PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with independent rear suspension??

bonified5
02-24-2005, 05:46 PM
I hear some people say not to get IRS when buying a utility atv, but why??????

Ken Robey
02-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Independent suspensions tend to lean harder on the off camber situations that you would encounter while riding. Howver the ride is far superior to that of a straight axle. even though they are supposed to roll easier, I am not sure this is the case. I raced a prairie last year and have a King quad this year. Even though I only made it one lap in TX, because of mechanical failure, I have no problem negotiating the off cambers of this course. I walked the track the evening before and had myself convinced that I was going to roll it on the first lap. In short, don't go super high on an independent and you will be fine. a good rider can adapt his riding skills to fit the machine. Check out the King Quad 700, it is as high as the prairie.

bonified5
02-24-2005, 08:01 PM
k thanx

LoneToySoldier
11-20-2005, 03:42 AM
My old motor sergeant had a king quad 300 (Wonderful machines) with IRS that would hug a hill just fine - MUCH better than my Rancher did stock. If you like to power slide, a straight axle tends to do that more easily whereas an IRS machine will squat and take off usually. Parts are going to cost a little more if you need them later (Cv boots and axles) but all machines I know of have the same setup in the front and don't have much trouble. In my experience it's been one of those Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge kind of things.

Sleeper
11-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Guess it's all in what you want it for . I have an irs machine and love it. I bought it to go any place I want. If I want to go sliding around I will hop on my sport quad. Use the right tool for the job.
i will admit on really off camber corners on the edge of a canyon it can make your stomach flip a bit but I make sure I am half way off the seat on the high side so I won't go with the quad if it rolls. I also go very slow in the super hairy spots.

Sleeper