PDA

View Full Version : Designed new LEM Condor pipe

daddyrat
02-23-2005, 05:07 AM
I have modified my son's Condor with a KTM 50 sxr jr motor. I had to cut and modify the frame to make the bigger jug fit. The stock pipe is very restrictive, straight pipe, so I bought a KTM dirt bike pipe off Ebay and modified it to fit.

There is no room underneath the little quad for the pipe so I swung it outside the floor board, drag pipe style. and did my best to keep it out of my son's way. The quad now has good torque and an unstoppable top end. It is geared down to pull it through the trails and to keep my son out of trouble.

I have designed wheel spacers for it and modified a Polini brake pedal for it since the hand brakes were useless. There are no aftermarket parts for the Condor so this project has been very challenging.

I had to down grade the quality of the picture to make it fit the attachment requirements.

mxmike17
02-23-2005, 09:00 AM
WOW, Id love to see that riping it up.:eek2:

Cody_300ex
02-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Looks like a drag pipe to me. :confused:

daddyrat
02-24-2005, 02:44 AM
The Condor has 6 inches of ground clearance. The pipe is up to 5 inches wide. There is no room for a up swept pipe so the drag style seemed to be the only option.

This quad stock with the straight pipe has around 2.5 horsepower. This will pull the quad around a yard but won't cut it on the sandy trails of northern Michigan. The new motor has around 5 horsepower and the pipe adds to that.

My son is six and fits it perfectly now. He has a younger brother will ride it when his abilities improve a little more. I suppose I could have sold it and bought a Caymen with plenty of aftermarket parts but my wife says I already spend too much on quads.

I wasn't trying to build a racer, just a quad that can follow me around in real offroad conditions...

Arctic Cat Dad
02-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Cool quad. I have an engine just like that. Isn't that a G6 Franco Morini engine. I have both the s5gs and the 6. They will make a little dirt bike move.

daddyrat
02-25-2005, 02:34 AM
The KTM dealer said it is a S5-GS motor. The stock motor would only run for about 20 minutes and than stall out. I swapped the coil but it was a no go. I was later told the small cast iron cylinder holds too much heat. This motor has a huge jug and cooling fins and should cool much better.

Arctic Cat Dad, got any pictures of your 70cc? I will be looking for a 70 or 90cc maybe this year, I have been waiting for the right moment to spring the idea on my wife.

Arctic Cat Dad
02-25-2005, 10:08 AM
dadyrat,

Here is a picture of my son at the Ironman GNCC National race in Indiana. I've done alot of work to it since then. We just put a new set of works suspension on front and rear. Replaced the stock carb and air system with a new 20mm Keihin carb and Koso racing intake,boysen 2 petal power reeds and cage and snuffer, with a UNI filter in a XC airbox. We also had the plactic airbrushed in flame graphics. It should look and run awesome. I will post new pictures in a week or so when it's all complete.

yes the Morini engine will run hot. I have one in a Husqvarna dirt bike for Michael. What clutch are you useing. The 2 shoe with springs or the 3 shoe with the cupped washer stack to control the hit of the clutch. I have alot of maintence in the upkeep of this clutch system.

daddyrat
02-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Arctic Cat Dad, awesome quad! I would like to see the pictures posted after the work is done.

I assumed my son's has the two shoe clutch in it but I haven't pulled the cover off yet. I probably should have checked before I ordered them. I ordered the two shoes and am planning on putting them in with the heavier springs tommorrow. I have heard of the three shoe clutch in the forums but really don't know much about them. I wanted this clutch to engage at a little higher rpm to help get things moving so I got the medium "red" springs. Stock springs are bare, red heavier, white heaviest. Thanks for your posts...

daddyrat
03-15-2005, 05:02 AM
This quad rips!!! I took my son out to a frozen lake last weekend and he loves his quad! It has good low end power and absolutely screams on the top end. I jetted it before we went and it runs clean throughout the powerband. Can't wait for spring and to try it in the dirt. Mission accomplished!

dirtmomma
03-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Nice to see someone mod a Condor :) we also have one that our 6 yr old rides flattrack & TT
this past weekend he had a hell of a time @ the TT :( wayyyy underpowered!! WE are thinking of putting a kawi 65 head on it w/ a bigger carb, & wondring if the Cayman pipe would work or look for an aftermarket one, I thought Robbsracing could get or knew of a pipe for them?

does the pipe get in the way???? Of his feet?? Our lil guy rides a TRX90 on the trails/dunes(just started) so after riding that then getting on the condor he's like what the heck!!

Nice job!! :)

daddyrat
03-18-2005, 04:34 AM
Dirtmomma, I would ditch the cast iron top end. I bought a reed induced S5-GS motor off E-bay which came with a 18mm mikuni carb. I have seen simular top ends only, being sold on E-bay. It was a struggle to mod the frame to make it fit though. I than bought a lot of 2 KTM 50 dirtbike pipes off E-bay for $24 and cut and pieced them together to fit. I swung the pipe outside the floorboard and it doesn't seem to get into my son's way. There are no aftermarket pipes available for the Condor.

You also could just make a pipe, get a Uni-filter, and rejet for good power gains. The stock straight pipe is the real problem. I'm not interested in racing but I'm sure my son's Condor would clean up! It would be cool seeing such a small quad ripping it up on the larger ones...

dirtmomma
03-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Hey Daddyrat, I was looking online last night & found this website www.50ccmotocross.com they sell LEM parts!!! I think we might check into the 70cc kit :D emailed them about pipes, I remember they had them once, in fact it says on the site to compliment the mods get one of thier pipes!!
They've got some decent sounding mods it looks like!!

daddyrat
03-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Dirtmomma, you can also go to www.peeweepower.com, it has links to several LEM performance shops, it also has a LEM forum. I have spoke to Steve at Motowest, Bob of Bobs cycle, Rob of Robb's racing and also Mike Marion at ACracing. All seemed like great guys and were very helpful...