PDA

View Full Version : Steroids in Baseball

DeerNuts
02-23-2005, 10:55 PM
I am sure you are all aware over the problem steroid use is in pro baseball. I for one am a diehard Phillies fan.:( That sucks, I know. Anyway, I feel that it is a shame that baseball came to this, that it has gone from a national pastime to a sport whose image is a bit muddled. Personally, I dont think that as many players use steroids as is sometimes claimed. Maybe it's true though, who really knows?
Has anybody wasted their money on Jose Canseco's new book, Juiced? I havent yet, but am a little intrigued about it. He claims to be the "godfather" of steroids in baseball. Some of his claims in the book seem a little far-fetched, but I guess he has the insiders view. He claims that many high-profile players have been or are steroid users. That is a shame if it is true.

I think that if Barry Bonds indeed used steroids (yeah, he did admit to unknowingly taking them, but thats probably BS IMO) and if and when he passes Ruth on the homer list, I think that he should NOT be recognized as having done so, since he CHEATED.

Baseball used to be just a game. Players didnt really train as much as they do today, and it was more for just the fun of it.

There was an interview with Bobby Abreu (CF for Phillies) and he was told that he slimmed down quite a bit as compared to last season. (He used to be a bit bulked up). Anyway, then he was asked how he did it. He was like, "Um, well, uh, you know, I just watched what I ate and really didnt exercise as much as I had in previous years" (something along those lines). My point is, he seemed uncomfortable or even unsure as to how he slimmed down. I instantly thought that maybe he was on something. It is a shame that that thought jumped right into my head, because he always seemed like a decent player, one that wasnt into all that crap. And he probably isnt. All the media attention to steroids have caused me to instantly be suspicious of certain players, and that isnt good, especially if those players never did them.

Just a thought, if baseball has all these problems, just think how bad football or basketball might be, you know? I dont mean to make an unnecessary connection, but it does jump out at me as a real possibility.

I love sports, especially baseball, and think that it is a shame that is has come to this. Hopefully there is more hype than fact in this case, but the opposite may prove true
:(

What are all your thought about it?

Bush0102
02-23-2005, 11:02 PM
I think it's bullcrap, bonds is juiced and lying through his teeth- and everyone knows it.

i hope he ends up like pete rose and gets banned from baseball. same thing with Jose Conseco- that guy has always been a jackass. When i lived near San Francisco, Conseco lived in my neighborhood and would drive 90mph down the street. He even charged kids 5 bucks to wash his porsche...

It's coming to them in the end. Today on Sportcenter they had a story about a guy who lost both of his legs due to steroid use

bansheeguy77
02-24-2005, 08:12 AM
i think its a shame that baseball has come to this. they really should crack down on steroids in all sports. do random tests every month and if they are caught give them a decent punishment. after that i feel they should not be able to be in the hall of fame or have any records. bonds should not get the homerun record its unfair and everybody knows it. another thing baseball needs is a salary cap. the yankess salary per year is 300 million, the brewers are 30 million. there is no way they can compete. oh well it will probably take the mlb a while to crawl out of this one.

cletusEX
02-24-2005, 08:14 AM
I definitely think steriods has tainted the game of baseball. I grew up playing baseball year round but gave it up in college due to wanting to have a life. (college ball is like a year round job) I loved playing and watching baseball due to the mental side. I loved stepping up to the plate and wondering what the pitcher was up too and how was he going to try and get me out. Or standing in centerfield and running every possible play through my head. I think in the last 10-15 years fans have wanted to see people hit 600 foot homeruns and throw over 100mph. Steriods can give the people what they want to see. I will still probably watch major league baseball but if you really want to the how the game is supposed to be played find a 12-15 year old game and take notes.

I-7
02-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Jason Giambi also admitted doing something wrong but he never said it was steroids. They use every possible way to avoid being looked at by the fans and media as steriod users... Accidentally used them, or didnt know it was illegal, blah blah. Its all crap, they know what they are doing wrong and their ruining the game. Its just not interesting to watch anymore. The whole professional sports leagues are all deteriorating into a race for which team is the richest and can afford the most players and which team pays the players what. Its not about the game anymore, just the money

honduh440
02-24-2005, 12:00 PM
if you havnt bought the book and your not a die hard baseball fan i wouldnt recommend it. it's more of a biography on jose cansecos life and a little about steroids. jose is the godfather on steroids and he is a very smart guy hes not being an *** and ratting on people he is not 100% sure does steroids but he will say that barry bonds most likely does steroids and whoever he says im sure he is 99% correct.

speaking of the phiillies my baseball coach was drafted by them back in the day he never got to play but he told us about steroid abuse from players i had never even heard of

Matt37
02-24-2005, 12:54 PM
I cant believe how arrogant Bonds is that guy should not even be in the league anymore!

zephead400ex
02-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Bonds is arrogant, but a damn good ball player...'roids or not. It doesn't mean you have to like him as a person, I don't, but give credit where credit is due.

....do the letters 'TO' ring a bell?...now he's arrogant.

Matt37
02-24-2005, 04:27 PM
....do the letters 'TO' ring a bell?...now he's arrogant.

He may be arrogant but he is a damn good player as well and gets the job done. And he doesnt have to take drugs to get the job done either. And in the Super Bowl he played with all his heart after just alittle more than a month earlier having surgery no one said he wud do anything and he did. And like TO always says "you dont like me, keep me out of the endzone."

knighttime
02-24-2005, 08:12 PM
although i don't condone "ratting out your friends", and maybe Canseco isn't doing this. He supposedly was black-balled from baseball at the end of his career to prevent him hitting 500 career homers and being guaranteed a Hall of Fame induction.

I believe what he is saying to be 100 percent true. Steroids have hit all sports, but never have they hit a sport like baseball. I dont say this because of the players doing anything you or I wouldn't have done, but it is a sport that is big on historical (100+) year records. Steroids came in, and these boys hit a chit load of homers. If they can step up this year and do it clean, then maybe the steroid issue will go away ,but dont forget some pitchers used it as well. :confused: