PDA

View Full Version : IS it possible

QuadJunkies
02-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Is it possible to patch a Hoosier tire if the side wall is torn???

Cody_300ex
02-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Is it possible to patch a Hoosier tire if the side wall is torn???

Maybe, might wanna check with a local Wheel & Tire dealer and see what they can do. But that sucks, and I no being a TT racer that anit a cheap tear!! :eek2:

EvilJester400EX
02-23-2005, 06:46 PM
That's a very thin sidewall to patch. :(

wilkin250r
02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
If the sidewall has a tear, it's very hard. The problem is sidewall flex when you're hard cornering, the stress will want to make the tear worse. It's like having a tear in fabric, and then trying to stretch the fabric, it will just make the tear bigger.

You would need a very strong patch and strong glue to strengthen that area. However, TOO big and strong with the patch, and your tire will be off-balance.

If you're running 10 inch rims, that would be a little better. Also, flattrack tends to be higher tire pressure than other types of racing. Higher tire pressure will reduce sidewall flex and stress.

It's risky. If the tire blows, it's going to blow in a corner, which could be a little more serious than just taking you out of the race and losing points. It has the potential of putting you into someone else, and ending up in a serious crash.

Your flattrack is all one direction, right? Only left-hand turns? Are the Hoosiers directional? If you DO decide to try the patch, I would put it on the outside edge of your inside tire. That way, any flex or stress won't be pulling the tear apart, trying to rip it open again.

sharkinthepool
02-24-2005, 11:51 AM
I highly doubt that would be safe. The speeds you are going to travel on that tire could put you in serious danger.:eek2:

QuadJunkies
02-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

If you're running 10 inch rims, that would be a little better. Also, flattrack tends to be higher tire pressure than other types of racing. Higher tire pressure will reduce sidewall flex and stress.

Your flattrack is all one direction, right? Only left-hand turns? Are the Hoosiers directional? If you DO decide to try the patch, I would put it on the outside edge of your inside tire. That way, any flex or stress won't be pulling the tear apart, trying to rip it open again. yes, FT is about over, only one more race on Sat. but I dont think Troy wil be racing and I know I wont be for sure :( He was thinking about putting that tire to the INSIDE so the Flex isnt as much We run anywhre from 4.5-6 lbs. as an Ave. on the track for PSI. and the hoosier is the triangle tread ( you can reverse for more traction) its a soft Comp. tire . It was just a thought. I guess when the quad came up i nthe air when I wrecked the pressure casued the tire to split sorta and it tore on the side wall

seven
02-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Your best bet is to put a tube in it. Not Ideal but it will get you by.

QuadJunkies
02-24-2005, 12:34 PM
I have a feeling Ill just get stuck buying him a new freakin tire.... :grr:

seven
02-24-2005, 12:39 PM
You should buy him 2. That way he doesnt have one new one and one OLD one!

QuadJunkies
02-24-2005, 01:03 PM
well that too bad for him!! :p Im getting TWO NEW ONES FIRST!.... LOL.. and he can rotate the two tires out. His look like they are still almost new .... :)

wilkin250r
02-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I have a feeling Ill just get stuck buying him a new freakin tire.... :grr:

Honestly, this is the best. It's kinda like the old saying "If you have a $10 head, then buy a $10 helmet". Racing is risky enough (as you've found out). Don't add any more just to save a few bucks.

QuadJunkies
02-24-2005, 02:03 PM
hes down at the tire shop right now seeing if anything can be done if not ,no biggie.. thats part of racing..... ;)
Im suppose to score on 6 sets of American Racers from the Cart guys in the next week anyhow...:eek2: :D They are used but not much and I cant beeitch if they are for FREE anyhow.... :blah:

geogeorge
03-06-2005, 08:05 AM
I would think you would spend as much fixing the tire as you would to replace it. They could do a valcansion or how ever its spelled on it but that is not cheep.

QuadJunkies
03-07-2005, 11:03 AM
well, he chanced it to see how it would do and it held air fine :)
The season is now over so we will just replace it next year ;)

QuadJunkies
03-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by geogeorge
I would think you would spend as much fixing the tire as you would to replace it. . Not when the local shop sponsors you.... :D ;)

twisted threads
03-07-2005, 11:06 AM
My brother had a brand new Hoosier tire ripe and the only thing we could do is buy a new one.:(

The season is now over so we will just replace it next year

How did you guys do?

QuadJunkies
03-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Troy took 2nd in Pro 3rd in points( you have to be a member to get the overall championship at the end of the season so Troy took 2nd)

I took 4th( I had a nasty wreck last race, was in 3rd place:mad: )

Kelsey took 1st place in themodified class

Brandon took 3rd in the modified class