PDA

View Full Version : uneven brake pad wear

gump
02-22-2005, 10:17 PM
my outside rear pad wears out alot faster than the inside pad, it's like i have to change the outside 3 times as much than the inside. i do cange both and save the good ones to use for just riding, anyone know what's up ?

TCracin440ex
02-22-2005, 11:58 PM
bearings in the carrier might be bad causing the axle to move arround which will make the rotor touch 1 side of the pad more than the other side...this is what happed to my 400ex when my bearings went bad...1 side of my pads wore slam down...and the other side still has life left

the way to check your bearings in your rearend is to put the bike on a lift and have the tires off the ground and try to move the axle....if it has play then replace the bearings, and dust seals...which is like 95 bucks from honda...i think 85 for the bearings and like 10 for the seals..thats what it costed me last time i orderd bearings from honda

Rich250RRacer
02-23-2005, 03:09 PM
You may have a caliper hanging up. Make sure all the slides move freely.

400grl
02-23-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm guessing a cupped/warped rotor - my rear rotor is cupped like a soup bowl....I burned through my new rear pads in two rides.....then noticed why!!! Check your rotor.......;)

motoboy66
02-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Its the slider pins for the caliper. They need to be cleaned often. When you use the breaks, they cause the caliper to move towards the inside a little. When you let off the breaks the piston is moving back, but your caliper is not slidding back. This is causing our outside pad to remain slightly in contact with the rotor, causing it to wear. take it all apart, and clean the caliper slider pins. These are th ones that go into the ruber boots, not the ones that go through the break pads.

JOEX
02-23-2005, 09:32 PM
To add to what the others posted...

There is a shim that goes on behind the caliper side pad. Not everyone catches that, myself included:ermm: I don't remember what side wore more because of that but when I noticed that one side was wearing more I switched the pads around to even out the wear.