PDA

View Full Version : exhaust baffle

05-04-2002, 03:28 PM
i got a question- i want to make more sound, or maybe try a different sound, but i dont really care about getting more power, i dont want to spend a lot of money either. I was wondering if removing the end piece of the 400's exhaust would increase noise but not effect exhaust flow or if anyone had a used pipe for sale? Thanks

VegasEx'r
05-04-2002, 03:49 PM
You can pull out the baffle, & it will be quite a bit louder. I don't know that it wouldn't affect flow though, it would probably speed it up, so you might need to go to a larger jet, but like I said, I am not sure. Why do you want to be louder but not make more power?

:huh :confused:

05-04-2002, 04:01 PM
its not that i dont want power- its just that i dont want to spend lots of money and im not obsessed with getting more of it. I just want a cooler sound for the bike. When you say pull it out do you mean unscrew the 3 screws at the very end of the pipe and remove the shiny metal plate?

VegasEx'r
05-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by stock400exrider
When you say pull it out do you mean unscrew the 3 screws at the very end of the pipe and remove the shiny metal plate?

yup.

05-05-2002, 06:36 AM
will removing the baffle have any negative effects? will it start to backfire if i take it out and how likely am i to need to go up on the jets?

Leo
05-05-2002, 06:38 AM
the stock pipe sounds like crap w/ the spark arrestor removed (IMHO)..

negative effects include maybe getting a ticket (for no spark arrestor) and/or starting a fire :(

Leo

waldo
05-05-2002, 06:48 AM
drill a 3/4 hole in the baffle and put back together

works good just what you want!!!!!! if anything only jet change would be the slow jet so it starts easyer (pilot jet)

Tommy 17
05-05-2002, 06:58 AM
if u want a differnt noise... take off ur air box cover... its louder and sounds pretty differnt... i don't like it but i have to do it with mine for now till i get a pipe but thats not for a long time...