it was always broke. And as for the Airplane i didnt really now going into it how hard they actually are to fly. I mean you really have to know what your doing and i was flying it and a strong wind came and knocked it into a tree that it broke alot of stuff i fixed it and the day i fixed it i crashed it into the house. I mean those things are hard to fly. Any little wind that comes just sends them sailing. STICK TO THE TRUCKS!!

Woodsrider
02-25-2005, 09:07 PM
R/C trucks are the chit! I have a Savage, and it has been all consuming for the last three months.:D Its great threapy. Come home after a bad day, get out the Savage and bash it around the yard for a tank or two. And when you do brake some thing its cheap to fix.
I clipped the fence in second gear doing about 20-25 MPH and it only cost me $8 to fix the damage:macho

Big400EX
02-26-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Big400EX
http://img224.exs.cx/img224/8518/stampede2qx.jpg

That was my Stampede before I gave it away or sold it, I dont remember exactly what I did with it, cause I had 2 or 3 in my Rc Career.

This is my old Emaxx, sold and gone now.

http://img224.exs.cx/img224/6169/emaxx3mi.jpg
A pose on the roof, now that I look at it I wish I never traded it.
http://img224.exs.cx/img224/1623/emaxx13hr.jpg Thats one in my backyard by the fountain.

dunnonuttin
02-26-2005, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Matt37
Agreed, I have an rc truck,boat, and airplane. And the truck is by far the easiest to operate all of them involve work but the boat was just a nightmare every time i rode it would get stuck in the middle of the lake and stale and i would have to swim forever to go get it and it was always broke. And as for the Airplane i didnt really now going into it how hard they actually are to fly. I mean you really have to know what your doing and i was flying it and a strong wind came and knocked it into a tree that it broke alot of stuff i fixed it and the day i fixed it i crashed it into the house. I mean those things are hard to fly. Any little wind that comes just sends them sailing. STICK TO THE TRUCKS!! yep heres my airplane. second one ive bought. totaled the first one when i smacked it into a trailer about 20-30 mph. thats my 3rd wing ive bought. 15 dollars each:eek2: . trashed the landing gear in an "accidental" rooftop landing:p . this suckers are hard as crap to land. i also have a gas engine airplane my neighbor down the street gave me but the engine is locked up and i dont really feel like posting a pic right now. the wing is as tall as me:eek2: . as for the boat, i was on a camping trip at lake cammack and we were fishing at about 10-11 at night. one of my friends had an rc boat out there (we were bank fishing) and it stalled and we were tryin to decide who would go get it (everyone is scared cause of the rumor about the alligator in the lake) and i was like im not gonna do it so we flip a coin between me and the owner of the boat. it just happens to be me. so i pretty much had to walk all the way back to the cabin and put on some trunks and then walk all the way back to the dock and swim about a football fields length to get to it. i will never own an rc boat

JForestZ34
02-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Hey Dunnonuttin don't feel so bad if you get your truck setup right with the right motor and esc and the right gearing you could easily smoke some of our gas trucks...............

James

dunnonuttin
02-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
Hey Dunnonuttin don't feel so bad if you get your truck setup right with the right motor and esc and the right gearing you could easily smoke some of our gas trucks...............

James i dunno, it looked like it could kill a gas truck in acceleration but once the gas truck could get up to speed it would kill my truck. im not sayin it was for sure but it looked like it wa pullin 30-45 mph on my street. not sayin it did do it but thats how fast it looked like it was goin

JForestZ34
02-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Trust me if you get the right motor it could take some of our gas trucks. Some of the electric cars are fast as hell. Don't put your truck down or yourself because you think it's not as good as the ones we have. That's bull%^&@. Your truck has just as much going for it as ours does. Just look into some mods and talk with some guys at the LHS and see what they say. I had an electric Stampede at one point with a 7 double turn modified motor. Well let me tell you the only weak link on the truck was the gears. It chewed them up real real quick. That truck could actually spin wheel while sitting still when you hit the throttle to full. Also the batteries didn't last long at all. I would say about 4 minutes. But I was using cheap ones. That motor was alot of drain on the batteries and the speed control. If you are looking into some of that stuff make sure you get a motor the spped control could handle or you'll fry that up first. If you need any more help let me know.

