PDA

View Full Version : Banshees

Mxjunkie
02-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Well yet again ive come across something that might actually not turn out to be a trx250x that was a trx125 when i went to the guys house lol a kid has offered me a 1999 yamaha banshee with fmf pipes and a boost bottle for trade stright up for my 2002 cr80.

I was just wondering is there any flaws, are they easy to blow up? and how can i look for abuse if there was any.

also do the fmf's sound anything like the toomleys and such?

LazeR
02-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
I was just wondering is there any flaws, are they easy to blow up? and how can i look for abuse if there was any.

also do the fmf's sound anything like the toomleys and such?

I dont think they are easy to blow up, my friend has a 2002 Shee and he has never rebuilt it and its only lost 10 points in compression. The FMF's sound awesome i actually like them better then toomeys!

Toadz400
02-23-2005, 06:27 AM
I own a Banshee and the only problems I have gotten from it were my fault or a friend abusing the hell out of it. As long as you take care of it you won't be disappointed, and they have an awesome powerband that with the proper mods will rip your arms off...and leave you wanting more:D . I'd say get it if it's running good.

Jay99400ex
02-23-2005, 06:53 AM
I would trade in a second :)

Kennethyfz450
02-23-2005, 07:19 AM
i would ride that banshee, then trade.....

Mxjunkie
02-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Kennethyfz450
i would ride that banshee, then trade.....

Im hoping he can let me, All my friends so far say this banshee the kid has is soo fast but seems like everyones bike is fast nowadays.. I sure as hell dont want to pay for the bill if it blows up, 2 of everything :scary:

heres what im trading for it..

blue416ex
02-23-2005, 01:39 PM
i had a banshee and had nothing but problems they are all maintenance and i had the fmf pipes too they sound nothing like the toomeys the fms sound similar but they are the typical fmf sound mufffled and choked up tooeys sound much more freeflowing wich is nicer a way too see if the motor is losin the topend (needs rings) kick it n if its really easy i wouldnt depending o the year if its older dont trade if its newer i mightdepending on how it is to kick a hard to kick like it has alot of compression is good if its east i wouldnt unless u want to put money into it thats my 2 cents on it :rolleyes:

Toadz400
02-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by blue416ex
i had a banshee and had nothing but problems they are all maintenance and i had the fmf pipes too they sound nothing like the toomeys the fms sound similar but they are the typical fmf sound mufffled and choked up tooeys sound much more freeflowing wich is nicer a way too see if the motor is losin the topend (needs rings) kick it n if its really easy i wouldnt depending o the year if its older dont trade if its newer i mightdepending on how it is to kick a hard to kick like it has alot of compression is good if its east i wouldnt unless u want to put money into it thats my 2 cents on it :rolleyes:

I think you just had a bad experience and didn't take proper care of your Banshee. I've had my own share of problems with mine, but they have all been my fault and could've been prevented, if I ever had a chance to get another Banshee for cheap I'd do it. Definately worth putting money into it, each dollar you put into the engine feels like another HP;) .

Ride the Banshee and look over the quad, make sure everything looks okay...listen to the engine, make sure it idles and revs freely throughout the powerband. Anyone that is selling their quad should have it jetted properly, so it should run properly also. Let us know how it is.

Oh and the maintenence for a Banshee is the same as other quads that put out a lot of power, make sure all the bolts are tightened down, do regular jetting checks (Banshees are very sensitive to weather changes), make regular oil changes in the tranny (when recommended in the manual), make sure you run the right octane gas and gas mixture and you will have a strong running bike for a long time.

red2004 TRX450R
02-23-2005, 03:18 PM
I had a used shee and it was like 8 years old when i got it.
It was road hard and put away dirty! LOL
it was never rebult and i had it for like 2 years!
the only proplems I had with it was that the people that owned it before me worked on it and they should not have!!!!!!
I just fixed the stuff they messed up and it ran like a champ.

my 2 friends had brand new shees and I had a 8 year old beat up stock one. There where so closes in power and accelaraton it was not even funney.

boy I miss my Shee I will be getting a new one in 2007- 2008!!

PBlackmon
02-23-2005, 04:34 PM
If there is nothing wrong with the quad, I would definately trade!!! Especially since you are already used to 2-strokes!

400exrider707
02-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
I had a used shee and it was like 8 years old when i got it.
It was road hard and put away dirty! LOL
it was never rebult and i had it for like 2 years!
the only proplems I had with it was that the people that owned it before me worked on it and they should not have!!!!!!
I just fixed the stuff they messed up and it ran like a champ.

my 2 friends had brand new shees and I had a 8 year old beat up stock one. There where so closes in power and accelaraton it was not even funney.

boy I miss my Shee I will be getting a new one in 2007- 2008!!

If I was you I'd jump on one sooner (if your getting new) cause they might get phased out before then............

wheeltrax
02-23-2005, 07:00 PM
they are awesome to ride when they are running. One of my friends banshees seems to always have something broke with it, but he rides hard. i have 3 other friends that have banshees and they are still running good. They are a higher maintaince then a 4 stroke, but will smoke any 4 stroke, stock for stock.