PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

flat_track400ex
02-23-2005, 07:19 PM
ok i'm putting my TC exhaust on this weekend and i was wondering i never jetted my quads before always took it to the shop but i figured i need to learn how could someone explain to me how to go about doing this?
thanks alot

DirtDevilBT
02-23-2005, 10:49 PM
No question is stupid, well some are but not yours.

Well, you really ot to get a manual for this but it can be done without. I can give you a base line but it's up to you to "tune" it. There is a flat screw on the bottom of the carb. It is on the head side of the carb not filter side. This is the mixture screw. Trun it clockwise (in) until it seats lightly. Then turn it out say 2.25 times to start. This controls the amount of fuel going into the carb from idle to 1/8 throtle. You can only adjust this "better" with the motor running, for now it's not necessary. There is a bolt at the very bottom of the carb. I think it's a 17mm. Unscrew that to get to the main jet. It's brass and somewhat small. Unscrew that with a socket of correct size. I say that b/c it is soft. You will need a bigger "main" from your dealer. Get a 170, 175,180,185,190 to cover where you are and where you might go. I can only recommend, just like anyone else, what to start with. Try the 175 if you are above 3kish above sea level. Put it in where you took the other out. Remember it's brass (I think it's brass :D ) and is soft so put tighten it up 1/4 maybe after it seats. Make sure things stay clean durning this process, then put the bolt back in. Ride it like that and get back to us on what it is doing. We might be able to go from there.

I hope there are others that help you some time soon, I don't know everything and would mind the help helping you. :D

400exrider707
02-23-2005, 11:40 PM
click on that thing at the top of the page that says tech articles you should be able to find something useful in there.........

Eddiesanders250
02-24-2005, 04:06 PM
could get a manual from honda?

DirtDevilBT
02-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
could get a manual from honda?

Manuals really can't help you other than pointing out where stuff is. Try what 707 said.:D