PDA

View Full Version : Polished Shock Linkage

Wheelie
09-08-2001, 06:20 PM
Got bored today and polished the two rear shock linkage pieces and the bottom of the rear shock, it turned out better than I thought it would. Truly looks like chrome. So far I've done my motor mounts, oil filter cover, starter clutch cover, timing plug, master cylinder and throttle covers. When all said and done it adds a nice touch. If I get a chance, I am going to tear down my quad over the winter, get the frame powdercoated and polish the entire engine case and the front spindles.

Stevo
09-08-2001, 11:07 PM
That's cool, but usually everytime i go riding it gets covered with mud so I don't polish to much on mine:)

crday98
09-09-2001, 10:14 AM
hey wheelie,can you post some pics of that linkage along with some of the other stuf you have polished?

Wheelie
09-09-2001, 02:04 PM
Sure no problem, it will take a few days. Have to borrow my friends digital camera, but I will have them posted by the end of the week.

booneTRX
09-10-2001, 05:04 PM
Sounds like someone has too much time on his hands!!!! Should be riding it!!!!!!!!

Mine gets muddy, I wash it quickly, I ride it again. Polishing is for street bikes and show cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!:macho

Wheelie
09-10-2001, 08:25 PM
Boone TRX--

It took just over an hour, and yes I probably have too much free time on my hands. BTW where I ride I rarely find any mud to ride in, maybe once or twice a year (I live in an area that gets about ten inches of moisture a year). I like to take pride in my ride.

crday98--

Here's the pictures you requested

Leo
09-10-2001, 08:34 PM
yikes, that's shiny!

Leo

DISHO1
09-10-2001, 08:38 PM
how and what do you use to polish aluminum?

09-10-2001, 11:54 PM
YEAH,HOW DID YOU DO THAT CAUSE THAT LOOKS BAD ***

Wheelie
09-11-2001, 09:03 AM
Take a fine mesh steel wool and scrub the piece of aluminum until it's smooth and has a bit of a shine to it. Then get a high quality aluminum polish and go to town! It took more time to disassemble the linkage than to polish it.

Wheelie
09-11-2001, 09:09 AM
Oh yeah, here is a picture of a few more pieces I did. I tried to do the float on the carb when I changed the pilot jet, but it didn't turn out that good.

inacoma91
09-11-2001, 02:44 PM
I usually like the brushed aluminum look on my racecars. Your 400 looks awsome i must say. Looks like i have a winter project on my hands!!!!

Looks great

Andrew

crday98
09-11-2001, 07:15 PM
i just cleaned mine up tonight and when i was polishing the side cases i got a little polish on the engine case itself.i didn't know it was bare aluminum:o looks like i have another job coming to me;)

if anyone decides to strip and polish the side cases,they should use a product called AIRCRAFT STRIPPER.it is specifically made to strip paint,primer,hell,all coatings on aluminum surfaces.i tried 3 different strippers before this and none worked for s#*t.i got this stuff,sprayed it on, the paint shriveled & came right off.it was like magic.i got some at the local paint supply shop but i did see it at wal mart too.

hotrodhonda400
09-14-2001, 08:24 PM
Hey that looks sharp! I took on a similar project on my new 400 myself, I took off the stock exhaust header and took some mothers polish to it, and WOW:D did it look different ,,,looks like an expensive aftermarket pipe , and i was worried that it would tarnish after heat got to it ,but its still as shiney as ever !;)

09-14-2001, 09:47 PM
You got your header pipes to look cool? How did you do it and what did you use? E-mail me at mcouch1@alltel.net to tell me.:cool:

Chef
09-14-2001, 09:54 PM
i just had a crazy thought, isnt the swingarm aluminum? if it is, then if someone had alot of time on their hands and didnt ride a whole lot in mud and stuff they could use that aircraft stripper and do the whole swingarm! i may have a winter project coming to me.

hotrodhonda400
09-15-2001, 06:17 AM
to polish my header I took it off the bike (of course:rolleyes: ) and took mothers aluminum polish and a wax applicator,put some on my wax pad and pipe and polished untill it turned dark black wipe off and repeat untill the thing looks like chrome! when your done take some type of window cleaner (I used armorol window cleaner) and a clean rag and soak it down to get off all the wax I did this several times and with several rags cause if ya don't the pipe will turn an ugly brown and thats what mine already looked like:p

crday98
09-15-2001, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by HOTT440EX
i just had a crazy thought, isnt the swingarm aluminum? if it is, then if someone had alot of time on their hands and didnt ride a whole lot in mud and stuff they could use that aircraft stripper and do the whole swingarm! i may have a winter project coming to me.

i know someone that is thinking about doing this very project,if he beats you to it i will post the results.

inacoma91
09-16-2001, 07:03 PM
On the lower part of the jug on my motor where the cast isnt all rough i polished the fins. I took scotch brite pad to it then the aluminum polish to it. You can sort of tell. Then i polished my front shocks, they are as shiny as my rear linkage.

Andrew

"BLAHH"300!!
09-17-2001, 01:32 AM
LOOKS LIKE WE ALL MIGHT HAVE A WNTER PROJECT

THE FRAME IS PROBABLY ALUMINUM ALSO-

MAKE YA' WONDER;)

Red Rooster
09-17-2001, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Take a fine mesh steel wool and scrub the piece of aluminum until it's smooth and has a bit of a shine to it. Then get a high quality aluminum polish and go to town! It took more time to disassemble the linkage than to polish it.

if i wouldn't use a polish would it look kinda like brushed aluminum

rhino99
09-17-2001, 02:14 PM
The frame isnt aluminum.

Foxrage
09-17-2001, 03:07 PM
I did it to mine and it didnt look like brushed aluminum it still looked kind of chrome but when i added the polish it got more shiny

"BLAHH"300!!
09-17-2001, 05:52 PM

rhino99
09-17-2001, 06:18 PM
No prob, just didnt want anyone going and sanding on their frame hoping to shine it up! It wouldnt last long as it would rust to hell quickly!

The only aluminum frames on a quad are the cannondales, but a few dirtbikes have them, cannondale, CR's I am not sure about hte rest.

kabd69667
09-17-2001, 06:27 PM
I would recommend gettign the normal or course steel wool. It goes a heck of a lot faster w/ that than the fine

Wheelie
09-17-2001, 07:53 PM
kabd69667--

You're right about that, the medium or coarse makes quicker work out of the ordeal.

I would like to know more about bringing the headpipe to a chrome-like finish. Anyone have any info on that?