PDA

View Full Version : 250x starting probs

phatswinn
05-04-2002, 02:28 PM
i think my timings off on my friends 250x, does anyone have the timeing diagram or anything showing how to get the timeing right?

thanks for the help,
matt

Rastus
05-04-2002, 03:12 PM
You could tell your freinds to go down to the Honda dealer and order a maintenance book. If you want me to tell you how to do it, i will, but i recommend buying the book.

Rastus
05-04-2002, 03:14 PM
Also, what is it doing?, will it not hardly start, etc. Or will it start eventually?

phatswinn
05-04-2002, 07:54 PM
we toed it and we could get it started and running for allitle while but it would quit, and it will not start with the kick start, we think the time ig is off about 1-3 teeth, if anyone else could help that would be great because we've got a ig ride coming up in 20 days and this needs to be fixed

thanks

05-05-2002, 04:22 AM
If it started depending on how it run, I would check the compression.

05-05-2002, 04:26 AM
If the timming jumped there is no resetting it you just replace the chain.

phatswinn
05-05-2002, 08:10 AM
the timing didny jump, he just put it togather wrong, i think it could be compression because it wont start on the kick starter

05-05-2002, 11:21 AM
Tell me what all did this guy do? Did he have it bored?

phatswinn
05-05-2002, 12:26 PM
im really not shur what he did but i am shur he took the timing chain off and its not on right, thanks for the help

nakomis0
05-05-2002, 01:43 PM
I think you can hook an automotice timing light up to it.

Try that. If its posssible, is there a cap on the flywheel cover you can take off? there should be 2, one in the center for rotating the flywheel, and the other that gives access to the rim of the flywheel.

Hook the timing light up, and shine it into the hole where you can see the rime of the flywheel. You should see some indicator marks that will be lined up, if the timing is correct.

There will probably be a few marks on the flywheel, one is probably a 'T', and the other is probably an 'F'. You want to use the 'F' mark.

You are suppose to line the cam gear up, before putting the chain on, so If you buddy just slapped the chain on, than he probably didnt get it lined up right. Save some time and open her back up, and get that gear lined up.

ps. if you want help on how to line them gears up, pm me or just ask in a thread.

05-05-2002, 08:36 PM
Well it's best for this guy just to get a book on it. It's not hard, it shows step by step how to do it. But it,s got to be right on if it,s just a little off it will run like sh?t. It can be like a half of a tooth off and be wrong. The timming gear on the crank goes on two ways and only one is right.(Good luck!)

Rastus
05-06-2002, 02:06 PM
I have the manual for mine and could scan some pictures from it for you.
But, you want the "T" mark instead of the F mark.There will be a little index mark (or a little nick) on the case where the timing hole is.The index mark should be on the right side of the timing hole.Align the "T' Mark and the index mark up.(it helps to have a buddy to put a screwdriver against the flywheel to hold it).
On the top, there should be mark on the chain sprocket at 180* from each other (in other words, they make a straight line).
Put the cam in, positioning the lobes of the cam down(put the gear around the front of the cam, but dont tighten the bolts, just let it hang.).Align the mark of the cam gear with the top of the head.( its easy)And put the chain on the sprocket.Make sure you buddy still hasnt moved, because if he has let go, you have to do it all over again.Check and see if the marks on the cam gear align with the top of the head. If they are lined up, put the gear on the cam and tighten the bolts.(if you need pictures of this procedure, ive got them).

When your done, make sure the "F" mark is lined up the index mark, the marks on the cam gear are lined up with the head surface ,and make sure the lobes of the cam are down.You are done with timing! Make sure when you put everything back on to seal it up nicely. That WILL work, ive done it before :)

Hope this helps.

phatswinn
05-08-2002, 01:42 PM
yea some pix of it would be great thans for the help