James

nacs400ex
02-26-2005, 12:26 PM
I have a R/C gas powered boat. 32cc weedwacker motor(Homelite), goes pretty damn fast and its been way more reliable then the nitro boats I have driven . About a 2 meter roost of water out the back. If Im going to be doing any far out distances I make sure I have a boat to go fetch it. I love riding in a boat and driving it behind. Then you can jump the wake of the boat.

I do however want to sell it soon because I dont live near the water anymore. Plus the trucks are way better.

Big400EX
02-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Matt37
Agreed, I have an rc truck,boat, and airplane. And the truck is by far the easiest to operate all of them involve work but the boat was just a nightmare every time i rode it would get stuck in the middle of the lake and stale and i would have to swim forever to go get it and it was always broke. And as for the Airplane i didnt really now going into it how hard they actually are to fly. I mean you really have to know what your doing and i was flying it and a strong wind came and knocked it into a tree that it broke alot of stuff i fixed it and the day i fixed it i crashed it into the house. I mean those things are hard to fly. Any little wind that comes just sends them sailing. STICK TO THE TRUCKS!!

Sounds to me like you need to go fly it in an open field not in your tightknit neighberhood.

cool 300ex
02-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Sweet i always wanted one of those!

watts16
02-26-2005, 06:03 PM
there awesome i got a savage 25 and a traxxas rustler with a sirio .18 engine its fast as heck

Matt37
02-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Sounds to me like you need to go fly it in an open field not in your tightknit neighberhood.

There are strong winds in open fields as well.:rolleyes: I had a friend who always flew them in open fields and a strong wind came and threw his into the ground causing more damage. So it doesnt really matter the bottom line is if your gonna have a rc airplane you better have alot of time and money to fix them.

Big400EX
02-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Doesn't it all depend on how high you are flying, aren't you always supposed to go out on a day when there aren't heavy winds.

YLW400
02-28-2005, 08:53 AM
JOEX ,as far as a "starter" truck, I got my RC10GT (which is not really a starter truck, but a nice inexpensive way to get into it) I payed 325.00 for the RTR (ready to run kit) and a gallon of fuel....

muddy400EX
02-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by YLW400
JOEX ,as far as a "starter" truck, I got my RC10GT (which is not really a starter truck, but a nice inexpensive way to get into it) I payed 325.00 for the RTR (ready to run kit) and a gallon of fuel....

RC10GT's are a great way to get into it and once you get experienced enough there is TONS of parts for the GT. the monster trucks are very sweet but i like the stadium trucks better. the GT is kinda like the 250r of R/C cars:macho

insaneracin2003
02-28-2005, 10:46 AM
my Factory Team Associated T-4 Elec badd mofo

insaneracin2003
02-28-2005, 10:47 AM
heres another,i did the paint myself.fun stuff

YLW400
02-28-2005, 11:21 AM
they are fun, that's for sure

Rootar
02-28-2005, 12:29 PM
i love those revos but im trying to sell otu of the hobby casue i dont use mine hardly any well im keepin my mini-t but ima try and sell the pede and the emaxx heres a few pics of my trucks ive got like 1500 in all of them put together so yea they are expensive but man are they fun (i like workin on them and makin stuff just as much as driving them)

