PDA

View Full Version : Which is more beneficial

mikeminyard
02-24-2005, 01:20 PM
A port and polish, or a powerbomb header, assuming the same cost. 11:1 406, e series, hotcam stage 2, 450r carb are my mods.

cals400ex
02-24-2005, 04:46 PM
i think a good full exhaust is needed before a port/polish job. we had huge gains out of a full hmf system over a white brothers slip on with a stock header and the welds grinded out of it. i am not sure if the fmf header is big enough to produce the gains that we got out of the full hmf, but i have a feeling it will be more noticable than a port/polish job.

2muchquad
02-24-2005, 05:39 PM
i think the exhaust is money well spent,its a shame a lot of these aftermarket companies charge what they charge for a so called port job.a lot of it entails merely "polishing" the intake and exhaust tracts with no real performance benefit.i have a buddy of mine Dan H. who is Nick Weys mechanic.He wrenched for Casey Jonhson last year.He told me that they woukld actually make the intake ports SMALLER to increase velocity,which also helps volumetric efficiency.So paying some company 3 or 4 hundred dollars for a port job just to loose ridiability is hog wash.spend your cash on a good exhaust and big bore.sss

K_Fulk
02-24-2005, 06:06 PM
A port job isnt going to much good unless you have a full pipe first.

mikeminyard
02-25-2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I only thought about doing the port and polish because he was going to have the head off anyway, but right now, it is either one or the other. The guy is a very good engine builder though.