PDA

View Full Version : front shock sqeek

big papa plump
02-23-2005, 06:55 PM
I have a 2004 400 ex that I have had for about 6 months. I have recently been bothered by a squeek coming form the front shocks. I haven't noticed any problem with the suspension travel or performance, but the squeek is bothering me. Is this something I should worry about? Is it something that I can fix? or should I just take it back to the dealer and have them take a look at it since it is still under warranty? The shocks are in the 2nd to the softest setting, and they are the stock shocks. Any help would be great.

khen
02-23-2005, 06:57 PM
It is most likely the bottom shock bolts(a-arm end) are dried up and just need some oil. It's VERY common with the stock shocks.

big papa plump
02-23-2005, 07:00 PM
what is the best way to oil the bolts? What type of oil should be used?

khen
02-23-2005, 07:01 PM
I usually pulled them out and cleaned out the bushing on the shocks and the bolts really well and then just used a light oil(tri-flo, 3 in 1, etc).

big papa plump
02-23-2005, 07:19 PM
I just figured it out and the squeek is gone. Thanks for the help...

JEFF400EX
02-24-2005, 10:14 AM
khen you have "VW Stabilizer" listed in you post.

This is a steering stabilizer right? Where can i get info on one of these and does it help out a-lot?

khen
02-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by JEFF400EX

This is a steering stabilizer right? Where can i get info on one of these and does it help out a-lot? It is a VW bug steering stabilizer that I modified to work on my 400EX. It mounts like the PEP ones do. I had to fabricate a mounting clamp for the steering stem and modify the stabilizer a bit. Not a bad deal for $17 though. I really like the stabilizer, much smoother going over the ruff stuff. I haven't seen a lot of info/pictures of doing this mode on the EX, I just saw some pictures of the PEP stabilizer and fabricated something similar.

The PEP and Denton steering stabilizers are priced pretty good if you decide to get a stabilizer and don't want to try to fabricate something.

JEFF400EX
02-24-2005, 10:59 AM
thanks man,

do you have any pics of it?

I can't figure out how to post pics yet.

I deffently want to try and make one (can't afford to buy one)

TBD
02-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by JEFF400EX

This is a steering stabilizer right? Where can i get info on one of these and does it help out a-lot? Make sure to get the one that is not pressurized. You can put a hiem on the end like PEP does. Carefully hold the shaft tight and unscrew the end off. You won't be able to find a hiem to match the threads on the shaft, but you can rethread the shaft. You want to get the VW bus stabilizer. I believe it's the same stabilizer that PEP uses, and then he puts a hiem on it.

JEFF400EX
02-24-2005, 11:19 AM
cool, thanks

any luck with a pic?

khen
02-24-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't have any pictures, but I'll try to get out and take some within a few days.