here is my emaxx
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/paa169f4c38770625aadc7108b4b693ec/f4fa197d.jpg
here is my best mod (i sell these for anyone thats interested) it lowers the batts under the chassis but does lower the ground clearnce under the center,actually its flush with the 2 chassis braces and it has aluminum battery strap/ skids Ive prolly sold 15 -20 of these to people so far every one has nothing but complments ont he performance and ease of these mounts so here is a side view
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/p87f9c4b040a3dcc7b9e7b39d71a34e62/f4fa197f.jpg
here is and underview so you can see how good they fit and protect
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/pcea34a1ce7f514eb78a3865834a9e660/f4fa1987.jpg and here is a group shot of my emaxx, pede, and mini t
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/pee157889760825dfcbfab8e1bbf51653/f4fa1985.jpg
yea dont get into the hobby if you odnt got wads of cash to blow casue once you get the bug its like a sick desiase to mod and trick out the little trucks (well they arent that little) and good luck with gas trucks they are awesome but you need to take the tiem to clean them up after each run or else they be very temperamentle so just take the 15 to celan it up after running it and take care of that engine and itll run a long time (i had a nitro stampede)

Jackie
02-28-2005, 01:03 PM
OK now, Guy wouldn't you rather have a quad? I know, no one to ride with...Have fun with your new toy.. I can't belive R/C's cost so much and you can't ride it.
Pease out:cool:

Punk'd
02-28-2005, 01:49 PM
I used to have one but it was one of those crappy toy ones for kids :D

Damien Camplin
02-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Man quads are great but rc's are a blast, i have a duratrax buggy and I want a revo as well, your revo looks awesome:)

JOEX
02-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by YLW400
Thanks for the reality check:eek2: I'm sure it's worth it but that's more than I want to spend on another hobby:p You know that 325 will soon turn into $500-$1000:eek: :devil:

HondaRancherES
03-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Once you buy the truck then it's not bad money-wise if you leave them stock. I got my S-Maxx for 325.00 and have yet to break anything. I just put gas in and go.

RytM1
03-01-2005, 07:33 AM
It also depends on what you are going to do with it. If you are going to putt around the yard, its not bad. I got into racing them last November, and picked up a Kyosho Kanai III. Once you add all the higher end electronics that can withstand the abuse, hop-up parts, and spare parts (seems like 3 of everything) to keep on hand for the race, it is very easy to rack up the $$$. I am already at or over the 3K mark in just over 3 months. But I have also just bought a new radio that will handle the new DSM Spektrum system that is just hitting the market, and is becoming a must if you are going to race. I will get some pics posted once I clean it up from Sunday's race. I am also painting bodies for a reasonable price if someone wants something custom. I'll get some pics of those up too. A good RC resource to look into is www.sgrid.com , tons of info.

black450r
03-01-2005, 12:23 PM
that thing is pretty nice same thing happened to me a couple of years ago.

Woodsrider
03-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Its funny to read all the posts in here about R/C being a money pit hobby. Realisticaly, its much cheaper than our quads, that many riders spend thousands on. Its only spendy if you must have all the trick stuff. Keep it stock and it's really not bad at all.
I hit a fence post with my Savage at 25mhp and it cost $8 to fix it.
If I hit the same post at the same speed on my quad, Id break the same parts and be into the repairs well over $250 and most likely have a few bruises, if not a broken bone or two.

JMO

RytM1
03-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Body I just finished tonight for a buddy. I have already done a matching body for his RC10gt.

RytM1
03-01-2005, 09:16 PM
My most recent race body. Lighting kinda sucks. The background color is actually a candy red.

F-16Guy
03-01-2005, 10:43 PM
R/C stuff is like crack to me. :bandit: I have a T-Maxx 2.5, a glider, an aerobatic plane (lots of fun), and an electric heli. I'll probably never get out of it; I've been trying for 10 years. :D

SGA
03-01-2005, 11:22 PM
http://img224.exs.cx/img224/1623/emaxx13hr.jpg
Thats your backyard? Sweet! Life is good:)

Angus350
03-01-2005, 11:23 PM
my dodge raminator
how do you make pictures smaller?

SGA
03-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Angus350
my dodge raminator
how do you make pictures smaller?
Poor folks like me without photoshop use irfanview. Its free and works great! http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html

Angus350
03-02-2005, 12:55 AM
i got photoshop but havent figured out how to do anything

iceracer65
03-02-2005, 11:36 AM
be warned nirto is VERY addictive ...buhahahahahahah:devil: :devil: