PDA

View Full Version : loose head stud nut

44oEX
02-23-2005, 06:18 PM
I have a 500ex kit from FST and at first I was pulling out the studs so I changed the cylindre and the studs. But know the studs are holding and the nut ( the one on the exhaust side ) is going loose. at first I only had to tight it ones every couple of weeks but know it every 10 min. I tried a diffrent nut. lock tight ...

I need help. I have a new gasket comming I don't want to blow this one up to.

all I want to do is drive this dam thing

HELP

BSTURDIVANT
02-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Probably is still the stud on the exhaust! the stud pulls up gradually and feels like it takes torque but when the head heats up, it pulls! need oversize studs from FDO

Aceman
02-23-2005, 09:40 PM
^^^That sounds like what is happening to me.

shamisc
02-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Are these oversize studs holding up though?:confused: I went from 11:1 440 to a C. Sparks 12.5:1 JE. I'm also installing GT Thunder's HD head studs and HD rod. I'm just scared these aren't going to hold up either! My main concern is reliability!:( Are you peoples head gaskets holding up with this much compression? I ALWAYS run 112 octane! No mixing 50/50!

44oEX
02-24-2005, 05:15 AM
shamic you setup will be good don't worry about it. some people go to 14:1 compression so your good.

I only have the stock studs but I talk to michey dunlap ( FST and he said he only runs the stock studs on all his machines. and that there was no reason to go to HD.:eek2:

it's weird cause the first time around when I pulled the studs I could only torque them ones. but these are torquing up to 35 every time:huh so I don't think I am pulling them out. but I really don't know. if it was pulling out it wound't even hold the torque and it does.I checked and the stud it's turning it's just the nut. I will have to check this weekend if the stud is still at the recommended height.

as for getting hd stud I wanted to get the hd stud from c&d they can get just the one on the front but they are out for a couple of weeks and I really don't want to have any more down time with this thing. I called FDO and they don't answer the phone I e-mailed them and still don't have a replie.

if the stud is still at a good height witch means it's not pulling out. is there anything I could do to make that dam nut stay tight. I am getting very pissed at this thing and will weld it solid If I have to :mad:

:D

TC426EX
02-24-2005, 06:23 AM
YOu need HD studs no matter what mickey said, I can tell you that from ALOT of experience.... I have stated on this board many times the numerous problems I had with blowing head gaskets when I went 12:1, but since I installed some ECATV HD studs I havent blown a single one or lost torque on any of the bolts...

Definitely a mandatory mod for built engines....

44oEX
02-24-2005, 06:44 AM
yeah I am sick of messing around with this.

I will get HD stud and hoping it holds.

cals400ex
02-24-2005, 05:00 PM
i would get new nuts at least. get the ones that don't have a top on them like the stock ones. a regular nut for example should work better.

44oEX
02-24-2005, 05:52 PM
I did get new nuts.....3 times:grr:

And know tonight I try to take them out and it won't come out:mad: I double lock nut the stud to take it out and it didn't want to come out and now it's stripped:mad: dam I hate studs:mad:

44oEX
02-24-2005, 05:55 PM
I have a set of gt tunder stud on order. but I still have to take the other one out:grr:

cals400ex
02-24-2005, 11:29 PM
well, let us know how the studs do then.

44oEX
02-25-2005, 04:53 AM
I will do that

thanks for the replies

BSTURDIVANT
02-25-2005, 06:46 AM
When the stud won't come out, it's a dead give a way that it's pulled! tap the stud on top and it will come out easily!