PDA

View Full Version : 4 stroke cc limit in GNCC

Arctic Cat Dad
02-24-2005, 04:23 PM
I was just over in the GNCC site.I was looking at the most asked questions. I just saw there that they will NOT allow the 125cc 4 stroke engines run in the 90cc youth production class! They have to be 90cc. Boy this is gonna turn some heads.

Pappy
02-24-2005, 05:10 PM
i believe they are refering to the use of a 125cc engine in a production frame. modifying a 90cc engine is allowed in the production class as far as ive been told

Arctic Cat Dad
02-24-2005, 07:23 PM
The way it was worded I don't think so. I would send them an email if I was considering to do it.

Arctic Cat Dad
02-24-2005, 07:29 PM
The question was. Can I race my 125 4 stroke in the 90cc Production ATV youth race?

Answer: NO GNCC doen not permit handicapping. The limit is 90cc for both 2 strokes and 4 strokes!

Johnny & Monica
02-24-2005, 07:57 PM
I think what their talking about is buying a production quad that is 125cc not making engine mods to your production 90. They're not gonna allow like a breeze or something comparable to run in the youth classes. You can't take a 125 motorcycle engine and put in a trx90 chassis. Production class allows motor mods but the limited is like stock no motor mods to this class.

Pappy
02-24-2005, 08:01 PM
thats what i was thinking also. as long as the frame and engine cases are stock then its an open class. i dont believe we will be over 90cc so im good either way:p

Livin4Real
02-24-2005, 10:41 PM
I believe LT80 posted over at source that 90cc was the limit now, no if's, and's or but's. But it does go to show you the issues with
rule interpretation and the atva.

Johnny & Monica
02-25-2005, 08:14 AM
I emailed RP to get the final verdict on this. One of our trx90's has a 107 kit in it and we were planning on putting a motor kit in Taylors 90 but I guess we'll wait and see what they say for sure. Chance did run the 107 last year at Ironman and I asked them then if that was ok for production and they said yes.

hr15
02-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Has anyone spoken with them since they decided to have the youth ATV classes?The FAQ Artic Cat Dad quoted seems to say the GNCC is not allowing the 125's like the GNC MX is.:confused:

Arctic Cat Dad
02-25-2005, 08:06 PM
I sent them an email,but you know how they are.The way they answer their No questions in Red and they answered this one in red also. GNCC doesn't allow handicaping in ANY class. And that is what they said in the youth class as well. They said ALL youth atv will be 90cc limit both the 2 strokes and the 4 strokes.

grizzlykev
02-25-2005, 09:17 PM
are they gonna run dif age classes as well or not?

Arctic Cat Dad
02-26-2005, 07:49 PM
I still believe the 90cc class is still 8-15.

hr15
02-28-2005, 05:00 PM
According to the response I got from racer productions,90cc is the limit,from the way they put it you cannot bore the cylinder to exceed 90cc for either 2 or 4 stroke.One other item that was brought up was the fact Honda is the only quad with a pull starter.They may add a contingency in case the rider cannot get it started but most likely the start will remain dead engine.If the Hondas don't start by the 3rd or 4th pull it may wear some out before they get on the course. :(

Arctic Cat Dad
02-28-2005, 08:07 PM
At the Ironman GNCC National they said the child had to make the first pull on the pull cord. Then someone else can start the quad.

hr15
03-05-2005, 10:34 AM
That would at least help a little.Thanks for the info.

i-zapp
03-11-2005, 10:28 AM
I asked them the same question, and got a similar response from Jason at Racer Productions, referring to their FAQ...

15. Can I race my 125cc 4-stroke in the 90cc Production ATV Youth class? No. GNCC does not permit handicapping. The limit is 90cc for both 2 strokes and 4 strokes.

I replied with my own concern that not only is it unfair to the 4-stroke machines (as ATVA has recognized by increasing the 90cc class 4-stroke limit to 125cc), but it effectively excludes many of the new Asian 110cc quads that are becoming real popular like Yamoto, Kazuma, Redcat, and Jetmoto.

I would have thought the GNCC promoters would have put their best foot forward in this new series by encouraging as many youth ATV entries as possible by not only allowing the new 110cc Asian machines, but by letting guys who've built competitive "big-bore" MX quads give cross-country a try. The've really limited the entry pool. Not too many guys are gonna switch back and forth between races.

I hope that by the time Steele Creek comes along they've realized that lifting this restriction could only help the successfullness of the event, and they let our big-bore 4-stroke youth riders compete.

hr15
03-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Seems too late to change the rules now.What about anybody that spent time and money to stay legal?

quad mom 1
03-16-2005, 05:56 PM
We also talked with RP at least 3 or 4 times, to make sure of the ruling. As it stands & will remain, you may not run a 125 cc 4 stroke or anything above a 90 cc!! 2 or 4 stroke for that matter. That is what we were told, more than one time. I think where the confusion came in, was that ATVA ruling changed. They are allowing production & modified 90cc class 4 strokes to be 125cc this year. GNCC is not!! Good Luck to all, see you in N.C.:D

quad mom 1
03-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by i-zapp
I asked them the same question, and got a similar response from Jason at Racer Productions, referring to their FAQ...

I replied with my own concern that not only is it unfair to the 4-stroke machines (as ATVA has recognized by increasing the 90cc class 4-stroke limit to 125cc), but it effectively excludes many of the new Asian 110cc quads that are becoming real popular like Yamoto, Kazuma, Redcat, and Jetmoto.

I would have thought the GNCC promoters would have put their best foot forward in this new series by encouraging as many youth ATV entries as possible by not only allowing the new 110cc Asian machines, but by letting guys who've built competitive "big-bore" MX quads give cross-country a try. The've really limited the entry pool. Not too many guys are gonna switch back and forth between races.

I hope that by the time Steele Creek comes along they've realized that lifting this restriction could only help the successfullness of the event, and they let our big-bore 4-stroke youth riders compete. :) I see your issue but I do not agree, GNCC has put alot of thought into this, & as in any new series there will be room for improvement. I myself am thrilled they are giving our youth a chance to be involved in thier national series. Hopefully, next year they will change thier ruling to give more kids a chance to compete.

Livin4Real
03-17-2005, 12:47 AM
I don't think the folks who are buying the redcats and kazumas
are necessarily the racing type per se. I've yet to see one at any of the tracks we run and quite a few are non-sanctioned tracks
where "run what ya brung" is the motto. The majority of the
"110's" are usually only about "96's" and I don't think the aftermarket support is there right now for them to be competitive
like there is for the Kasea, Honda, Dinli etc.

i-zapp
03-17-2005, 10:04 AM
true enough, but you got to start somewhere. you could have said the same thing for dinli and kasea years ago. i'll admit we got our work cut out for us with our Jetmoto, but with electric start, reverse, and shaft drive it's actually got some features that might give it a bit of an edge. we're certainly not going to be shaking things up, but just want a chance to run a national cross country event.